Hello! Another Guy Looking for a job!

Sounds like a basic day on a tug, glad you are enjoying it!

[QUOTE=rshrew;87128]Sounds like a basic day on a tug, glad you are enjoying it![/QUOTE]

Iam itā€™s hard but it makes ya feel really good cause not just anybody can do this work. It gives me a real feeling of pride. Iā€™m somewhat concerned cause I donā€™t have a 100% grasp on the job yet. There is so much for an old dog to learn. Iā€™m actually concerned about possialby getting canned. On and off the wire is DANGOROUS! ya really have to be on 100% there is NO room for errors.

I also learned how to splice, I did my first 12 strand eye splice, on the bowline no less. Itā€™s pretty cool to know my splice is holding the tug in the notch.

Iā€™m lucky cause Iā€™m on a good boat with a great crew. Very professional group of men. I was extra impressed cause the Cheif engeneer was out on deck right there with us running the capsin pulling the pin. (he used to work in the bering sea,crabs) Like I said very professional crew they all pitch in and lend a hand to help the noob learn stuff. The Captain said my Nav skills are great,radar,contact watching,steering,keeping the boat on track etc. My deck skills not so much.

Rebel you gotta crawl before you can walk. You need to be a good deckhand before you start trying to run the boat

[QUOTE=Tugted;87203]Rebel you gotta crawl before you can walk. You need to be a good deckhand before you start trying to run the boat[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree. I was just saying that part of the job I can do. Iā€™m still working hard to be a good deckhand. Iā€™m not qualified or skilled to run a rowboat yet alone a ship.

What ever happened to Rebel??

[QUOTE=Tugted;91802]What ever happened to Rebel??[/QUOTE]

Great minds think alike. I was just thinking the same thing and was going to start a new thread to see if anyone had heard from him.

Texted with him last week he is doing well. He has a story to tell so Iā€™m gonna wait til he gets on here and tells it.

In sure he"ll get a few thousand people to read it!

Hey Yall!!

Iā€™ve been busier than a one-legged stripper doing a table hop.

First, Iā€™m no longer at Hornbeck. Got ā€œlayed offā€ and thatā€™s all Iā€™m gonna say about thatā€¦

7 days after I got home early Dec. I got a job with Amercian Steamship (Amercian Courage) and shipped out on the 15th of Dec and got home on the 20th of Jan. I will be returning on March 20th to work there.Much better job I actually get to do AB work. I was onboard about 20 days and was promoted to Bosun (over the deck crew) I took to this work like a duck to water. Shifting,loading,unloading, running deck crane,nav watch and running the cargo crane and dropping and retreving the anchor, hosing/cleaning cargo holds/deck lots of REAL AB work.

8 hour day, ANYTHING over is OTā€¦16 hours OT each week (sat,sun). Satellite TV, no cooking/galley work. Pvt room/head. Unlimited Hot Water!!. Got $51 an hour to eat pie and watch TV on X-masā€¦ Initally I thought I was not going to make much money due to the lower day rate, not so. I made more with the OT. When not on watch you can LEAVE the ship and go off and do stuff.

Another good thingā€¦ TONNAGEā€¦ Unlimited.

I really enjoyed to work and the conditions not to mention the $$$.

More later!

1 Like

I dont understand why some of these companies spend so much money like they did on rebel getting them uniforms, jackets, float coats, etc and then lay them off. It makes no sense why not wait until the employee has been there for 6 months or so and make sure they fit, or make sure they are needed.

Thereā€™s two sides to every story. He says laid off hornbeck might say something else. I know hornbeck hasnā€™t laid off anyone on the osvā€™s. Donā€™t know about the tugs.

Reb, I told you to look into the Great Lakes. Now check out GRN. Get away from arab steamship.

Hornbeck is in need of qualified AB 's for their tug fleet. I believe there is more to the story.

I think you are right.

I have been at my company over a year and still donā€™t have the approved uniform but nether does anyone else

1 Like

I enjoy Rebā€™s posts. I do not want to see him discouraged.

