How to get a job with AMO

Hawsepiper,

Call the C-MAR office (www.c-mar.com) in Lafayette at (337) 406-2864 and email your resume. For last few months C-Mar has been manning all engine room positions from 3AE to CHENG on my vessel. 2AE is getting dayrates between $500 and $600 a day for 28 day On/Off schedule.
I realize this is off the thread topic, but I hope this tip works out for you.

By the way if you choose a career with the AMO, you will be much happier when you wear these:
[ATTACH]1193[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=brjones;45427]I was in the MEBA Oakland hall today and there were 7 day jobs and only 3 people there to try and fill them. No shipping jobs on the board, but the 3 guys doubled up and will make about $700 for a days work.Not a bad gig while waiting to ship out[/QUOTE]

The hall isn’t in the City any more? Man, I used to like to get lunch next door at the Chain Locker in the SUP hall. Good memories.

[QUOTE=cmakin;45469]The hall isn’t in the City any more? Man, I used to like to get lunch next door at the Chain Locker in the SUP hall. Good memories.[/QUOTE]

No. We have been in Oakland a few years now. When we sold the SF building, we actually shared the SUP hall for about a year before moving over to Oakland. I used to like to walk down to EL Faro burrito and get a burrito the size of a football.

Gotcha. I am going back 30 years though. The old SUP hall was next door. In the basement of their hall was Rusty’s Chain Locker. Neat little joint. Old school cocktail bar with cheap hot dogs. There was a print shop nearby and some of those folks could come down, too. Beautiful mural behind the bar of the City at night/dusk from the perspective of an ship in the Bay.

Mr. Steaming pile of you know what,

I have been an AMO member for twenty something years. Your hatred of AMO comes through loud and clear. This hatred has skewed your view on what read and hear. Your posts are beating a dead horse. Hang it up.

[QUOTE=awulfclark;45346]The idea of not being told the pay before committing is a very common phenomenon in AMO. Stories abound of folks being offered jobs; said folks would ask the pay and be told some version of “you’ll find out when you get there”, “do you want this job or not?”, or up to and including “if you don’t take this job you’ll be sitting on the beach for a year”. I personally know one gentleman who was put in touch with a certain company…let’s call them “Sealift Inc.”…the hiring manager told him the pay was x dollars per day. He got to the ship (in Singapore) and found out the pay was really ½x. Obviously, being flown out to Singapore, he wasn’t in a position to refuse the job and thus have to pay HIS flight back AND his relief’s flight out. And don’t even think of asking for a copy of any contract.

I understand the point about one man’s low pay being another man’s adequate pay. But in my mind there’s a larger picture: the idea that a union is supposed to be on the membership’s side and NOT the company’s side. AMO has had a long history of accepting terrible contracts and then forcing unwilling members to work those contracts. As long as companies know they can get labor for a certain rate, why voluntarily raise those rates? Also remember that, in a union such as AMO, where there are multiple employers, low contracts tend to have a downward pressure on other contracts.

As far as dispatching goes…someone else who regularly ships “off the board” could probably answer this better, but…there’s supposed to be an order, based on registration time and membership status (members ship before applicants). I understand they don’t always hold to this, however. It’s also true that there’s a shipping board on the AMO website–but that site appears to be virtually useless. It’s mostly relief ROS jobs. If you want to get out, the best way is probably to call the dispatcher…maybe not daily, but definitely regularly. They’re more likely to call you back with a job if they remember your name.

To summarize the last three paragraphs: nothing’s changed in AMO.

By the way, anyone else notice AMO threads on this website have fallen strangely silent since the election? I also understand gCaptain is inaccessible at the STAR Center. Transparent as a steel bulkhead![/QUOTE]

Mr. Awfulmisinformed,

My job with AMO on an average contract pays me about 130K/year for 6 months work as Chief Mate. I don’t know how that compares with what you would consider to be adequate. I do have a friend who works out of the hall with another mates’ union. He has the same license as I do. He does well to work 3-4 months a year. Yes, he makes a little bit more per month than I do but by the end of the year, I have made a good bit of change more than he makes. So tell me, what is your idea of adequate? How well do those jobs with Central Gulf pay?

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;46812]Mr. Steaming pile of you know what,

I have been an AMO member for twenty something years. Your hatred of AMO comes through loud and clear. This hatred has skewed your view on what read and hear. Your posts are beating a dead horse. Hang it up.[/QUOTE]

Hey man…glad you’re out! I didn’t think you’d get parolled so quickly after butchering all those kids?

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;46816]Mr. Awfulmisinformed,

My job with AMO on an average contract pays me about 130K/year for 6 months work as Chief Mate. I don’t know how that compares with what you would consider to be adequate. I do have a friend who works out of the hall with another mates’ union. He has the same license as I do. He does well to work 3-4 months a year. Yes, he makes a little bit more per month than I do but by the end of the year, I have made a good bit of change more than he makes. So tell me, what is your idea of adequate? How well do those jobs with Central Gulf pay?[/QUOTE]

Drillship masters are now about $200k+ and chief mates are $160k+ and both are 28/28 without the AMO thugs to take their cut of flesh…so beat that Mr. RespectmyAss!

