Is it illegal to support unions?

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;161518]Well why don’t you update your history on your LinkedIn page so I’ll have a better idea of our work history. I see drillships and rigs but nothing about OSV’s. How many years working on OSV’s exactly? Which ones? Doing what kind of work? Were you 1st captain or 3rd captain? No I haven’t worked up your way but we both know even there you will find good and bad outfits. If you state otherwise who is the one serving ambrosia and bullshit platters?[/QUOTE]

The shit is getting real and Scooter is the fan.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;161518]Well why don’t you update your history on your LinkedIn page so I’ll have a better idea of our work history. I see drillships and rigs but nothing about OSV’s. How many years working on OSV’s exactly? Which ones? Doing what kind of work? Were you 1st captain or 3rd captain? No I haven’t worked up your way but we both know even there you will find good and bad outfits. If you state otherwise who is the one serving ambrosia and bullshit platters?[/QUOTE]

WHAT! You know I was with OCLLC for a year on the CHLOE CANDIES as a 2nd mate when it was new. I was also master of the miserable piece of shit EPIC DIVER for a year and a half and thank God everyday nobody died on it when I was running her. A bigger floating deathtrap I have yet to endure and there were so many times I should have said NFW to those backwater bumfuck people but back then I was a good trooper who would eat the sandwich much as it made me gag.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;161514]Wow what did I do to you? Is it because I call bullshit on your hero? C.captain and I have been arguing back and forth for years doesn’t mean I don’t respect the hell out of the guy. I credit him with my finally deciding to be an active member of this forum instead of lurking. I got tired of him shitting on everything oilfield related and decided to speak up about it. He starts thread after thread solely for the purpose of talking shit about this whole segment of the industry. How many threads are started with the sole purpose of shit talking the PNW towing or fishing industries? None! Do you think that’s because y’all are beyond reproach and there is nothing bad to say? No that’s not even remotely true is it? There is good and bad all over the maritime industry from fame seeking crabbers to large prepositioned MSC ships. If I had the free time to have 9000 posts I could start new threads on all matter of things I hate. It just so happens I’m not fond of his constant assault on the OSV industry. So imagine how you would feel if I worked a year on a long liner or fishing trawler in your area. Now imagine I had the worst experience one could possibly have during that year. How would you feel if I spent the next six years starting threads bashing the entire Alaska and west coast fishing industries? You would most certainly have a thing or two to say wouldn’t you? Don’t get me wrong I’m guilty of the same in regards to unions. I spent four years in the SIU sailing deep sea. Needless to say it left a bad taste in my mouth. I voice my opinions about the unions based solely on that experience. I do not however start a thread on this forum for the sole purpose of bashing unions all day everyday like someone we know.

It’s funny you say you would avoid the gulf for the likes of someone like me. Instead of 9000 posts I’ve helped people get jobs or upgrade. There are many who actively post here whom I’ve helped in one way or another. There are even more who randomly post or just lurk. During this recent boom I helped by pointing out where to go and who to talk to. When I had a hot tip about specific positions even at other companies I would pass that info to these individuals. Some of them after having spoke with them numerous times I gave my personal info to just to use me as a reference to get a foot in the door. I did it all through direct message, email or text. I wasn’t seeking glory or accolades by openly doing it on the forums. I was just try to help people find work. If you’ve followed closely around here you would also know I harbor no ill will because you’re from up north somewhere. In fact three of the five closest friend I have in the world are from Oregon, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. You would also know I have no issues with academy grads. I find most of them are intelligent with a good head on their shoulders. I always tell them there is very little I can teach you that you don’t already know. My job is to help you use that $100k education and apply it practically to the real world. If I don’t know something I don’t bullshit them I say ya know what let’s find out together so we both know. We can’t all be super geniuses like c.scooter. So sorry I’m not sorry if you find me to be an ignorant redneck prick you’re entitled to that opinion.[/QUOTE]
We’ll I have at least a decade of working the GOM industry and I support the ccaptain OSV bashing

