Job Fair or Wait

Hello all,

Trying to get an idea if it is worth it for me to drive 6 hours each way from DC to Ohio for the upcoming MSC Job Fair or if I should wait for the next DC or Norfolk-area fair. I need to have a job lined up before September 1st and MSC is on my wish list; I’m just not sure how long actual employment can take. From some of the conversations it seems like I’d be better off doing what I can to get their attention as soon as possible rather than waiting more than a month for the next fair. Any advice would be appreciated. I wasn’t expecting to have to find work so soon.

Get in you car and start driving.

They’re not going to hire or interview you on the spot. Mostly they just tell people what the job is about and how to apply for it. If you know all that it’s not worth going IMO. I wouldn’t drive that far just to spend 10 minutes talking to their recruiters and collecting a MSC Keychain or whatever other promotional goodies they have. You should also consider that they don’t have any openings for Entry Level right now. Not sure what position you were looking for but I’m assuming it’s OS.

They use an online application process, so even if you meet the recruiter, you’ll have to apply that way. May as well begin now.

sealiftcommand.com

[QUOTE=SgiobairOg;181650]Hello all,

Trying to get an idea if it is worth it for me to drive 6 hours each way from DC to Ohio for the upcoming MSC Job Fair or if I should wait for the next DC or Norfolk-area fair. I need to have a job lined up before September 1st and MSC is on my wish list; I’m just not sure how long actual employment can take. From some of the conversations it seems like I’d be better off doing what I can to get their attention as soon as possible rather than waiting more than a month for the next fair. Any advice would be appreciated. I wasn’t expecting to have to find work so soon.[/QUOTE]

Don’t know if its the norm, but I recall an msc engineer telling me it took him about a year from when he applied till when he stepped foot on a ship. Take the advice apply now.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;181673]They’re not going to hire or interview you on the spot. Mostly they just tell people what the job is about and how to apply for it. If you know all that it’s not worth going IMO. I wouldn’t drive that far just to spend 10 minutes talking to their recruiters and collecting a MSC Keychain or whatever other promotional goodies they have. You should also consider that they don’t have any openings for Entry Level right now. Not sure what position you were looking for but I’m assuming it’s OS.[/QUOTE]

Thanks everyone for the advice.

LI_Domer, I’m applying for 2nd Officer and Damage Control officer though I’m not sure I’ll qualify. I’ve done most of the work listed for 2nd officer but my license isn’t that large. Unfortunately having my career cut out form underneath me before I could upgrade but fingers crossed.

[QUOTE=SgiobairOg;181852]I’ve done most of the work listed for 2nd officer but my license isn’t that large.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think they’ll give you the slightest consideration for 2nd Mate if you don’t have a 2nd Mate license. Isn’t the license one of the minimum qualifications for the job?

If you don’t have a 2nd mate’s license then you are wasting your time and theirs even applying for the job.

Go to the website and look at the minimum requirements. That will tell you if you should apply.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;181870]If you don’t have a 2nd mate’s license then you are wasting your time and theirs even applying for the job.[/QUOTE]

Do they have a way to put in a general application? How do they usually handle active duty folks with experience but no license?

I’m getting a seven year career pulled out from under me and as far as I can tell coming in at the fresh out of school/zero-experience level won’t pay the bills.

Thanks for the advice either way.

[QUOTE=SgiobairOg;181928]How do they usually handle active duty folks with experience but no license?[/QUOTE]

Supply Utility, OS if you’re lucky.

Get every license you can and hurry and get your STCW classes and assessments done ASAP.

It would help people advise you if you gave us a breakdown of your experience.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;181935]Supply Utility, OS if you’re lucky.

Get every license you can and hurry and get your STCW classes and assessments done ASAP.

