Is it illegal to support unions?

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;161383]You appear to be a primary instigator of discord on every topic discussed here.[/QUOTE]

you’re flattery will get you nowhere

I most certainly do not think of any mariner as boat trash. What is your legitimate gripe with working in the OSV industry? Have you ever worked for any major OSV company? I doubt it based on your poor attitude displayed here. I’m most certain you are as brusk in person as you come off here.

man, where have you been since 2008? Obviously not here!

OK Jeaux Bawss Hawg…so if I am to believe you’re King Shit at your company feeding your workers ambrosia sandwiches everyday, would you care to tell us which company that might be? Didn’t think you would!

There are several valid points raised on both sides in this threads. With that, there is also a whole lot of hearsay about the GoM companies. A good number of the “haters” seem to think that mariners in the gulf won’t stand up for themselves and basically bow down to their bosses. Things has changed down there quite a lot, even in the last half decade. The good ol’ boys are highly out numbered by sailors from every corner these days. Maybe the employees down there aren’t all up in arms, because they don’t feel as if they are being treated in the way a number of you depict? I still haven’t heard of such repercussions as have been mentioned several times here.

Furthermore, haven’t each of us learned that life is full of shit sandwiches??! Shit sandwiches, of various sizes, are unavoidable no matter where you are. I learned that along time ago. If I felt they were being served up to large at my current employer, I’d walk out. I believe a large sum of crew down there would also.

The oil field is volatile. We have all taken some cuts. We know it sucks, but it’s been a relatively small shit sandwich. A shit slider as it were…

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;161384]I want the concept of officer (be it mate or engineer) and carrying around a spit/dip cup while on watch to be mutually exclusive. So, as much as your “gold spit cup with the company logo to spit my skoal into…” maybe a joke, it speaks volumes about the people who work in the industry and repeatedly let Jeauxx shit all over them.

And I definitely want you to stop using the word “rad.” For god’s sake, you’re already gobbling down the sandwich, pls don’t make it worse.[/QUOTE]

I have a disgusting sea story story about a Budweiser longneck that had become a spittoon at a table in a dive where we were all drinking Budweiser longnecks.

Seems like I remember someone a lot like you crying, I mean Heartfelt Sobbing, on account of being fired off a job 'cause a office Pup didn’t like the way you were putting together newbuilds… Hmmm,

[QUOTE=“smoker”][/QUOTE]
Come on Smoker… If you had a clue what it takes to start , own and operate a business you would stick to the union topic…
Not every successful business owner was born into it, or with a silver spoon stuck in their ass. " borrowing millions" as you say is certainly not the recipe to becoming successful as a business owner. Most people who succeed have mortgaged/risked everything that they and or their family owns to get started , most pay themselves last … That is if there is enough money left to pay themselves. Come on man , WAKE UP !
You exemplify the union mentality, HOORAY for the employee and Fuck the company. This works great for everyone involved right up to the point that you have sucked the company dry and you are unemployed. Mind you the union leaders are not out of work, only you an the millionaire jet setting business owner.
Yes, yes…I’m stepping down off my soap box.

[QUOTE=Oil_Is_Evil;161396]Seems like I remember someone a lot like you crying, I mean Heartfelt Sobbing, on account of being fired off a job 'cause a office Pup didn’t like the way you were putting together newbuilds… Hmmm,[/QUOTE]

Something like that, but it would have been WORSE at a union company, right?

With that said, I like Fraq and the expertise he brings to this place, so I hope he doesn’t think I’m talking shit. For all he know’s I’m the 3rd captain on his boat.

I wasn’t fired and that was totally my fault and I admitted that here on this forum. I could’ve just kept my mouth shut but I didn’t. I know what I did, I know what I said, and I know who I said it to. It wasn’t my message it was how I was delivering it out of frustration.

Don’t worry Z I’m not as sensitive as scooter.

Well some cooters are more sensitive than others!

Just keepin it light folks …

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;161341]If employees wish to organize that is their right and I never stated to the contrary. I simply stated the union is unnecessary if you have honest and open communication between shoreside and the vessels. These unions are usually a hindrance to business when you have to make quick decisions to protect the bottom line. The company puts money in all of our pockets and must be protected. Why strangle the goose that lays the golden egg?
[/QUOTE]

The goose that lays the golden egg is offshore oil in the GOM. If one company goes under someone else will buy the assets.

