Job Search

Just an update of my progress in the GOM.

Slacks , tie and sport coat ,where a huge hit…I know it opened more than a few doors…
Researching these companies were another big plus…Haveing spoken to most of the right people and having filled out on line applications ahead of time helped as well…Asking to stop by and meet these folks when I was down there worked great …Nothing like dropping the name of the HR person and having the receptionist ask…" Are they expecting you?"…You can say yes, they sure are !!
.One more thing that helped save time was to print out on line apps, so you have a copy…Sometimes the recruiter or HR person can’t find yours…
I didn’t flood the market by hitting 20 or 30 companies…I focused on 12…I had made up nice folders with the companies name on them,…I had copied all of my documents and put them in the order of importance depending on what I was trying to achieve…Along with a copy of their application and a copy of my resume and cover letter…That way they had everything they could possibly want in one nice neat folder that stood out from the stacks of other applications… I also had all the origanals in a nice immitation leather sachel…This format was received very well especially because they didn’t have to go make copies of everything…
My first stop was at Edison Chouest…I got right in to see Nicky…It went very well…We talked for a very long time and we later went to lunch…I spent most of the day there waiting for an opening to come up…None did…There is still a very good possibility that when a spot opens I may get the call…
I went on down the list and was offered a spot from another company the second day, on a supply vessel…The pay was lower than I expected because I will be starting out as an OS … I don’t have the assesments signed off for RFPNW yet …They are a small company but my research showed that they have excellent managers and I think it will really grow…Medical,401 K ect…They have new builds coming out in the spring and were very encouraging to me that they would do all that they could to get these assesments signed off,so my AB would be useful to me and them…They let me think it over and I was to get back to them…
I did 8 companies that day and then I finished off the rest , on Friday…
Now the dilema,wait for an opening at Chouest and hope that Nicky doesn’t forget me…?. or take the lower paying job with the smaller company that are motivated to get these assesments signed off…
One more problem that has come up…Several of the companies asked about previous medical conditions and surgeries…I have had a few surgeries…They said I will probably need documentation from my DR. to show that there are no restrictions…I have never heard anything like this or seen anything discussed here…Is this part of the new medical evaluation from NMC? … I have stalled the one offer, for now and am returning home to get the medical files that will show that I am fine…It will also give me time to digest all that I have seen and heard during my visit…
Things are definately slower and there were many people applying for jobs…The thing that suprised me the most was the amount of quality time that some of the HR people gave me…I didn’t expect that…They also made sure and showed me all the stacks off applications that they had on file…
The only jobs that I saw that were actively being recruited for were 1600 Ton Masters with towing…Everything else seemed to have more than enough applicants to choose from…

Shellback
Great work on your part iam sure your effort will pay off soon. I wish you all the best. Sorry I cant help you. I wanted to ask which companies where looking for 1600 ton Masters Towing?
Frank

Maybe I’m too old school to know how thing work nowadays, but I can’t believe that the USCG would let you, a QM2, have an AB endorsement and not RFPNW!? It boggles my mind!

Shellback, not absolutely sure, but I know when I was hired on with the company I work for now, I had a more thorough medical exam then I did when I joined the military back in the mid '80’s. Assessments, yes a company says that they will help you complete your assessments, but it also depends on the captain on the vessel you are on. Good luck!

Where do you live. Or what port areas are closest? I might have a few suggestions on a couple of companies. The bitch is getting the RFPNW if you get on a smaller vessel. I have a alien AB that can barely speak and understand english and he wants me to sign him off. I have tried to explain that on vessels of 200 gt or less he can only get 50% and no steering or helm assessments on a vessel less than 100 gt. Since he can’t understand that he get Nada,Zilch, Nothing.

What port areas do you live near? I may have a few suggestions. On the RFPNW you may have to accept something you do not way to get it signed off. First off the vessel needs to be over 200 gross tons. Or it will only count for 50% of the needed assessments. All steering and helm order assessments must be completed on vessels over 100 gross tons. And make sure the person signing off on the assessment meet all of the requirements listed in the NMC Policy.
Frankinooner, What kind of Towing experience do you have and where are you recent? With the new ITB/ATB units, a lot of companies need the 1600 ton license over the towing. My experience is that they always need you when you don’t need a job.

Tugboat
Hi great to hear from you again. I only have Z-drive harbor tug background and very limited wire exp. What do you think?

Frank, I just heard it in passing and will try to remember who said it…

Jeff, I completely agree…I have been pouring over policy letter 14-02 and the safety manual as well…Norleen’s office sent me some things about prior Navy watch standing as well but there is one little sentence that mentions recency being 5 years…I have my original PQS book for lookout but nothing for the helm so I think I’m screwed for now…

Capt Brian, I hear what you are saying…They told me all of the Masters were qualified to sign off…I’m skeptical of this type of lip service too…This medical thing will be interesting…
Tugboat…I’m out of N.California…but please, don’t tell anyone …okay?..lol
The instruction for the assessments state that the orders are to be repeated from the helm and they must be in clear english…Also you are correct that you need a vessel over 200 tons for the max credit and the helm needs to be on vessels larger than 100 tons…This particular company was willing to let me go on crewboats and work on bumping my 50 ton up or go on large supply vessels and work on my unlimited time…I need another 18 months on 200ton or larger to go for my 3rd mate …I liked their flexability and attitude…

interesting information here !!! I just keep on reading and learning…

Just got in from a 3 day rig tow. Shellback it sounds like you have received good advice. I my experience at your stage of the game it is all about the tonnage. Keep in mind if you happen to be with a company that is willing to pay some or all of your training, Stay with them! Beware of any company that wants you to sign a note or agreement on the money spent for your training. I got royally screwed at Hornbeck for not paying attention to a agreement for a class that was not really needed. Go buy yourself a copy of 46 CFR 1-40, it’s about thirty bucks. There are only about 20 pages that will rule your entire career. You are the only one that has a vested interest in advancing. Any advice you receive no matter how well intended should be able to be found in the CFR. I guess it all boils down to what you want to sail on to which path you need to take.
Frankinooner another LNG plant is getting ready to open in Sabine Tx. I think Moran and Chouest have a joint agreement to operate both places. The Houston harbor and around Port Arthur are usually good. Houston hasn’t been pay much. As a Mate on a rig towing boat you can get between 425 and 500. Southwest pass Towing, Delta Towing, Adams and Doucet, Global Towing, Crosby, Dolphin,and Harvey Gulf are just a few. If you don’t get a bite at the first couple of companies do what I did 20 years ago. LIE, lie though your resume. At the time there were no towing licenses and if you wanted to get on a tug you had to have towing experience but to get that experience you had to get on a tug. Catch 22. I sat down with a bunch of other sailors and came up with a resume that had only dead people and out of business companies on it. While I’m not saying it was the right thing to do, It worked. A lot of the rig towing companies are more willing to give a new guy a chance because of the limited and infrequent severe boat handling. Pick a port and let me know and I’ll try to let you know what information I have.
srw
tugman146@yahoo.com

…I see dead people - everywhere…