HOS in a good position

Lol tell us how you really feel.

Hell yea!

'MERICA!!!

[QUOTE=ombugge;184300]If you had a US flag vessel with all US crew legally signed on and holding the mandatory STCW CoCs issued by US Authorities, meeting all statutory, regulatory and ISM requirement, why not??
As long as your vessel’s specs and equipment met the charterer’s requirement you would be free to bid on any job in Norwegian and EU waters. If you are the lowest bidder, or have capabilities superior to that of your competitors, there is no reason why your vessel couldn’t work here. Or do you KNOW (not guess) otherwise? If so, enlighten me and others.

I don’t know if there are any US FLAGGED Offshore vessels or rigs working in Europe at the moment, but there are a US owned ones flagged in Marshall Islands and Vanuatu and other US based registers. There are also some US citizens working on those vessels and rigs, with US Oilcos and Service companies, but only on their merits, not based on their nationality.

Tidewater even have Norwegian (NOR) flagged vessels, working in the north of Norway / Barents Sea: http://www.tromsoffshore.no/
Yes, they are operated from Tromso and manned by Norwegians. They also have vessels flying NIS or Isle of Man flag, working internationally. Those would still have some Norwegians on board, not only “underpaid slave labourers”, as you like to believe all non-US Mariners are.

There are no restrictions on nationality of crew (incl. Master) for NIS flagged vessel. If you can compete on merits and skills, and have the required CoC, you are welcome to try for a job on Norwegian NIS or foreign flagged vessels working anywhere in the world, incl. GOM.

If your aim is ONLY to be able to work in home waters and only on US flag vessel, you are heading in the right direction. This can ONLY be by protective rules. Alternatively, by building up a modern fleet yourself, which requires a change of mindset.

If you have any notion to operate worldwide at competitive terms, you are doing yourself no favour by the present mindset. You can keep up the mantra that the ONLY reason there are very few US flag vessels in foreign trade, or offshore boats and rigs working internationally, is the “unfair” competition from low cost country. If so, you are delusional.

US is not a “High cost country” today and the working conditions for US Seafarers are not superior compared to many others, like most countries in Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc. In fact it is the opposite.
That was in the past, when your competitors were bombed flat in WWII and the US reigned supreme on the world stage.

Sorry if I don’t follow you with nasty words about body parts and functions etc. I leave that to US politicians, who seams to prefer that (and toilet rules), to solving the problems for the US Maritime Industries and US Mariners.[/QUOTE]

Every PSV and AHV that operates in Norwegian waters is pretty much fully manned by Norwegian crew. Although it appears that they have an “open” employment policy, they use the “loophole” that crew must speak Norwegian, and not many people bar Norwegians speak it. Every dollar-per-day Imp and their Aunt in the third world speaks some form of broken English, hence you can’t seem able stop’em through language requirements.

Except even if trump is elected, God forbid, the do nothing congress and senate won’t do anything as usual, thus none of his wacky proposals would ever happen.

[QUOTE=z-drive;184342]Except even if trump is elected, God forbid, the do nothing congress and senate won’t do anything as usual, thus none of his wacky proposals would ever happen.[/QUOTE]

Unless he takes a lesson from Obama and uses executive actions, (illegally) bypassing Congress.

[QUOTE=seamanstan;184340]Every PSV and AHV that operates in Norwegian waters is pretty much fully manned by Norwegian crew. Although it appears that they have an “open” employment policy, they use the “loophole” that crew must speak Norwegian, and not many people bar Norwegians speak it. Every dollar-per-day Imp and their Aunt in the third world speaks some form of broken English, hence you can’t seem able stop’em through language requirements.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know where you get your information from. I have never heard that Norwegian is required to work on an American vessel in Norwegian waters. That would be ridiculous. (That was the subject here)

As far as working on Norwegian vessels in Norwegian waters there are some language requirements, especially on ferries etc. carrying passengers on the fjords, or along the coast. For international shipping the requrement is; “good command of English” whether you are foreign or Norwegian national. The Norwegian sector of the North Sea is regarded as “International” in this respect.

Think I’m kidding you? You’ll find the requirements here: https://www.nav.no/en/Home/Work...in+Norway/.../307473?_…
This is the official authority for employment in Norway.

NMD has the ultimate say so when it comes to Maritime Affairs: https://www.sjofartsdir.no/en/
I searched for language requirements, but got Zero hits. You may search and have better luck.

English is mandatory for all officers, regardless of where in the world their ship is trading. Many Norwegian Shipping and Offshore companies use English as their working language. All written communication has to be so.

It a SOLAS required that crew members are able to understand one common language, which is usually either Norwegian or English on most Norwegian ships. If all crew members on a ship is f.eks. Polish, I resume Polish would be acceptable as common language, as long as the Master and Officers know English for communication with other parties.

Sorry to bring up facts again.

[QUOTE=ombugge;184351]NMD has the ultimate say so when it comes to Maritime Affairs: https://www.sjofartsdir.no/en/
I searched for language requirements, but got Zero hits. You may search and have better luck.[/QUOTE]

No one claimed the government or any agency required one to speak Norwegian. All the jobs I have seen advertised for that area though require one to speak Norwegian.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;184352]No one claimed the government or any agency required one to speak Norwegian. All the jobs I have seen advertised for that area though require one to speak Norwegian.[/QUOTE]

Yes, mr ombugge doesn’t get the point.