It would help people advise you if you gave us a breakdown of your experience.[/QUOTE]

Joined the NOAA Corps while we were still going through the GMATS school at King’s Point, was assigned to NOAAS [I]Fairweather[/I] for two years, sailing PNW and Alaskan Coast, qualified Officer of the Deck and Coxswain, work was small boat launch and recovery, and fixed and towed hydrographic survey. Also served as Damage Control Officer aboard. After [I]Fairweather[/I] I rotated ashore doing port engineer work but got out to sail on multiple occasions doing hydrographic survey and oceanographic work on NOAAS [I]Delaware II[/I], [I]Ferdinand Hassler[/I], [I]Thomas Jefferson[/I], and [I]Nancy Foster[/I]. Got my Mate 1600 February of last year. Recently sailed on NOAAS [I]Ronald Brown[/I] out in the Pacific doing buoy tending and oceanographic work. Some DP experience on the [I]Brown[/I] but don’t have the qualification there. Have my OICNW, STCW, RFPNW, ARPA, ECDIS, GMDSS, Lifeboatman, and Radar Observer certifications as well. I’m about 90 days and a CELNAV class away from 3M Unlimited.

I know that’s a drop in the bucket as far as a sea career goes but NOAA unfortunately has had too many officers and not enough ships lately so not sailing as often as I’ve wanted. I’m comfortable and confident at sea though and I’m willing to put in the work. I wouldn’t mind coming in as an AB somewhere to build the time for the license upgrades I need, my concern is that I’m coming from a 7-year O2 salary with a family and bills and I’m not confident I can make that kind of money at that level.

[QUOTE=SgiobairOg;181938]Have my OICNW, STCW, RFPNW, ARPA, ECDIS, GMDSS, Lifeboatman, and Radar Observer certifications as well.[/QUOTE]

I hope you realize that “STCW” isn’t a class, certificate, or endorsement. All the acronyms you listed are a part of and required by the STCW convention but you do not “have STCW”.

[QUOTE=SgiobairOg;181938]I’m about 90 days and a CELNAV class away from 3M Unlimited.[/QUOTE]

Stay in a get it. You’ll be much more marketable once you have it.

[QUOTE=SgiobairOg;181938]my concern is that I’m coming from a 7-year O2 salary with a family and bills and I’m not confident I can make that kind of money at that level.[/QUOTE]

As I recall that’s not a very high bar. ABs on the large OSVs were, and ABs at MSC can, earn that much or better.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;181941]I hope you realize that “STCW” isn’t a class, certificate, or endorsement. All the acronyms you listed are a part of and required by the STCW convention buy you do not “have STCW”.
[/QUOTE]

Woops, caught up in the acronyms.

Don’t get a choice on staying in unfortunately but i’m pushing for the time as much as I can.

Thanks for the help, re-assuring to know I may not be so far out pay-wise.

[QUOTE=SgiobairOg;181938]I wouldn’t mind coming in as an AB somewhere to build the time for the license upgrades I need, my concern is that I’m coming from a 7-year O2 salary with a family and bills and I’m not confident I can make that kind of money at that level.[/QUOTE]

Have you applied for random government GS jobs or even federal law enforcement jobs? With your points you get a huge advantage. Sorry to hear the rug got pulled on you so quickly as the transition from .mil to the non-.mil world can be a shock for many. .mil has a pretty strong support structure for family stuff/housing/relocation/etc.

1 Like

[QUOTE=SgiobairOg;181928]Do they have a way to put in a general application? How do they usually handle active duty folks with experience but no license?

I’m getting a seven year career pulled out from under me and as far as I can tell coming in at the fresh out of school/zero-experience level won’t pay the bills.

Thanks for the advice either way.[/QUOTE]

Oh…thought you had a credential. Applying online to MSC will not work for you right now. You will need to meet the min. requirements for the job, as the others have said.

Have you prepared your Coast Guard applications? I think you should talk to a license consultant who can help you figure out what kind of credential you may be able to apply for. They can help you prepare your paperwork and even submit it for you, and handle “glitches” if they come up.