Mr. authority: it’s been awhile so I had to reread my post. I think you missed my point, as well as possibly mixed in stuff other people said. Sure, there are contracts in AMO that are “adequate” but there are an awful lot of contracts that aren’t. My point was that as UNION members we should be concerned about the welfare of ALL members. Plus don’t forget that no matter how good you have it right now our “union” can pull the rug out at any time–this happened in the mid-80s, remember. And just like then the members will be powerless to stop it.

And just for the record, I’m one of the lucky ones on a good contract.

I wouldnt mind taking a less “adequate” job within the union to gain union time and experience, i think it will benefit you in the long run.

[QUOTE=Tugboattim;46829]I wouldnt mind taking a less “adequate” job within the union to gain union time and experience, i think it will benefit you in the long run.[/QUOTE]

They are counting on to do just that.

[QUOTE=Steamer;46831]They are counting on to do just that.[/QUOTE]

and how brother…and how!

[QUOTE=c.captain;46819]Drillship masters are now about $200k+ and chief mates are $160k+ and both are 28/28 without the AMO thugs to take their cut of flesh…so beat that Mr. RespectmyAss![/QUOTE]

Yes,
They make more. They also have no time to for themselves. Transocean or whichever company makes you take all these classes that aren’t even needed. Education is fine when it has some value but if it doesn’t then it is a waste of time. It is rare that their time off is their own. See I happen to work with a bunch of people who left that side of the business because the grass is greener over here. Most of us have plenty of DP experience anf could go back there if we so desired. I recently had a class with some guys from the drillships. It made me appreciate how easy I have things.

[QUOTE=awulfclark;46822]Mr. authority: it’s been awhile so I had to reread my post. I think you missed my point, as well as possibly mixed in stuff other people said. Sure, there are contracts in AMO that are “adequate” but there are an awful lot of contracts that aren’t. My point was that as UNION members we should be concerned about the welfare of ALL members. Plus don’t forget that no matter how good you have it right now our “union” can pull the rug out at any time–this happened in the mid-80s, remember. And just like then the members will be powerless to stop it.

And just for the record, I’m one of the lucky ones on a good contract.[/QUOTE]

As I have said before, I have been in AMO for some time. In the past there was a wide difference in contracts. I have worked with the higher paying companies like Tote. I have also worked with the lower paying companies like Sealift. Hell, I even worked for the lowest of the low on my first ship with AMO, Iinternational Marine Carriers (we called them Ignorant, Mean & Cheap).
I have seen over the last sevral years that the contracts have settled toward the middle. The high paying ones no longer pay as well and the lowering paying ones have come up.

Sure the rug can get pulled out at any time. It can happen to any one. It doesn’t matter if you are union or non-union, AMO, MMP, MEBA, SIU etc… Most of all our jobs depend on the support of the Jones Act. Either directly or indirectly. We lose that and the vast majority of us are in the unemployment line.

Going back to the OP. You can ship through dispatch or go direct hire. I’ve been sailing 3rd AE with AMO for the past almost 2.5 years and about to upgrade to 2nd. The dispatchers have always been upfront with me letting me know what I needed and who to talk to in regards to sailing. I’ve been working tankers pretty much the whole time. I started off out of school going on foreign runs hauling grain on tankers. I am now coast wise for a pretty good company and really enjoy the people I work with and how I’m treated. The pay raise was also nice. Like any union, there are good and bad contracts. I know that most of the tanker companies are almost always looking for 3rds and 2nds. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Sorry to revive a dead thread.

I am not sure how to get a job with AMO. I have called the dispatchers countless times asking if there is anything for 3/m. I sent in my AMO application years ago and asked the dispatcher recently and it is stilt valid/active. Is there ever anything for 3/m on the board? Am I wasting my time calling?

I am licensed master mariner and applicant with AMO since November 2016. I’ve heard from them twice in all that time. The dispatch never answers my phone calls or returns messages. I’ve given up on them and joined the SIU. At least they do have work and every time I go to their hall, I’ve been able to ship out within a day or 2, even as a C book.
It SUCKs to have to sail as AB when I’ve worked so hard to earn that masters ticket, but I have to do whatever I can to keep earning the sea time I’ll need to renew.
Good luck with the AMO. I wouldn’t count on getting any work with them until the entire industry improves enough to where there is more work out there.

Call the companies direct.

I worked out of Oakland with M.E.B.A. and some weeks made $1500 in night work and stayed at a decent hotel at “MEBA” rate of $350/ week and could walk to Matson and $15 cab to Maersk and APL. Sometimes you have to invest your own money to make money. That is why the IRS allows you to write off many expenses while looking for work, union dues, etc

retired from nmu-siu in 2012 after 40 years pumpman seems alot of grit has been lost