Is gCaptain going to attend the upcoming MarAd symposium?

Okay then let’s take the American Officers off our overseas vessels working in foreign waters or better yet let’s pull US built vessels from foreign waters and only work them from US ports. If waivers of foreign built vessels are allowed they should be manned by the country in which they work. This includes the US. Right now we are losing on both ends. Bitch all you want but waivers are probably not going away until the market crashes. Money talks, people just mumble.

If a few small areas of the world are letting American mariners ship on American licenses even though it’s in their own waters so be it. Good for those guys who got that job. I’d like to know if those nations had any qualified mariners or vessels to use themselves.

We on the other hand do have qualified Mariners, Vessels, and the capability to make more Mariners and more vessels. There’s no reason we should allow waivers of our jones act. For that matter we should have a much larger blue water fleet. But I don’t mind foreign vessels calling on US ports from any legal or historical standpoint.

Speaking on the OSV side. Every US flag vessel working in a foreign port keeps an American master as a minimum. Many keep an American C/E as well. Usually, the rest of the crew is foreign. Take Brazil for instance, plenty of qualified mariners (according to Brazil) but still a US flag must have a US master. The rest of the crew will be Brazilian. So when a foreign vessel gets a waiver to work in US waters (whether you agree with waivers or not) at a minimum the same standard should apply.

[QUOTE=Number360;128207]Speaking on the OSV side. Every US flag vessel working in a foreign port keeps an American master as a minimum. Many keep an American C/E as well. Usually, the rest of the crew is foreign. Take Brazil for instance, plenty of qualified mariners (according to Brazil) but still a US flag must have a US master. The rest of the crew will be Brazilian. So when a foreign vessel gets a waiver to work in US waters (whether you agree with waivers or not) at a minimum the same standard should apply.[/QUOTE]

Brazil’s policies about needing a certain percentage of crews working in their waters to be their citizens has no bearing on our own policy. Brazil can do what Brazil wants. Good for them. Our own policy should be all US mariners. That is our choice to make and whatever Brazil choses to do or not do has no bearing whatsoever on that.

So our policy right now is no US mariners on boats working on waivers in US waters. I would take Brazil’s policy over what we currently have. And, it’s not just Brazil, nearly every country requires this, except for the US.

[QUOTE=Number360;128212]So our policy right now is no US mariners on boats working on waivers in US waters. I would take Brazil’s policy over what we currently have. And, it’s not just Brazil, nearly every country requires this, except for the US.[/QUOTE]

We shouldn’t be granting any waivers at all. You say waivers are here to stay, I say screw that. Of all of the un-American things that this administration has done that one ranks pretty high. Why don’t we all just quit our jobs and go on welfare tomorrow? We might as well if waivers are here to stay. I do not believe that any policy, so egregiously harmful to American citizens, can remain indefinitely. “This aggression shall not stand.”

Whether you agree with waivers or not, those that exist should have US mariners on them. A flag state probably won’t give up the Master position to another country’s master, but everyone else should be American. I don’t care for the amount of waivers this administration has allowed, but waivers have existed long before Obama. He just seems to expand on anything stupid. End the waivers, that would be great for me. I am just trying to be a realist by saying it probably isn’t going to happen. If it doesn’t happen we should at least be forcing these foreign vessels to man with American mariners.

We’ve made too many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;128216]We’ve made too many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further![/QUOTE]

As much as I hate “Trekkies”, Ok fine, you get that one quote because it was appropriate.

Minute 0:35

//youtu.be/d6wRkzCW5qI

[QUOTE=Number360;128194]Money talks, people just mumble.[/QUOTE]

I can promise you that [B]I NEVER, EVER, MUMBLE…SIR![/B]

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;128213]“This aggression shall not stand.”[/QUOTE]

The Dude agrees wholeheartedly!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Number360;128215]Whether you agree with waivers or not, those that exist should have US mariners on them. [/QUOTE]

That SIR, is EXACTLY what 33CFR part141 REQUIRES!

… the would it be good if both start talking equally

They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. The line must be drawn here! I think the over-all point that needs to be stressed is that there’s still American mariners left, we’re not dead yet, but we ARE mad as hell about what’s being done to us.