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;161514]Wow what did I do to you? Is it because I call bullshit on your hero? C.captain and I have been arguing back and forth for years doesn’t mean I don’t respect the hell out of the guy. I credit him with my finally deciding to be an active member of this forum instead of lurking. I got tired of him shitting on everything oilfield related and decided to speak up about it. He starts thread after thread solely for the purpose of talking shit about this whole segment of the industry. How many threads are started with the sole purpose of shit talking the PNW towing or fishing industries? None! Do you think that’s because y’all are beyond reproach and there is nothing bad to say? No that’s not even remotely true is it? There is good and bad all over the maritime industry from fame seeking crabbers to large prepositioned MSC ships. If I had the free time to have 9000 posts I could start new threads on all matter of things I hate. It just so happens I’m not fond of his constant assault on the OSV industry. So imagine how you would feel if I worked a year on a long liner or fishing trawler in your area. Now imagine I had the worst experience one could possibly have during that year. How would you feel if I spent the next six years starting threads bashing the entire Alaska and west coast fishing industries? You would most certainly have a thing or two to say wouldn’t you? Don’t get me wrong I’m guilty of the same in regards to unions. I spent four years in the SIU sailing deep sea. Needless to say it left a bad taste in my mouth. I voice my opinions about the unions based solely on that experience. I do not however start a thread on this forum for the sole purpose of bashing unions all day everyday like someone we know.

It’s funny you say you would avoid the gulf for the likes of someone like me. Instead of 9000 posts I’ve helped people get jobs or upgrade. There are many who actively post here whom I’ve helped in one way or another. There are even more who randomly post or just lurk. During this recent boom I helped by pointing out where to go and who to talk to. When I had a hot tip about specific positions even at other companies I would pass that info to these individuals. Some of them after having spoke with them numerous times I gave my personal info to just to use me as a reference to get a foot in the door. I did it all through direct message, email or text. I wasn’t seeking glory or accolades by openly doing it on the forums. I was just try to help people find work. If you’ve followed closely around here you would also know I harbor no ill will because you’re from up north somewhere. In fact three of the five closest friend I have in the world are from Oregon, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. You would also know I have no issues with academy grads. I find most of them are intelligent with a good head on their shoulders. I always tell them there is very little I can teach you that you don’t already know. My job is to help you use that $100k education and apply it practically to the real world. If I don’t know something I don’t bullshit them I say ya know what let’s find out together so we both know. We can’t all be super geniuses like c.scooter. So sorry I’m not sorry if you find me to be an ignorant redneck prick you’re entitled to that opinion.[/QUOTE]
We’ll I have at least a decade of working the GOM industry and I support the ccaptain OSV bashing

Thanks for bringing back all those horrible memories…I need a drink!

[QUOTE=c.captain;161531]Thanks for bringing back all those horrible memories…I need a drink![/QUOTE]

Meet you at the bar?

Great post Fraq! Sincerely!

You worked your way up from new hire to 2nd mate on a specialty vessel? Then you were master of a very old dive support vessel? So this means you’ve never sailed as Master of a current generation large OSV? You must have been one of those who took a DPO a job with a drilling company after I paid for your DP certificate. I paid for all your training in good faith and for a few more dollars you left for greener pastures. Now I understand the type of man you are. It appears that while you were working in the GOM you enjoyed the high day rate as you gladly took the money. After such a short tenure on the OSV side of the industry how can you claim to be an expert? Having not worked on an OSV in some time how do you claim to know that all Mariners want or need union representation? I reassert my claim that you are nothing more than a pro union agitator stirring up trouble where there shouldn’t be any.

did you say something?

you sir are such a tool!

you can EAT SHIT AND DIE NOW!

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;161514]I do not however start a thread on this forum for the sole purpose of bashing unions all day everyday like someone we know. [/QUOTE]

but you could try and we’d then see how many pages it goes before it fizzles…

no matter anything else, mariners who are not GoM born and bred morons who know better, know to hold their noses when it comes to the Gulf and that is why my anti GoM treads gain so much traction (despite the fact that I did not even start this one). You have no clue to the reputation y’all have and it has become my mission to reinforce it which y’all just happily assist me with.

