I need help as a sea processor/deck hand

can someone help me with some information ?

[QUOTE=helloman;192565]can someone help me with some information ?[/QUOTE]

you are lucky and find me in a forgiving mood tonight

been through the Alaskan fisheries human guts grinder so should be able to answer your questions, but just don’t expect gentle handholding

give us the short and simple version of your situation and concerns…I’ll try to help as will a few others here who are also veterans of the battle

Try to “Google it”, no free handouts anymore! #TrumpTrain

Information:

troll/trōl
noun

A mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as a dwarf.
synonyms: goblin, hobgoblin, gnome.
example: “the storybook trolls who live under the bridge”

not sure why you came to this kind of a forum to ask something about work that is most likely land based ,if it is on a boat ?? nothing special required to work for them,unless you are shooting for something else on a boat ?? which company you looking at ??

I must be the only one not seeing what information he is seeking, I’ve read this all over and can’t fathom wtf he is looking for.

[QUOTE=jimrr;192659]I must be the only one not seeing what information he is seeking, I’ve read this all over and can’t fathom wtf he is looking for.[/QUOTE]

I think he is looking for info re: work on Factory Trawlers, either as a production worker or a deck hand.

obviously our young’n is too timid to return to ask anything so who knows what he wanted from us

the sea (especially in the fisheries) is no place for the weak willed or feeble so my recommendation to him is to work in the food service industry.

There seems to be a law of parallel proportions pertaining to these “who wants to hold my hand” types of inquiries:

[I]The more vague the question is, the less likely you will ever hear from the poster again.
[/I]

Could be this job?

https://rn22.ultipro.com/WES1015/JobBoard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*62360ABF9935194A

[B][U]Based on his initial post. Located below.[/U][/B]

okay i need help i want to become deckhand but they said everyone starts off as sea processor im fine with that

there a job that is on the boat u have to be gone for 3-4 months and it goes by % of how many u catch but he said he cant tell us how much money we will make (united states seafood)
then there is a job that pays hourly (9.75) u have to pay alittle bit for food and housing but not much (westward) but u have to stay 4-5 months also u in a warehouse

im confused which one will be better for me i mean the hourly seems fine but its like i do not want to be gone that long for my first time i kinda wanted to try 3 months and come back and i dont like the idea of paying for food and housing because when i caculate the money its not alot compare to the hours you work. i dont know if it would be great for me

then the boat i went to the orientation they havent got back at me yet but i was thinking maybe they will later but if they do hire me and im not in dutch habor the said no reception at all and also said it might be some bad trips meaning we wont make any money sometimes…

help ?

All you ever want to know about being a “Processor” on a Factory Trawler in Alaska: http://www.jobmonkey.com/alaska/factory_trawlers/
(If that is what he is looking for??)

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;192670]Could be this job?

https://rn22.ultipro.com/WES1015/JobBoard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*62360ABF9935194A

okay i need help i want to become deckhand but they said everyone starts off as sea processor im fine with that

there a job that is on the boat u have to be gone for 3-4 months and it goes by % of how many u catch but he said he cant tell us how much money we will make (united states seafood)
then there is a job that pays hourly (9.75) u have to pay alittle bit for food and housing but not much (westward) but u have to stay 4-5 months also u in a warehouse

im confused which one will be better for me i mean the hourly seems fine but its like i do not want to be gone that long for my first time i kinda wanted to try 3 months and come back and i dont like the idea of paying for food and housing because when i caculate the money its not alot compare to the hours you work. i dont know if it would be great for me

then the boat i went to the orientation they havent got back at me yet but i was thinking maybe they will later but if they do hire me and im not in dutch habor the said no reception at all and also said it might be some bad trips meaning we wont make any money sometimes…

help ?[/QUOTE]

That’s not the OP that I see, which only says: “can someone help me with some information?” and nothing else.

In any case, helloman, from what I’ve seen aboard factory ships and processing plants ashore, those jobs are mind numbingly brutal. Keep up your research and make sure you know what kind of frozen hell you may be getting into. If your goal is to be a deck hand, there are jobs that don’t require you to first serve an apprenticeship under third world conditions. I wish you well.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;192675]That’s not the OP that I see, which only says: “can someone help me with some information?” and nothing else.

In any case, helloman, from what I’ve seen aboard factory ships and processing plants ashore, those jobs are mind numbingly brutal. Keep up your research and make sure you know what kind of frozen hell you may be getting into. If your goal is to be a deck hand, there are jobs that don’t require you to first serve an apprenticeship under third world conditions. I wish you luck.[/QUOTE]

He started two threads first one on 11/11/16 and then this one on 11/16/16.

