How are the SUNY Maritime summer cruises?

Any grads or current students who can attest to what they’re like? After doing some brief research, I’ve heard that there’s ~500 students on board for each trip. Is that true? What is the living/sleeping situation like? How may people per room, etc?

As a male deckie, on your 3rd class and 2nd class cruises(assuming you don’t cadet ship) you live in a converted cargo hold with 150 other people. You have minimal personal space or privacy. Your days are very regimented and planned out for you. As a 1st class, you could potentially move to an 8 man room, though that is not a guarantee. I would not be very concerned about personal space because you will probably be too tired to do anything but sleep. The experience is worth it, but you may not realize it until you are done and graduated. This is of course with the current ship, the new ship is planned to come out for SST 2022.

Why is it so tiring? And do I go on a different cruise than freshman since I’ll be a graduate student?

In terms of seamanship training, even as a grad student, you are considered a “freshman” if that makes any sense. You will be in professional development and navigation classes on campus with kids under twenty as well.

On my first cruise, I had a desert storm vet living next to me. Great guy

Don’t think of it in terms of a “cruise”. You’re there to learn, not to vacation. If you consider that, then it should make sense why you’ll be tired.
And as Yankee said, in terms of the regiment, on the ship you’ll be the same as a freshman. Thousands of people have done it before you, it’s not that bad.
Your best best is to arrange a visit the school and get a tour of the ship. I would do that sooner rather than later because they’re going to restrict access once they start to prepare for Summer Sea Term.

Hope you like running a needle gun!

Needle gun isn’t that bad. And you probably don’t have to do that more than a couple times during SST. Worse jobs are to be had: scullery and the macerator.

And that… is why TMA was great back when we had Prep cadets (…among other reasons). Never had to touch the scullery back then. Thanks for ruining that SUNY. :expressionless:

I thought it was Mass that let the cat out of the bag that y’all had been taking non STCW basic safety trained high school kids out to sea as passengers / employees / cadets since the mid seventies. :yum:

Oh, you may be right about that now that I think about it. Certainly took away a lot of the “fun” of sailing on the Clipper though regardless.

You don’t get any special privileges as a grad student and are subjected to all the goofy MUG stuff. You’ll sleep in a 156 man berthing space with 18 year olds, have 20 year old kids threaten to write you up if you go early to lunch/dinner or do your laundry at a time you aren’t allowed to. It can be a head scratching experience especially after a year of being a day student.

If you have a good group of grad friends it can be fun in port, but don’t expect to learn anything of serious value, most of the actual hands on stuff is done by the 1/C cadets.

Should be pretty epic soon enough with that brand new ship they will be getting! :+1:t2:

I learned something of value from each of my three cruises, even as a grad student. Learning how to use different tools, managing people and sucking up doing the worst jobs on that bucket made transitioning to the fleet after graduation much less shocking than I had imagined. As far as the upperclass writing people up… never as big an issue as people made it out to be unless you were a complete dolt who couldn’t follow the herd to the day’s activities or someone who couldn’t comprehend a watch schedule.

In fact, in my three years there a few (not all) of the worst people I ever came across were the grad students. They refused to refer to themselves as any class until they were First Class and quite often talked down to their fellow classmates. They failed to realize (and SUNY failed to inform them) that day students merely have first class privileges, not the authority.