Hello! Another Guy Looking for a job!

The last post is all too true. I spent over 17 years at MSC. The last year I was there (well before the internet) every company I spoke with told me, “You spent how long there”??? They acted as if I was a 'tard.

[QUOTE=“seadog6608;95684”]Reb, I told you to look into the Great Lakes. Now check out GRN. Get away from arab steamship.[/QUOTE]

Anyone thinking that going to GRN is a good idea is a fool… unless you like the company being able to take your OT, not giving you what’s needed to fix things, sub standard food, and getting 12 emails from different office people about the same issue at the sametime, all on a boat that has been driven into the ground.

[QUOTE=Wolfesown47th;95951]Anyone thinking that going to GRN is a good idea is a fool… unless you like the company being able to take your OT, not giving you what’s needed to fix things, sub standard food, and getting 12 emails from different office people about the same issue at the sametime, all on a boat that has been driven into the ground.[/QUOTE]

I’m stickin where I’m at!

Also nothing wrong with being a career sailor. (AB) I’m interested in climbing the ladder but not anytime soon. I have a longgggggg way to go before that. I got a late start and have alot of work to do before I’m ready to become a 3rd. I think I’m on the right track I just need a few more seasons.

[QUOTE=“Rebel_Rider1969;96069”]

I’m stickin where I’m at!

Also nothing wrong with being a career sailor. (AB) I’m interested in climbing the ladder but not anytime soon. I have a longgggggg way to go before that. I got a late start and have alot of work to do before I’m ready to become a 3rd. I think I’m on the right track I just need a few more seasons.[/QUOTE]

Good on you Brother! Keep up the good work and positive attitude! We need more like you out here on the water.

It appears this is the end of this thread but me being never working on a ship before. In order for me to get a job…
Take my arse to LA and start some meet and greets… I received my 2011 stcw course, mmc and Twic. I’m looking to be on a OSV. 21/21
I’m currently in law enforcement but It appears to be a career with a sub par end with alot of risk.

I’ve applied to numerous companies and no call backs yet… I want to start calling on the phone but it appears to pester people.
From this conversation I gather I need a vacation and go face to face… Thanks to all people contributing any information so far!!!

There’s plenty of information about this all over the place, but I’ll throw you a bone. Hornbeck says they are going to restart their OS to mate program again. In 4 years you can go from OS to 3/M unlimited in this program and make some good money along the way.

That’s sounds really good… Thanks

Last info I saw on this they had 15 positions to fill for the program this year.

I’m not so sure bout that 3.0 gpa… Lol.

Well back in the job hunt. The guys with senority will get the first spots. Closer to “go time” something might happen. I’m still up for relief work with Liberty but can’t stand around waiting for a call. With only 3 non-union boats they have alot of guys looking for work. Crap! Any other laker/deep sea companys?? Figures i find a good gig and get bumped. Dammit.

Bouchard??

It’s time…

Try Kirby…just go to the offshore division…you may have some luck there.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;97165]Any other laker/deep sea companys?? Figures i find a good gig and get bumped. Dammit.[/QUOTE]

Its winter time, the locks are shut down and almost all of the ships are laid up. Come mid March they will start fitting out. Try Grand River Navigation, the Mckee Sons is still running up the Cuyahoga river and they will probably be looking for guys once they start fitting out in March.

Sorry to hear about gettin’ bumped Rebel… your saga inspired me to knock on doors throughout the bayou until I could get my foot in the door, 6 weeks of couch-surfing, sleeping in my truck, shelter crashing, pb&j dinners , day labor wages to gas in the tank… those late-night phone calls to my wife reinforcing the idea that this will pay off… just give me one more week babe I know something is gonna break open any day now. Then finally that one golden phone call from ECO; Nicky was calling me in! Many a night I thought about throwing in the towel and gettin’ one of the BS 9-5 gigs… then I’d remember all the stories like yours, that I wasn’t the only one trying to get through that wall… all those success stories like yours keep me going. Ya’ never know what tomorrows tide brings in.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;97165]Well back in the job hunt. The guys with senority will get the first spots. Closer to “go time” something might happen. I’m still up for relief work with Liberty but can’t stand around waiting for a call. With only 3 non-union boats they have alot of guys looking for work. Crap! Any other laker/deep sea companys?? Figures i find a good gig and get bumped. Dammit.[/QUOTE]

Reb: You can always use the successful job search method that you used before — drive south and knock on doors. Now that you have recent industry training and experience, it should be a lot easier this time.

Alternatively, this might be a good time to seek some additional training until the lakes open up again.

Headed down south this week, I would much rather work on the “LAKES” but am not gonna bet on a maybe. I would go for more schooling but need more time under my belt first and I have to figure out a plan first.

Drive over to muskegon… Andrie isnt that bad to work for, the check clears the bank, and they feed you well. Plus not to far from home, until something better comes along.

Good luck. We’ll look forward to your report.

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;96333]There’s plenty of information about this all over the place, but I’ll throw you a bone. Hornbeck says they are going to restart their OS to mate program again. In 4 years you can go from OS to 3/M unlimited in this program and make some good money along the way.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Any info on who can apply? That would be great if they start it this year.