Half the page views are to watch you me and the handful of others trade quips, memes and silly YouTube clips back and forth. Don’t get it twisted I imagine most of your tug and deep sea guys don’t care enough about the gulf one way or the other to hate it as much as you do. They just like to have a chuckle with their coffee and go about their day.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;161571]Half the page views are to watch you me and the handful of others trade quips, memes and silly YouTube clips back and forth. Don’t get it twisted I imagine most of your tug and deep sea guys don’t care enough about the gulf one way or the other to hate it as much as you do. They just like to have a chuckle with their coffee and go about their day.[/QUOTE]

How am I to say that I don’t enjoy providing entertainment to the unwashed troops?

wiseass sarcasm is one of the most effective means of voicing opposition views

That’s it. I’m getting popcorn now… this should get good.

I know that this thread wad started as (Is it illegal to support unions?) As we can all see it has spun way off topic.

I have been working at Edison Chouest for over 14 years. I started as a green OS and worked my way up to AB, Mate, Relief Captain and Master. I also worked as a Coordinator and at the Training Center for a short time. I have seen many people come and go. Some like working here some don’t. I can tell you that no one is being threatened with termination of their job if they do or do not sign any particular piece of paper. As far as the union topic goes I feel that it would be a VERY bad idea for many in the offshore industry especially the Gulf of Mexico. Many people would lose their jobs or at least their current positions but that is just my opinion. We all make very good money in the Gulf of Mexico and many other places around the world. I feel the benefits are more than fare. We are all entitled to our own opinions, this company that company, union not union. As far as the cut back’s go all companies have to make tough business decisions at times. Not everyone will always agree with those decisions. Many companies are laying off and even closing up shop. I would much rather see a company trim the fat and keep all of its employees working than to see a few employees keep everything the same and many employees get laid off as a result. 401K Match, Holiday Pay, Safety Bonuses, Travel Pay these things will come back over time and are all extra things that I can do without to ensure that I stay employed. There are ups and down in every industry it is how we handle them that determines who what and where we will be in the future.

since you are management there can you tell us what exactly was intended by the memo if not to compile a “Enemies of Gary” list? If is not to be used in the future when layoffs become necessary then what it is to be used for? A company does not put out such a memo to the employees to sign for no reason at all. If not to compile a list, why was it sent (or you gonna duck that question by claiming confidentiality?) I also must ask you to answer if you believe it is “illegal” for an officer on any vessel to in anyway provide support to any organization advocating for collective bargaining? If any officer does so, what do you believe the penalty issued should be? Termination? civil suit? criminal trial? firing squad on the aft deck? What will ECO do to those who “violate” ECO’s terms and policy? Do you believe ECO holds all the rights here and the officers hold none at all and have no voice to oppose Vito Chouest’s dictates? If every employee of ECO must drink the Koolaid like you to be considered “loyal” does that not speak of a company being run by a totalitarian dictator akin to Joe Stalin? The comparison is one hard to argue in light or recent events…

As far as the union topic goes I feel that it would be a VERY bad idea for many in the offshore industry especially the Gulf of Mexico. Many people would lose their jobs or at least their current positions but that is just my opinion.

care to back that statement up with details of how collective bargaining would COST jobs? Every vessel requires its mandated crew per the USCG. Collective bargaining does not change that fact. Clients also require a manning level and if the mariners belong to a union that fact would not change. If the reason people might lose their jobs because Vito Chouest might have to pay more to his mariners in form of benefits such as pensions and to preserve profits would want to make his workforce smaller to he can keep raking in the moola? Cry me a river pal!

We all make very good money in the Gulf of Mexico and many other places around the world. I feel the benefits are more than fare.

is rescinding 401K employee match for the rank and file AFTER it has been earned FAIR? How can you make such a ridiculous claim?