As you get ready to leave the Navy, get a copy of your service record, AND get your personnel dept to write you a letter called a Statement of Creditable Sea Service (your DD-214 really doesn’t count) that documents each ship you were on, dates from/to and the job you did.

For consultants, Andy Hammond and Chuck Kakuska immediately come to mind. There are others, if you search they will pop up.

[QUOTE=catherder;181991]Oh…thought you had a credential. Applying online to MSC will not work for you right now. You will need to meet the min. requirements for the job, as the others have said.

Have you prepared your Coast Guard applications? I think you should talk to a license consultant who can help you figure out what kind of credential you may be able to apply for. They can help you prepare your paperwork and even submit it for you, and handle “glitches” if they come up.

As you get ready to leave the Navy, get a copy of your service record, AND get your personnel dept to write you a letter called a Statement of Creditable Sea Service (your DD-214 really doesn’t count) that documents each ship you were on, dates from/to and the job you did.

For consultants, Andy Hammond and Chuck Kakuska immediately come to mind. There are others, if you search they will pop up.[/QUOTE]

Cat, you should go back and read/reread post #12 because you missed some vital information…

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;181993]Cat, you should go back and read/reread post #12 because you missed some vital information…

Ok…never mind!

Should read After coffee. Thanks!

• Updated - - -
      • Updated - - -

[QUOTE=SgiobairOg;181938]Joined the NOAA Corps while we were still going through the GMATS school at King’s Point, was assigned to NOAAS [I]Fairweather[/I] for two years, sailing PNW and Alaskan Coast, qualified Officer of the Deck and Coxswain, work was small boat launch and recovery, and fixed and towed hydrographic survey. Also served as Damage Control Officer aboard. After [I]Fairweather[/I] I rotated ashore doing port engineer work but got out to sail on multiple occasions doing hydrographic survey and oceanographic work on NOAAS [I]Delaware II[/I], [I]Ferdinand Hassler[/I], [I]Thomas Jefferson[/I], and [I]Nancy Foster[/I]. Got my Mate 1600 February of last year. Recently sailed on NOAAS [I]Ronald Brown[/I] out in the Pacific doing buoy tending and oceanographic work. Some DP experience on the [I]Brown[/I] but don’t have the qualification there. Have my OICNW, STCW, RFPNW, ARPA, ECDIS, GMDSS, Lifeboatman, and Radar Observer certifications as well. I’m about 90 days and a CELNAV class away from 3M Unlimited.

I know that’s a drop in the bucket as far as a sea career goes but NOAA unfortunately has had too many officers and not enough ships lately so not sailing as often as I’ve wanted. I’m comfortable and confident at sea though and I’m willing to put in the work. I wouldn’t mind coming in as an AB somewhere to build the time for the license upgrades I need, my concern is that I’m coming from a 7-year O2 salary with a family and bills and I’m not confident I can make that kind of money at that level.[/QUOTE]

Capt Phoenix just gave me a nudge…as I missed this post. We work for the same organization. At any rate- I was assuming you were Navy but the advice doesn’t differ much since you are NOAA corps. Get a copy of your service record, and any sea service letters you have. Talk to a license consultant like Chuck Kakuska.

Your port engineer time also counts, but for license upgrades (not originals). If you can gather documentation of that time, do so, for the future.

Once you are credentialed, you can start applying for jobs.

[QUOTE=catherder;181994]Once you are credentialed, you can start applying for jobs.[/QUOTE]

He’s got Mate 1600 tons (and I’m guessing some level of AB) but that’s not enough for MSC work. Hopefully he can get his remaining few days required for 3M before they boot him.

If you were on the east coast I would recommend stopping in at Mid-Atlantic Maritime. The folks there who handle deck classes and job placement are awesome and could help you out. My last upgrade would not have happened without their expertise.

I hope you can get in with MSC, it’s a great outfit to work for. Benefits are too numerous to list but check some old threads on here to see. Even if you can sail a bit as AB it sounds like you would be getting your unlimited 3M in no time.