Is gCaptain going to attend the upcoming MarAd symposium?

it’s Jan 14 to 16 in case you guys have been asleep at the switch…we need you all there to represent us unwashed ones and report back what is discussed

How to grow the U.S. commercial fleet

Pamela Glass
January 7, 2014

Are you concerned about the future of the U.S. merchant marine? Well, Uncle Sam is organizing a symposium in Washington, D.C., this month with the goal of developing a national maritime strategy to help boost U.S. cargo shipping.

After reviewing ideas submitted by maritime stakeholders in October, the Maritime Administration has put together a three-day public meeting from Jan. 14-16.

Sessions will focus on growing the U.S. fleet, increasing competitiveness in international trade, taxes and regulations, training the maritime workforce and international agreements.

“While it has proven to be strong and resilient, there is a need to improve and grow the industry to ensure the availability and viability of a U.S. merchant marine in the future,” Marad said in the meeting notice. “The purpose of this initial meeting is to generate ideas that will improve, strengthen and sustain the cargo opportunities and sealift capacity of the U.S. -flagged fleet engaged in international commercial trade.”

While the symposium will focus on bluewater shipping, there are implications for the brownwater sector, as the U.S. operates an intermodal marine transport network that relies on healthy coastal, ocean and inland fleets.

If you would like to attend the meeting, you’ll have to act fast. The deadline to register or submit a presentation is Jan. 8. Can’t make it to Washington? You can also register to speak by calling in or to listen by phone.

Contact Mickalyn Valentine at mickalyn.valentine@dot.gov
202-366-3907. For more information about the symposium:

Regulations.gov

better get those tickets and hotel reservations guys…pronto!

[QUOTE=c.captain;127851]it’s Jan 14 to 16 in case you guys have been asleep at the switch…we need you all there to represent us unwashed ones and report back what is discussed

better get those tickets and hotel reservations guys…pronto![/QUOTE]

I say we all go and show up hammered and then tell them all how unfair it is that we get labeled a bunch of drunk pirates.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;127856]I say we all go and show up hammered and then tell them all how unfair it is that we get labeled a bunch of drunk pirates.[/QUOTE]

OH, OH!..can I throw up on David Matsuda?

You say he’s not there anymore and it’s Kevin Bacon now? GODDAMMIT ALL TO HELL!

Oh well…I’ll still have a fine time with my “dates” anyway…always wanted a threesome!

• Updated - - -

Seriously gentlemen…tomorrow is the deadline to get a seat! Rob, you need to be at this for the rest of us here.

Rob…you’re our man near the septic tank otherwise known as Washington D.C…what’s your plan to attend? Have you requested a seat yet?

The entire gCaptain community of mariners is counting on you to show the flag!

Yep, I’ll be there… let me know if there are any specific issues you want me to bring up.

[QUOTE=rob;127912]Yep, I’ll be there… let me know if there are any specific issues you want me to bring up.[/QUOTE]

We’ve got alcoholic pirates covered already, if you could touch on that and then throw in a little thing about bringing back the Jones Act I think we’d be all set. You might mention something about not granting waivers to foreign vessels that there are domestic vessels hanging around ready to do.

There is the issues of the government letting our jobs slowly go to more and more foreigners, their ignorance about the industry in general, etc etc. you really could just ask them why they insist on fucking us in the ass. Yea I have nothing very constructive to add.

Well check that, in all seriousness why not ask about why horizon lines is getting 900,000 in taxpayer dollars to spend at a shipyard in china for the LNG conversion no one of their ancient pieces of shit

I wonder what sort of taxes Horizon will pay for the work done on their ship while overseas. I imagine you can’t just go over to China and buy a $2M engine and then not pay duty on it, and the installation, when you return to the U.S.

Unless it takes 2 years, then you pay taxes on the first 6 months only… Probably just did work out of country for the 6 months.

Test post -John

[QUOTE=rob;127912]Yep, I’ll be there… let me know if there are any specific issues you want me to bring up.[/QUOTE]

Ask why marad has failed/refused to publish cargo preference enforcement regulations as required by congress.

[QUOTE=john;127934]Test post -John[/QUOTE]

receive you loud and clear John…go ahead with your transmission please

Ok folks, I’m at the symposium right now, so if you have any questions that you’d like to ask, please feel free to fire away and I’ll see what I can do.

What to do about foreign owned vessels and foreign mariners in the GoM?

Too many jobs being lost to American mariners who want the work and deserve it by law. Time to tighten the rules…A LOT!

If foreign flag vessels are working in US waters they should be required to man the vessel with US mariners. The only foreign crew onboard should be the officers.

What goddamn ass backwards sense does that make? Zero foreign vessels. And if you have one it has to be top to bottom American. Otherwise just scrap the jones act while you’re at it.

Please ask how they can justify transporting American government owned or supplied cargoes on foreign bottoms while Amercian owned ships are tied to the docks in ROS?

Ask how MARAD can claim to support American mariners when they refuse to employ American vessels.

Ask how MARAD can justify the cost of the USMMA when they do not support the US Mercant Marine by employing American vessels or mariners and so readily issue waivers for foreign vessels and crew to operate in American waters.

Ask how MARAD can justify the expenditure of taxpayer money to support the USMMA when so few of its graduates contribute to the marine industry.

Ask why MARAD is more closely aligned with military objectives (providing retirement income for sympathetic admirals and ring knockers) rather than the administration of policies intended to promote American maritime progress and growth.

I think the over-all point that needs to be stressed is that there’s still American mariners left, we’re not dead yet, but we ARE mad as hell about what’s being done to us. Ask them when they’re going to stop squeezing us out of our own industry. I’m sorry I couldn’t provide you with something more constructive but it just makes me so angry I can’t even think straight.

[QUOTE=Number360;128167]If foreign flag vessels are working in US waters they should be required to man the vessel with US mariners. The only foreign crew onboard should be the officers.[/QUOTE]

WRONG! Even Officers need to be AMERICANS!

Yea the officers and crew need to be American.