HOS in a good position

well for one they would not be required to clear customs everytime they enter port but they would still not be legally able to lift any subsea or other equipment off a dock and take it offshore to install

There are many top end vessels around that could be available for sale, either outright, or in a “special arrangement” deal.

one would certainly believe the US GoM is a big enough market to remain attractive to the owners of these OCV/IMR vessels to keep them working in our waters. Replacing foreign crews with locals is not uncommon around the world when vessels come into the waters of a certain country to work…so why not also in the USA?

There MAY be Owners willing to join up with a US Citizen to form a “nominally” US company to own and operate their vessels in US waters. Any interested forum members??

You can pass on to any interested Norwegian owners that Vessel Resources Company stands ready to man and operate any foreign vessel in the GoM with a 100% American mariner crew as well as to provide technical management services. You can also tell them that VRC is not part of the Bayou Mafia so these owners would not be dealing with the Louisiana mindset when it comes to how their vessels are operated in the GoM.

QUOTE=Louie_Louie;177906]Does anyone know how many were laid off / fired? That sure saved them a lot of money at the expense of a lot of good mariners…
Also, when it picks back up, and it will pick back up, how many of those that were laid off will go back to Hornbeck?[/QUOTE]

" Does anyone know how many were laid off / fired? That sure saved them a lot of money at the expense of a lot of good mariners…“
Are you really just NOW having that thought ? Do you really think HOS is the ONLY oil service company that does that ?
” Also, when it picks back up, and it will pick back up, how many of those that were laid off will go back to Hornbeck ?"
Again only now ?? HOS will get mariners the same as the rest of the companies do " MONEY " high day rates. Question is how high will the rates have to go ? 700/day that was the amount BEFORE this latest turn of lay off / fire. What will the rate be in 2017 ? Will it be 1,000/day ??
To the rest of the gcaptain forum what would your price be considering with the coonass industry unless you are coonass your probably looking at 6 months -3yrs of employment then layoff or fired and when they lay off or fire they give no warning either. They just drive up to the boat and tell the crew pack up and get in the truck your laid off, find a job when 100 mariners with the same credentials you have are also looking for a job ie the market just got flooded good luck finding your next job …Yeah there will be a 10% non-coonass that say their oil job was 10-20yrs Want to roll the dice on your financial well being That is of course if you get through the pre-employment physical conducted by a coonass physical Nazi i mean cough cough doctor…Then along comes how you are treated on the job. Licensed engineer does not matter to the coon ass boat company. Your just a operator of a paint brush or rag. Never mind the education and training and the exams you have to pass to earn the engineer license. To the boat company your just an operator of a rag / paint brush. Does not matter what license level you have either you can hold a chief engineer license that still equals rag operator. You can have skills too lathe,weld,caterpillar diesel certs…to the boat company if your a crewmember you operate da rag.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;184209] In the end it is not all about the daily money. It is about safety record, performance, professional reputation and relationships between companies. When choosing a contractor oil .[/QUOTE]
Your funny ! Think those numbers are accurate ?

[QUOTE=pwrmariner;184265]Your funny ! Think those numbers are accurate ?[/QUOTE]

Any reason to believe they are not? If you have the knowledge, why not shear it here??

“Now that most of the riff raff has departed the area it won’t be so easy getting back in.”

You mean all those boats laying in Bayou Blue and other places around the Gulf Coast??

Here is one of the “fu*ing foreigners” that was been working in the GOM earlier, MPSVs Havila Harmony. (Now in the Indian Ocean looking for the wreck and “black boxes” from MH 370, which has been going on for over 2 years now):

It is hardship to be living on these cheap foreign boats, especially if you are used to the Hilton standard on the GOM boats.
They even have to have a Prayer Room for Muslim, in case Client personnel and 3rd Party Contractors should require it:

Noticed the magnetic compass on the table? It is not enough to have an arrow in the ceailing pointing to Mecca when you are on a moving ship. (Some of you may have seen those in hotel room in some parts of the world.

The Mess Room have to be able to serve food to cater for people with different food cultures, incl. Halal, if required:

Sorry, none of those long fixed benches and condiment rack along the centre of the tables.

