Is a Towing endorsement needed?

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;162282]Master — Every UTV of at least 8 meters (at least 26 feet) or more in length must be under the command of a master of towing vessels, or a mariner licensed as master of inspected, self-propelled vessels greater than 200 gross register tons (GRT) holding either a completed Towing Officer’s Assessment Record (TOAR), bearing the signature of a Designated Examiner and stating that the Examiner found the candidate proficient; or a license endorsed for towing vessels. 46 CFR 15.805(a)[/QUOTE]

so based on all this, I can call the ORCA a UTV and use it to sign off TOARs for mariners so they can obtain their endorsements? All I have to do is get something to tow and people to pay me for the instruction… This might be a nice little market to tap! I might be able to eventually get a real tug to do this with…here’s one I have my eye on…

If you have your DE, yea you probably could get away with it…

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;162297]If you have your DE, yea you probably could get away with it…[/QUOTE]

already checked, I can get it with a short course.

Once you get this certification would you be interested in training some of my people? I believe I want to start a towing company in the Seattle market and could use some help. I would need you to maybe certify a dozen or so Large OSV masters for this towing license. Perhaps I could keep you on in a mates position once I get the operation up and running.

Go for it!! The “c.captain towing academy”

I’d sign up for that!

Wouldn’t that be a blast…

Jeaux,  Would your 2-day towing certification class for your large OSV master's qualify them for dangerous ocean towing in the Gulf of Alaska? Surely it would, right? They are already DPO 1st Mastercaptains and I would think a little ocean towing could be mastered in a couple powerpoint presentations?

[QUOTE=c.captain;162303]already checked, I can get it with a short course.[/QUOTE]

No you can’t. The course is only to provide training in how to assess someone. Taking it doesn’t qualify you to be a DE.

1 Like

[QUOTE=jdcavo;162350]No you can’t. The course is only to provide training in how to assess someone. Taking it doesn’t qualify you to be a DE.[/QUOTE]

ok Mr. Know It All…how does a person get to be a DE? Gotta be a procedure?

you forget how to google there cap? I’m sharpening my stick

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/training/designated_examiner/designated_examiner.pdf

[QUOTE=z-drive;162355]you forget how to google there cap? I’m sharpening my stick [/QUOTE]

touche’ sir, but it is Sunday morning and I am a sofa slob today

thanks for the link though…I think I might be starting a towing school here soon

This is fantastic news sir I wish the best of luck getting your school up and running. Once your doors are open I would be thankful if you would give notice here. I wish to send my Large OSV Masters up to your school for training. The sooner we get these certifications the sooner I can start my towing business up there.

I hope you buy a real tugboat to do it with

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;162379]I hope you buy a real tugboat to do it with[/QUOTE]

but why as long as the ORCA qualifies to be considered a towing vessel?

gotta start with the tools I’se gots…once I am going I’ll go for that cool ex Army LT with the direct reversible Cooper Bessemer in her

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;162365]The sooner we get these certifications the sooner I can start my towing business up there.[/QUOTE]

You ain’t starting SHIT up here unless you got a contract with Shell. The NW belongs to the Puget Sound mafia and you aren’t getting any invites to join…unless you wanna BUY yourself a seat at the table.

I’ll take my payoff in crisp Benjies in a briefcase

you better make that two briefcases unless you got’s a really big one!

If you start signing off TOAR’s with a wooden fishing boat, you’ll be just as much as a farce as the guy running the Aiviq…

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;162384]If you start signing off TOAR’s with a wooden fishing boat, you’ll be just as much as a farce as the guy running the Aiviq…[/QUOTE]

alright…I’ll get a proper tug to do it but it does prove the point that ANY vessel can tow another vessel so why all the hubub about needing a towing endorsement to move a tug lightboat. I agree that once you make up a tow then you need to be duly certified but not until that point.

come on up and slug it out!

[QUOTE=rshrew;162389]come on up and slug it out![/QUOTE]

OH GOD NO! NY has yet to fully recover from when the coonasses invaded there in the late 80’s!

We need to put up a big sign on every tug office front door written in fat black marker saying “BEST JES KEEP A MOVIN ON DERE REB”

wouldn’t be worried about seeing troll towing in the PNW anytime soon