HOS in a good position

HOS spent more money on their website; they try harder because they are in 2nd place I guess :wink:

[QUOTE=CaliforniaOso;185251]Is it routine for the Louisiana sailor to file for unemployment when the employer does not call after 30 days or more?[/QUOTE]

Any sailor should file unemployment immediately when the company doesn’t let then return to work on their assigned rotation. Why just Louisiana sailors? If an East coast tug sailor on a 21/21 schedule is still on the beach at 22 days with no word from the company he’s unemployed. If an OSV guy working 28/14 is told not to return after 14 days he’s unemployed.

Haha company hotel!! They shut that down the other day. No one can stay there anymore.

What the hell is really going on here?

NOAA is so shorthanded that they just awarded a contract to Keystone to provide engineers from the hall. So, now we get to work alongside other engineers who will make more money than we do. Not a bad deal (for them) if you ask me.

I thought all these Gulf hands needed work? Go join MEBA and you can work relief jobs here and make more than the employees do.

While HOS looks strong on paper, I don’t get a warm, fuzzy feeling about them making it through this. Their management is still horrendous, they’re cutting pay and benefits like people will gladly work for free, spending a good amount of money on new hires because there’s a mass exidous going on (see pay and benefits) and they don’t have many boats working. The old saying was “We’re not doing as bad as Harvey” but Harvey has several boats on long term contracts. I don’t know how much of a strain the little boats are putting on the company, but the big boats are working. How many HOSMAX boats are stacked at HOS? 9 or 10? That’s almost half of the new build program. I’m sure several people regret buying the ESPP stock at $60!

I went inside of that roach motel once just to see what it looked like. IMO the health dept. should have shut it down, but I guess palms were greased bayou style.

I have a friend there who won’t tell me much about what’s going on but I did get out him him that there had been multiple rounds of pay cuts, forced 2/1 schedule, minimum 401k matches, and higher benefit premiums. And he is on a govt contract boat.

There hasn’t been a 401k match since Jan 1, 2015.

If the Houma newspaper article linked in the Knocking on Doors In Louisiana thread is accurate, there are now only 20 rigs drilling in the Gulf. How many boats does it take to support 20 rigs?

Usually two mud boats per rig, if its way out throw in a crewboat.

Imagine if all of the east coast suddenly had only 20 barges to move. That’s counting all types of barge traffic like oil, containers, chemicals, rocks, garbage, etc. Just 20 total barges moving with all those tugs from Miami to Bangor.

Feast or famine…mostly famine…

I wish that so,eons would force me back to 2:1.

There may be only 20 rigs drilling but there are a lot of production rigs, spars and TLPs still working and using boats, might not be hauling drilling muds but there is still deck cargo going out,

[QUOTE=caldwell275;186809]There may be only 20 rigs drilling but there are a lot of production rigs, spars and TLPs still working and using boats, might not be hauling drilling muds but there is still deck cargo going out,[/QUOTE]

Ok. If only 40 boats are employed in drilling, how many more are actively employed in production?

Would it be fair to say that ECO, HOS, and Harvey each have more than 40 boats a piece? Then there are numerous other companies with recently built large boats like: Jackson, Aries, LaBorde, Bordelon, Tidewater, Gulfmark, Otto Candies, and so on. Do any of those companies have all their boats stacked? Most of those companies must have some of their fleet still working.

Does ECO, HOS, and Harvey have most of their fleets stacked?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;186810]Ok. If only 40 boats are employed in drilling, how many more are actively employed in production?

Would it be fair to say that ECO, HOS, and Harvey each have more than 40 boats a piece? Then there are numerous other companies with recently built large boats like: Jackson, Aries, LaBorde, Bordelon, Tidewater, Gulfmark, Otto Candies, and so on. Do any of those companies have all their boats stacked? Most of those companies must have some of their fleet still working.

Does ECO, HOS, and Harvey have most of their fleets stacked?[/QUOTE]

Are there nobody keeping records of working and stacked boats in the GoM?
Certainly Brokers are watching, but they may not publish their findings for all to see, like in the North Sea market.

[QUOTE=ombugge;186815]Are there nobody keeping records of working and stacked boats in the GoM?
Certainly Brokers are watching, but they may not publish their findings for all to see, like in the North Sea market.[/QUOTE]

You can get all of this info from IHS’ MarineBase product which tracks these types of boats. Doing a quick search you can pull all these numbers.

In the GoM, ECO has 96 boats with 50% of them currently stacked. Harvey has 50 boats, with 42% stacked and HOS has 52 with 66% stacked.

https://www.ihs.com/products/petrodata-marinebase.html

They also have another product, CVBase which tracks construction vessels.

Considering Chouest’s webpage says they operate more than 200 vessels, those numbers may be really old. I’m betting all those companies numbers are off from reality though.

You also are missing the multiple vessel owner/operator companies under the Chouest umbrella that are not “ECO.” HOS probably does the same thing too, but that number looks about right for what I saw in and out of Fourchon last time I was there for HGIM.

Those may not account for cold stacked boats though either, since the documents/COI get pulled, they cease to exist I guess.

Here is some of the fleet in question:

The big type. Pacific Silver:

3 x Triplex stoppers + 1 x Guide Pins:

Captain’s chair at aft controls:

But the view of deck from there leave something to be desired:

At Fwrd. conning position:

You can also do it from the wings:

Specs for Pacific Silver and her sisters: http://www.prm.sg/index.aspx?uc=products_proddetail&ID=14&Page=

[QUOTE=ombugge;187021]The big type.[/QUOTE]

Looks like at Loyang? Curious how old are these photos?