The point we often make about foreign vessels working here on a waiver…they have to attempt to hire americans, but make ridiculous requirements far beyond statutory (international and domestic) and when they don’t quite like the american applicants or they don’t meet the foolish requirements, they get away with their waiver on account of TRYING and failing to hire americans to fill those billets.

The idea is the legal requirements maybe published and fair, however the unwritten one’s in operations departments may be far more strict to the point of being unfair.

Interesting but we’re on a whole new thread topic.
Back to OP, any flicker of light at the end of this downturn tunnel? Has the suitcase parade at HOS slowed down?

https://flic.kr/p/H3DUWU

A slow and orderly debarking for some individuals who have sought more monified situlations.

I know for a fact pretty much every PSV and AHV in the Norwegian sector is pretty much fully manned by Norwegians. The only vessels that don’t are DSVs and construction boats who have Filipino ABs. Something must be stopping the owners from being able to fully man PSVs and AHVs with eastern europeans like so many of the operators in the UK sector do. I don’t know what exactly what requirement is stopping them, but something is.

[QUOTE=seamanstan;184356]I know for a fact pretty much every PSV and AHV in the Norwegian sector is pretty much fully manned by Norwegians. The only vessels that don’t are DSVs and construction boats who have Filipino ABs. Something must be stopping the owners from being able to fully man PSVs and AHVs with eastern europeans like so many of the operators in the UK sector do. I don’t know what exactly what requirement is stopping them, but something is.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much all PSVs & AHTs working in the GOM are manned by Americans, aren’t they?

The reason why the PSVs and AHTs working on the Norwegian OCS are manned mainly by Norwegians is that most are NOR flag boats. NIS flagged boats are not allowed to work there. (May be changed soon)

A lot of the OCVs, DSVs etc. working there are under IOM, Gibraltar, Malta, or other EU registers and do not meet the same restrictions.

Even so, if those boats are Norwegian owned, many of the top Officers are Norwegians. Why??
Maybe because the Owners thrust their own kind more then they do other nationalities. It is a question of competence and proven track record with the companies, not just money, as some seams to believe here.

Is there a culture gap, not only between Norwegians and Americans, but also with the Brits?

[QUOTE=z-drive;184353]Yes, mr ombugge doesn’t get the point.

The point we often make about foreign vessels working here on a waiver…they have to attempt to hire americans, but make ridiculous requirements far beyond statutory (international and domestic) and when they don’t quite like the american applicants or they don’t meet the foolish requirements, they get away with their waiver on account of TRYING and failing to hire americans to fill those billets.

The idea is the legal requirements maybe published and fair, however the unwritten one’s in operations departments may be far more strict to the point of being unfair.[/QUOTE]

Could you be specific? What are those ridiculous or foolish requirements they are specifying?
As said earlier, if they could hire locally at lower cost for equally qualified and experienced Mariners, why would they not do so?

Day rated pay, 28/14 schedule, negligible travel expenses and very little other costs, sounds like a good deal compared to the cost of having European crew on permanent employment and even time, fully paid whether on or off when working in the GOM. Maybe somebody can explain it without mixing in “Bengali workers on a $/day”??

this has been hashed out here many times before you came along. For example they’ll mandate ten years experience with a combination of one particular brand of crane, tunnel thruster and variable frequency drive…oh nobody has that exact combination on their resume so they consider them unqualified.

Why? Because they don’t want to, and get away with it.

[QUOTE=ombugge;184365]Could you be specific? What are those ridiculous or foolish requirements they are specifying?
As said earlier, if they could hire locally at lower cost for equally qualified and experienced Mariners, why would they not do so?

Day rated pay, 28/14 schedule, negligible travel expenses and very little other costs, sounds like a good deal compared to the cost of having European crew on permanent employment and even time, fully paid whether on or off when working in the GOM. Maybe somebody can explain it without mixing in “Bengali workers on a $/day”??[/QUOTE]

We don’t know why they do it, we’re not psychic. What we do know is that they advertise for crew with requirements that no American can meet, or they simply don’t respond to our applications. Then they apply for and get waivers because they “can’t find anyone” when hundreds of qualified Americans applied.

Why should I have to speak Norwegian to work in the GoM ?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;184368]We don’t know why they do it, we’re not psychic.[/QUOTE]

I’m reasonably sure that you have some idea.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;184373]Why should I have to speak Norwegian to work in the GoM ?[/QUOTE]

It must be so you can understand those non-English speaking low-educated Norwegians that operate those inferior designed and equipped boats, cheaply built by slave labour in Eastern Europe and fitted out by cheap imported labourers in Ulsteinvik.

You can wonder why those greedy, money grabbing Oilco bosses would entrust their multi-billion $$$ GOM project to such boats and people, when they could get state-of-the-art American built and equipped boats, manned by top qualified American Mariners by paying a bit more. Don’t they know that quality and safety cost?

Ooops, now I managed to insult everybody, incl. the Norwegians working in the GOM.

PS> I’m TRYING to be sarcastic, OK?

[QUOTE=ombugge;184377]PS> I’m TRYING to be sarcastic, OK?[/QUOTE]

You are Norwegian sarcastic not American sarcastic, and that is the worst crime you can commit on this forum. Because everyone knows that foreigners are not funny.

[QUOTE=ombugge;184377]
Ooops, now I managed to insult everybody, incl. the Norwegians working in the GOM.

PS> I’m TRYING to be sarcastic, OK?[/QUOTE]

Uff da!!!

It’s about time you started seeing things our way.

spise en pikk