No shortage of Screens and comfortable chairs at the aft controls should make you feel at home:

The Sky Lounge above the Bridge also serves as Helicopter waiting and briefing room:

Would be bad to spend long time here, but than again it could be worse than to spend some time on Stressless Recliners if the chopper gets delayed.

This is one of the older vessels in the Havila fleet, originally built in 2005 as PSV and fitted AHC Crane, Moon Pool etc. in 2007 to become MPSVs. Specs: http://www.fugrotsm.com/havila-harmony.html

She was working in GOM for some years, but has been ‘relegated’ to S.E.Asia / Australia for some time now. (I believe she assisted in the DW Horizon debacle)

Some of you may not want to know anything about what them Furin boat look like inside, in which case you should have scrolled on earlier.

[QUOTE=c.captain;184227]You can pass on to any interested Norwegian owners that Vessel Resources Company stands ready to man and operate any foreign vessel in the GoM with a 100% American mariner crew as well as to provide technical management services. You can also tell them that VRC is not part of the Bayou Mafia so these owners would not be dealing with the Louisiana mindset when it comes to how their vessels are operated in the GoM.[/QUOTE]

I’ll bear that in mind as I’m making my rounds.

Who gives a flying fuck!

Let’s say I built a Ulstien designed vessel to the exact same specs, same equipment, layout etc. in a US yard. Then I crewed the boat with Americans and showed up in Norwegian waters for work. Do you honestly believe that vessel would get chartered or make any money up there? Hell no it wouldn’t and the majority of those furin vessels should not get any work down here when there are capable Jones Act vessels already in market.

You can troll me all you want and I’ll say it again I don’t fucking care what the inside of those boats look like. THEY SHOULD NOT BE HERE IN THIS MARKET TAKING WORK AMERICAN VESSELS ARE CAPABLE OF DOING. You can eat a dick…eat a bag of dicks…EAT… ALL…OF…THE…DICKS…

you’re a great seaman and overall tremendous American. Thank you for setting the record straight. As always I’d be thrilled to sail with you any day, anywhere.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;184277]Who gives a flying fuck!

Let’s say I built a Ulstien designed vessel to the exact same specs, same equipment, layout etc. in a US yard. Then I crewed the boat with Americans and showed up in Norwegian waters for work. Do you honestly believe that vessel would get chartered or make any money up there? Hell no it wouldn’t and the majority of those furin vessels should not get any work down here when there are capable Jones Act vessels already in market.

You can troll me all you want and I’ll say it again I don’t fucking care what the inside of those boats look like. THEY SHOULD NOT BE HERE IN THIS MARKET TAKING WORK AMERICAN VESSELS ARE CAPABLE OF DOING. You can eat a dick…eat a bag of dicks…EAT… ALL…OF…THE…DICKS…[/QUOTE]

If you had a US flag vessel with all US crew legally signed on and holding the mandatory STCW CoCs issued by US Authorities, meeting all statutory, regulatory and ISM requirement, why not??
As long as your vessel’s specs and equipment met the charterer’s requirement you would be free to bid on any job in Norwegian and EU waters. If you are the lowest bidder, or have capabilities superior to that of your competitors, there is no reason why your vessel couldn’t work here. Or do you KNOW (not guess) otherwise? If so, enlighten me and others.

I don’t know if there are any US FLAGGED Offshore vessels or rigs working in Europe at the moment, but there are a US owned ones flagged in Marshall Islands and Vanuatu and other US based registers. There are also some US citizens working on those vessels and rigs, with US Oilcos and Service companies, but only on their merits, not based on their nationality.

Tidewater even have Norwegian (NOR) flagged vessels, working in the north of Norway / Barents Sea: http://www.tromsoffshore.no/
Yes, they are operated from Tromso and manned by Norwegians. They also have vessels flying NIS or Isle of Man flag, working internationally. Those would still have some Norwegians on board, not only “underpaid slave labourers”, as you like to believe all non-US Mariners are.

There are no restrictions on nationality of crew (incl. Master) for NIS flagged vessel. If you can compete on merits and skills, and have the required CoC, you are welcome to try for a job on Norwegian NIS or foreign flagged vessels working anywhere in the world, incl. GOM.