How’d you get a 3rd Captain spot?! All I can seem to get is Mop Captain. But hey at least I’m a Captain right.

Though they told me that after they lay off some of the older guys they’d promote me to AB-Captain as long as I’m willing to be paid the same amount that they pay me now.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;161416]How’d you get a 3rd Captain spot?! All I can seem to get is Mop Captain. But hey at least I’m a Captain right.[/QUOTE]

In these tough times for jeax, you should be happy just to be any kind of captain.

[QUOTE=z-drive;161421]In these tough times for jeax, you should be happy just to be any kind of captain.[/QUOTE]

I have noticed that Jeaux has evaporated since I put it to him to identify his company where all the mariners are treated like family. He was a fraud!

Sorry to disappoint you sir but I’m not going anywhere. You have your anonymity and I have mine as well. This is an interesting forum and one can truly get a feel for the Mariners mindset. I have come to notice that the majority of pro union sentiment is coming from non OSV Mariners. Why would people not even working in this industry be so concerned with wether there was collective bargaining between myself and my mariners. I would also like to understand your references to “ambrosia” and “shit sandwich”?

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;161427]Why would people not even working in this industry be so concerned with wether there was collective bargaining between myself and my mariners. I would also like to understand your references to “ambrosia” and “shit sandwich”?[/QUOTE]

I am disappointed but to allay your skepticism of my background, I worked in the offshore from 2006 thru 2012 mostly in the GoM including two OMSA member companies. I feel the fare served at each was a whole platter of shit sandwiches especially at the first company I was with for a year. Suffice to say that many here know where I was so can attest to the veracity of that experience but your claim of being an owner/manager of vessels in the GoM has no basis of proof or at least non that you are willing to offer here to us…

care to try?

2006-2012… What a ton of experience.

[QUOTE=coldduck;161431]2006-2012… What a ton of experience.[/QUOTE]

I think that 6-7 yrs in the GOM on both OSVs and MODUs combined with his shipping and fishing experience since the early 80s is a veritable ton. Does it have to be an entire 20-40 yr career spent solely in the oil patch for you to consider it worthy enough to post in this thread?

CC doesn’t need anybody defending him, nor does he want it, but he’s more than experienced enough to know what goes on inside and outside the GOM, union and non-union alike.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;161432]I think that 6-7 yrs in the GOM on both OSVs and MODUs combined with his shipping and fishing experience since the early 80s is a veritable ton. Does it have to be an entire 20-40 yr career spent solely in the oil patch for you to consider it worthy enough to post in this thread?

CC doesn’t need anybody defending him, nor does he want it, but he’s more than experienced enough to know what goes on inside and outside the GOM, union and non-union alike.[/QUOTE]

thanks Johnny…nice to know someone stands in solidarity with me against the Joe Boss “Shit Sandwich Sycophants”. A more miserable part of an already polluted business I have yet to encounter.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=coldduck;161431]2006-2012… What a ton of experience.[/QUOTE]

you can

very much…SIR!

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;161427]Sorry to disappoint you sir but I’m not going anywhere. You have your anonymity and I have mine as well. This is an interesting forum and one can truly get a feel for the Mariners mindset. I have come to notice that the majority of pro union sentiment is coming from non OSV Mariners. Why would people not even working in this industry be so concerned with wether there was collective bargaining between myself and my mariners. I would also like to understand your references to “ambrosia” and “shit sandwich”?[/QUOTE]

You somehow still don’t seem to get that this is more about the Gods (while eating their ambrosia) just up and deciding that they are not matching last year’s 401k contributions more than 2 months into this year, and that they are telling employees and applicants that certain things are [B][I]ILLEGAL[/I][/B] which are most certainly not, as well as other aspects of shitty treatment, case in point stupid decisions about whom is losing work days.

Of course GOM mariners (who are obviously vastly non-union … not to be read as a negative statement, just a fact) are not going to be pro-union. And I am not pro-union or anti union.

I’m sure all us mariners, (regardless of sector, region, or existence/absence of CBA) are anti-getting screwed over by the office.

Six years at three different companies working mainly even time, minus time spent in a foreign shipyard for a new build. Hmmm not much time in the “Bayou”. I know that seems like a lot to a newbie like you Johnny.