How long are license upgrades taking to go through the NMC these days?

Has anybody upgraded their license within the past six months or so? Trying to get a feel for how long it’s going to take me to upgrade my Third Mate AGT to Second Mates.

I heard 30-60 days from somebody but that was a while back.

For that kind of an upgrade (3/M->2/M), assuming you have all your ducks in a row, I can’t see it taking much longer than that at most. If you were dealing with assessments and/or classes that needed to be checked, that’d be a different story. Seems like most of the gap closing delays are easing up now and I’m not hearing nearly as much griping about it taking forever now.

1 Like

co-worker of mine just renewed. In addition to his renewal he upgraded to AB-unlimited. From day of submission to printing it took almost four months.

However, he had some issues with his application. If he would have taken my advice on resolving some things before hand he probably could have shaved a month off of that.

1 Like

yeah, but this is just a seatime raise in grade, not an actual upgrade. @Johnsmith, you don’t have a 1600 Master exam request tacked on there too do you? That may slow it down a bit from that 30-60 days you heard.

ab limited to unlimited was just a sea time upgrade as well…
but yeah, having a renewal along with it probably slowed it down/complicated things.

July 3, submit renewal, and “seatime upgrade” application to Baltimore. Aug 23 credential mailed.
Everything was in order, no requests for additional information.

1 Like

I’m getting my renewal going this week and keeping it to one transaction. I am starting late (took awhile to get that last school) but there should be no snags on my end. I have all my documents and school certs. I’ll post dates of submission and receipt.

Friend of mine just upgraded and from the time he submitted his app to the Toledo REC to issued was 2 weeks. He should have it in the mail in the next couple of days. Unbelievably fast!

The NMC cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. I’ve learned the hard way not to confuse them by putting multiple requests on the same application.

I just submitted for my 6,000 OSV and got it back in about 4 or 5 weeks. No issues