Large OSV Master to Master Inland AGT

I’ve worked on vessels where the senior officer had the “deck” and a junior officer has the “conn”. The “deck” has overall command of the watch but “conn” is doing all of the navigation and watchkeeping duties. Basically, “deck” is training “conn” until the old man feels comfortable giving the JO the “deck and conn”. It was announced on the bridge who had what duty and if the junior had to step down for a minute the senior officer assumed the “deck and conn”.

If you’re talking about OICNW, you’re talking about STCW. Whether you know it or not.

But I understand your point. Which is, essentially, that there can never be a chief mate on board without a chief mate license. Even if common sense and the Coast Guard says that there can be.

3 Likes

So sez the guy who cannot comprehend the meaning of “navigational watch” or the necessity that it be uninterrupted. Fair winds and following seas cap.

Hopefully it’s a confusion of definitions. The Mate/OICNW is responsible for more than just “the navigational watch”. He is the Officer of the Deck and is responsible for the whole operation of the vessel during his watch. He can temporarily delegate the safe navigation to someone else but he doesn’t stop being the Mate on Watch. There cannot be two on watch simultaneously, and taking turns at the wheel isn’t “switching out who is mate”.

My take is that the OICNW must stand watch in accordance with instructions from the master.

In my experience deep-sea the officer on watch is allowed to use his judgement with regards to using the head. Typically the AB would have to be in the wheel house. On some ships I have been told by the master that as watch officer I was allowed (or required in some situations) to leave the bridge for longer periods while at anchor.

On the tugs and on small coastwise I’ve seen the mate relieved by a deck hand for meals.

Bottom line is it’s up to the master.

what hideous disease caused this forum to die such a horrible death?

3 Likes

You!

picked off by a sniper! tell me, you were sitting camouflaged on the shitter just waiting for me…weren’t you?

point for you little man…

2 Likes

That is both true and completely off topic.

This is true only if the master allows it. It the master does not allow it is not true.

I have never heard of an OSV master NOT allowing this so it also isn’t really pertinent to this discussion.

Do you think it’s possible for 4, 5, or more licensed individuals to ALL be the officer of the watch for 12 hours a day on the same dates?

if my understanding is correct member “Lash” is saying that if there are two officers in the wheelhouse and one leaves, the officer that remains in the wheelhouse is the OICNW.

You seem to be saying that the OICNW, is the officer that leaves the bridge.

I’m saying that it’s up to the master.

No dog in this fight.

I’m saying that the title of Officer of the Watch, otherwise known as Mate or OICNW, doesn’t change to the wheel relief when he briefly leaves the bridge. Also, if it’s a boat working 12 hour watches them there can only possibly be 2 people onboard who are ever Officer of the Watch. In a bridge team of two licensed individuals one of them is in charge of the watch, even if he leaves the bridge temporarily.

STOP THIS NONSENSE!

anyone can be in charge of a navigation watch if they have the required license for the vessel and it is only up to all the parties involved to decide who is in fact the person in charge. I get a meal relief and go down to eat, the relieving officer becomes in charge of the watch. There are two OICNWs on the bridge and one wants a break, the other officer can assume being in charge of the watch as long as the two parties agree and hand over the conn. The other man can leave the bridge if he so wishes but that would eliminate having a lookout present which is required by the COLREGS. Some vessel masters might require an AB be present on the bridge if one officer leaves but that is up to the master to require in standing orders. As far as I know there is no regulation in the CFRs that say that there always must be two or more men present while a vessel is underway (but I may be wrong on that). I do know that many vessels operate with only one man on the bridge in favorable conditions.

the nub of this is, if I am the OICNW and leave the bridge without another qualified OICNW present then I remain in charge of that watch and fully liable for anything that might occur when I am not present HOWEVER, if I leave the bridge with another qualified OICNW present with the clear understanding between both of us that he is now in charge, then I leave without liability for that man’s actions. ALL THAT IS REQUIRED IS THERE BE A QUALIFIED OICNW DIRECTING THE MOVEMENT OF THE VESSEL…PERIOD!

[quote=“c.captain, post:216, topic:46401”]
PERIOD!
[/quote].

The main topic here is on a vessel with two officers on watch with both qualified to be bridge watch standers should both officers get credit from the CG for sea time as OICNW for licence advancement

why not? the Coast Guard gives away everything else

So for a whole other side to the discussion, how is it that as a Chief Mate on a tanker, with 3 junior mates and not standing watch, I still keep my OICNW? Haven’t stood a bridge watch in 3 years.

1 Like

These guys need to take a happy pill and calm down.

2 Likes

Very good question.