Here is one of the US Seafoods company videos.

//youtu.be/FefwNyZkMy4

A bit more about Pollock fisheries and Factory trawlers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3FZ-yY6xGk

The vessel is F/V Highland Light: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1271350

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;192670]Could be this job?

help ?[/QUOTE]

you are correct i messed up i got pissed off that i wrote all that and didnt see it on the forums im new at writing in this forum so i didnt know how to do it and then i just now i got a notification about this thread having a response but i see how rude these people talking about " hand held" like what are they talking about ? im not asking no one to hold my hand just asking how does it work i just wanted to read some personal experiences not just based off on a video

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;192675]That’s not the OP that I see, which only says: “can someone help me with some information?” and nothing else.

In any case, helloman, from what I’ve seen aboard factory ships and processing plants ashore, those jobs are mind numbingly brutal. Keep up your research and make sure you know what kind of frozen hell you may be getting into. If your goal is to be a deck hand, there are jobs that don’t require you to first serve an apprenticeship under third world conditions. I wish you well.[/QUOTE]

its because i didnt realize that someone have to approve the response before posting something so i didnt see my post and i didnt feel like typing it all over again.
i did my research on it but even sometimes when u do it its way different in person just my opinion

[QUOTE=helloman;192696]its because i didnt realize that someone have to approve the response before posting something so i didnt see my post and i didnt feel like typing it all over again.
i did my research on it but even sometimes when u do it its way different in person just my opinion[/QUOTE]

so if you someday want to be working on deck then you have to take the at sea job and hump your ass so the factory manager and deck boss see you are worthy of the promotion however the pay will be abysmally low for how hard, long, wet and cold the work is. That is the sad reality of the Alaskan fisheries…Joe Boss makes bank but those at the bottom don’t end up with much left to put into the bank however if you are determined to go, then go with open eyes, a closed mouth, a strong back and a readiness to work harder than you have ever worked before. Worst case, if you hate it and want no more the at sea job is over in half the time as the shore one.

I spent about 4 years on a factory trawler working out of Dutch. The company seems to always be hiring. They just wrapped up their season until mid January. You likely won’t get on for “A” season. Around March lots of people get off and they bring out new guys. You can expect to make 1500-2500 a trip starting out which is usually 7 days from pier to offload. Longest trip was 12 days. Shitty fishing. If you break balls and keep your head down, don’t talk back, and suck it up, learn all the factory positions, you can earn raises and max out around 3500 a trip. That’s for yellowfin sole and other ground fish. If your catching good fish you can make 4500. That’s for a factory worker( processor). It’s a 16 hour day, 15 minute break every 4 hrs with a 30 min lunch. No days off. It’s hard work. I’ve seen people quit on the steam out before stepping foot in the factory. There is no compassion. Nobody cares that you are new and don’t know what your doing. It’s physical work but it comes down to the mental part after the first few trips once your body adjusts to the pain. If your serious send me a message and I can tell you how to get started. I certainly won’t be a reference as I’ve been burned by people in the past who work 3 hrs and quit. Cheers.

[QUOTE=BlueH20;192710]I spent about 4 years on a factory trawler working out of Dutch. The company seems to always be hiring. They just wrapped up their season until mid January. You likely won’t get on for “A” season. Around March lots of people get off and they bring out new guys. You can expect to make 1500-2500 a trip starting out which is usually 7 days from pier to offload. Longest trip was 12 days. Shitty fishing. If you break balls and keep your head down, don’t talk back, and suck it up, learn all the factory positions, you can earn raises and max out around 3500 a trip. That’s for yellowfin sole and other ground fish. If your catching good fish you can make 4500. That’s for a factory worker( processor). It’s a 16 hour day, 15 minute break every 4 hrs with a 30 min lunch. No days off. It’s hard work. I’ve seen people quit on the steam out before stepping foot in the factory. There is no compassion. Nobody cares that you are new and don’t know what your doing. It’s physical work but it comes down to the mental part after the first few trips once your body adjusts to the pain. If your serious send me a message and I can tell you how to get started. I certainly won’t be a reference as I’ve been burned by people in the past who work 3 hrs and quit. Cheers.[/QUOTE]

good post! our friend better have enough money in the bank to buy his own ticket home from Dutch if he bails since if the company buys it and he hasn’t earned enough to pay them back he’ll be paying for that very expensive flight for a very long time!