We are all entitled to our own opinions, this company that company, union not union. As far as the cut back’s go all companies have to make tough business decisions at times.

that has never been disputed and a union contract would never prohibit a company reducing their fleet and workforce if necessary but a collective bargaining agreement would provide transparent terms of what benefits would be curtailed, which mariners are chosen to be laidoff and what they would receive when they are other than a “thanks, we’ll call you someday when we need you again”

There are ups and down in every industry it is how we handle them that determines who what and where we will be in the future.

all accepted in the offshore industry, but Vito makes massive profits during the good times and should be in a position to offer both fair and transparent reduction in compensation and workforce in the downtimes. Like us mariners who are forced to not spend every penny we make when times are rich, Mister Gary should do the same. It is BULLSHIT for him to claim he is in poverty how and can’t afford to treat his people fairly during these times. I claim HE IS DOING NOTHING BUT TREATING THEM WITH THE GREATEST DISRESPECT HE CAN!

now to preserve any credibility for yourself, you are requested to answer these questions please…

[QUOTE=Brandon75;161700]I know that this thread wad started as (Is it illegal to support unions?) As we can all see it has spun way off topic.

I have been working at Edison Chouest for over 14 years. I started as a green OS and worked my way up to AB, Mate, Relief Captain and Master. I also worked as a Coordinator and at the Training Center for a short time. I have seen many people come and go. Some like working here some don’t. I can tell you that no one is being threatened with termination of their job if they do or do not sign any particular piece of paper. As far as the union topic goes I feel that it would be a VERY bad idea for many in the offshore industry especially the Gulf of Mexico. Many people would lose their jobs or at least their current positions but that is just my opinion. We all make very good money in the Gulf of Mexico and many other places around the world. I feel the benefits are more than fare. We are all entitled to our own opinions, this company that company, union not union. As far as the cut back’s go all companies have to make tough business decisions at times. Not everyone will always agree with those decisions. Many companies are laying off and even closing up shop. I would much rather see a company trim the fat and keep all of its employees working than to see a few employees keep everything the same and many employees get laid off as a result. 401K Match, Holiday Pay, Safety Bonuses, Travel Pay these things will come back over time and are all extra things that I can do without to ensure that I stay employed. There are ups and down in every industry it is how we handle them that determines who what and where we will be in the future. [/QUOTE]

Only 2 questions:

1. How does ECO justify that complete and utter lie about something being illegal in that loyalty pledge or oath or farce (whatever we are calling it) which is most certainly not?

2. How does ECO justify taking away the previous year’s 401K match by just sending out an email 2-3 months into this year?

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;161715]Only 2 questions:

1. How does ECO justify that complete and utter lie about something being illegal in that loyalty pledge or oath or farce (whatever we are calling it) which is most certainly not?

2. How does ECO justify taking away the previous year’s 401K match by just sending out an email 2-3 months into this year?[/QUOTE]

thanks Johnny, but I also asked those same questions plus many more above. If this guy does not come back and provide truthful answers he is a deadman walking here

[QUOTE=c.captain;161716]thanks Johnny, but I also asked those same questions plus many more above. If this guy does not come back and provide truthful answers he is a deadman walking here[/QUOTE]

Well, for first time poster Brandon75, I want to make sure that he understands this is something that a lot people are curious / pissed off about. Union and non-union, oil patch, deep sea, and tugs/barges, and even some ECO employees.

This contract would be cumbersome and hinder my ability to make fast decisions to protect the company. I also do not claim poverty as you suggest. Again I believe you are confusing my personal assets and business assets which are not one and the same. I own the company I take all the financial risk and therefore I get a bigger slice of my pie.

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;161731]This contract would be cumbersome and hinder my ability to make fast decisions to protect the company. I also do not claim poverty as you suggest. Again I believe you are confusing my personal assets and business assets which are not one and the same. I own the company I take all the financial risk and therefore I get a bigger slice of my pie.[/QUOTE]

Your pie MY ASS! You own no boats and employ no mariners. You are an Imposteur and a Faux Jeaux!

Now begone with you now from this place before I really let you have it!