Inland Deckhand Job Postings

From California? No one will believe him…

The non-union California companies are not much better paying than Inland. California has a very large number of mariners, but relatively little local work for mariners. This results in a lot desperate mariners willing to work too cheap.

The union jobs in California usually pay pretty well. So those are very hard to get.

1 Like

So instead of inland, what would be a good start for a near offshore or offshore o/s or wiper?

I can only speak from personnel experience but my old companies river division would often borrow some of us guys from the offshore division. The work inland was harder, the deckhands were paid worse and none of the deck hands ever wanted to go home because they were on some work release program from prison and going back “home” just meant going back to jail.

Any start is a good start. A lot depends on where someone wants to end up. I have worked with a few guys who started inland and once they got some credentials, they got a job offshore. Main reason was to make more money.

Some guys stay inland because of the shorter rotations, less exposure to weather and having regular cell service. I guess it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you want and what you want to do career wise.

Good benefits and good money is all relative to a certain extent. Depends on the individual.

2 Likes

No family, no kids. Not worried about cell service, and love money. If I found a place I could work 3/1 would sign up when I get out of the military.

Give MAMA ( Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy) a call. They specialize in short commercial training courses for people getting out of the military. They are well connect to the industry and they host job recruiters on campus.

2 Likes

I believe it. Earlier this year I saw a deckhand listing on Craigslist in Long Beach. $150/day, 28/28 twic and dl, no mmc mentioned. I know that is good starting pay for many, but where we live median 1 bedroom rent is $2400/mo. The LBC is about $1,900.

Guess we will be eating a lot of rice and beans and beans and rice, hahaha.

Actually, I think $150 a day to start is about right for a green deckhand with no MMC, or only an OS. (No MMC is required on boats under 100 GRT, although most companies still prefer it).

I prefer guys who are committed to becoming mariners and are onboard to learn. I’m not interested in guys who are only doing it for the money.

Most companies overpay deckhands and underpay captains and engineers. Most companies also overpay for the mates who are just a warm body with a license. The seasoned and capable mates are underpaid too.

Adjusted for inflation, wages are lower now than they were 30 years ago.

1 Like

Just spoke to the person in hiring at Savage Services, he said they are looking for 6-8 inland deckhands and business is looking good. Feel free to message me if you want more details. Savage is a quality company with a ton of operations and offshore boats as well.

Good quality mates are chronically underpaid. Most of them become captains, except for the occasional poor bastard who ends up baby siting that one captain who can’t seem to get fired.

There are no shortage of guys with towing licenses, but ask any of the smaller companies owners, and larger company port captains. They’ll tell you the industry is still desperately short on quality mates and engineers, nevermind deckhands.

2 Likes

I agree that companies are drowning in a sea of resumes with Master of Towing licenses, but are having a hard time identifying and hiring the capable guys.

Computerized applications and normal corporate HR protocols do NOT work for hiring capable mariners. It requires someone who knows how to run a boat and who has good personal contacts with other employers in the industry to screen applications.

2 Likes

I agree, there is a shortage of HR and office staff that can place an accurate value on a candidates experience and background.

2 Likes

Good to hear. Thanx

Right…and the fact they have offshore boats/atbs too is a good thing. Room to grow and such.

1 Like