If your aim is ONLY to be able to work in home waters and only on US flag vessel, you are heading in the right direction. This can ONLY be by protective rules. Alternatively, by building up a modern fleet yourself, which requires a change of mindset.

If you have any notion to operate worldwide at competitive terms, you are doing yourself no favour by the present mindset. You can keep up the mantra that the ONLY reason there are very few US flag vessels in foreign trade, or offshore boats and rigs working internationally, is the “unfair” competition from low cost country. If so, you are delusional.

US is not a “High cost country” today and the working conditions for US Seafarers are not superior compared to many others, like most countries in Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc. In fact it is the opposite.
That was in the past, when your competitors were bombed flat in WWII and the US reigned supreme on the world stage.

Sorry if I don’t follow you with nasty words about body parts and functions etc. I leave that to US politicians, who seams to prefer that (and toilet rules), to solving the problems for the US Maritime Industries and US Mariners.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;184305][/QUOTE]

The answer to everything?? GUNS. If that doesn’t work; NUKE THEM!!!

If you don’t know, what is the last thing you want to do? CHECK FACTS!!!

Honest question, why do you frequent these forums? You seem to look down your nose at anything and everything you find here. Add to that that you already know most everything there is to know. Is it your noblesse oblige to educate us?

https://flic.kr/p/H1AUhW

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;184308]Honest question, why do you frequent these forums? You seem to look down your nose at anything and everything you find here. Add to that that you already know most everything there is to know. Is it your noblesse oblige to educate us?[/QUOTE]

A lost cause on some, but any convert for the cause would be appreciated.

[QUOTE=ombugge;184313]A lost cause on some, but any convert for the cause would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

it used to be my job to irritate the masses here but you seem to have taken up the mantle with considerable aplomb…bravo and well done!

[QUOTE=ombugge;184313]A lost cause on some, but any convert for the cause would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Patience. Remember the USA is an island whose citizens have little exposure to the rest of the world and by choice insulate themselves from facts by getting their information from TV echo chambers, political websites etc. They also have a sense of entitlement which when threatened makes them want to blow stuff up which is much easier than educating oneself and helps defense contractors tremendously. That their industries do not wish to compete on the world stage with their own citizens is a fact. The funny thing is they have convinced the gullible under educated US citizens they must live like serfs for the good of “markets” and "competition. Slowly they will come to realize that it is not other countries, other citizens, other religions or other political parties holding them back but their own greedy multinational corporations, [including media] banks and the lackey’s that administer their policies, the politicians, that are reducing them to serfdom. No one ever leaves Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan or any other large multinational to run for political office for good reason. They already control the country. Be patient.

Yes be patient for about 6 more months. Trump will purposely fumble on the goal line and hand the election right to Billary. Then we will finish giving what little we have left away in all manner of international trade deals or welfare to illegal immigrants. Yes be patient indeed you’re witnessing the end game.

[QUOTE=c.captain;184316]it used to be my job to irritate the masses here but you seem to have taken up the mantle with considerable aplomb…bravo and well done![/QUOTE]

My pleasure. I know you have done it for year and enjoyed it, but I also know that you are busy with your new boat.
Somebody has to do the heavy lifting though.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;184328]Yes be patient for about 6 more months. Trump will purposely fumble on the goal line and hand the election right to Billary. Then we will finish giving what little we have left away in all manner of international trade deals or welfare to illegal immigrants. Yes be patient indeed you’re witnessing the end game.[/QUOTE]

It could be worse. He could WIN the election in November and do the things he has talked about in the campaign so far.

There are signs that he will back down on some issues that even he find too ridiculous, but there are enough left to scare the living dog sh*t out of the rest of the world.

There is one of his promises that he will keep though; building a wall at the southern border and have the Mexicans pay for it.

Why and how??

Why: To keep Americans from escaping his new “Great America”.
HOW: The Mexicans will gladly pay for it for sure. They don’t need more trouble with weapons and drugs than they already have.

He has learnt a lot from Germany in the last century, that is for sure.