His first commercial seagoing job ā€” on the Hornbeck tugs, did not work out for him for whatever reason. So what? Shit happens. Heā€™s trying to put the best spin on it that he can ā€” just as any of us would do in similar circumstances. Although we would all love to hear the details of what is wrong (from his perspective) with working on the Hornbeck tugs, we have to respect his decision not to tell us. Reb is putting Hornbeck behind him and moving forward with better new opportunities. Good for him.

Welcome back Reb!

[QUOTE=tugsailor;95766]I enjoy Rebā€™s posts. I do not want to see him discouraged.

His first commercial seagoing job ā€” on the Hornbeck tugs, did not work out for him for whatever reason. So what? Shit happens. Heā€™s trying to put the best spin on it that he can ā€” just as any of us would do in similar circumstances. Although we would all love to hear the details of what is wrong (from his perspective) with working on the Hornbeck tugs, we have to respect his decision not to tell us. Reb is putting Hornbeck behind him and moving forward with better new opportunities. Good for him.

Welcome back Reb![/QUOTE]

Well said!! we all know that feeling of being somewhere that for what ever reason just does not work. It sounds like Reb found a place that will make him happy and the biggest plus is he is happy with the money. So good for him!

Man I hate to see that. The Michigan Service is in Fourchon and I was wondering how he was doing on it.

Re: What happened @ Hornbeck, Sure I could turn this tread into an episode of ā€œHousewives of Hornbeckā€ but why bother? I got some good training, learned about wireboats, got paid, saw how big cajun companys work and I relised Iā€™m a better fit on a laker. (as proof I was promoted to Bosun) As far as the money goes I made +50% (in 36 days) of what I made in 5 months @ hornbeckā€¦(no bullshit, Iā€™m looking at my w-2 from hornbeck as I type this)ā€¦ I think the Lakers might be a ā€œsecretā€ that is kept from the average cajun seaman. Low pay? bad conditions? Stay away from Lakers? News to me.
ASC might not be the ā€œbestā€ company but at least they offer X-mas bonus of 10 or 15% of your total pay for the seasonā€¦ do tha math.

Anyway, Iā€™m happy, off till March 20th!

Also no JSAā€™s or the mountians of BS paperwork!

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;95799]Re: What happened @ Hornbeck, Sure I could turn this tread into an episode of ā€œHousewives of Hornbeckā€ but why bother? I got some good training, learned about wireboats, got paid, saw how big cajun companys work and I relised Iā€™m a better fit on a laker. (as proof I was promoted to Bosun) As far as the money goes I made +50% (in 36 days) of what I made in 5 months @ hornbeckā€¦(no bullshit, Iā€™m looking at my w-2 from hornbeck as I type this)ā€¦ I think the Lakers might be a ā€œsecretā€ that is kept from the average cajun seaman. Low pay? bad conditions? Stay away from Lakers? News to me.
ASC might not be the ā€œbestā€ company but at least they offer X-mas bonus of 10 or 15% of your total pay for the seasonā€¦ do tha math.

Anyway, Iā€™m happy, off till March 20th!

Also no JSAā€™s or the mountians of BS paperwork![/QUOTE]

Thatā€™s the good thing about there being different companies that run different equipment, not everything works for everyone. I am glad that you landed a position with a company that works for you. I hope that you continue to enjoy the work. As you said even though it did not work out for you at Hornbeck you learned a lot that will make you more valuable to other employers. I was an odd ball (No Jokes Please as most would most likely be correct) in that I stayed at one company for Twenty Years and would still be there if not for my back.

I have been told that in the Business World they almost look down at you if you stay in one position for over Five Years. I guess they figure that you do not want to move up. Thatā€™s the problem with our industry. No one wants to stay as an AB anymore. They want to move up the ladder as fast as they can. Unfortunately, the ABā€™s that want to stay an AB are sometimes looked down at because they are happy were they are.

I worked with a bunch of A/Eā€™s that held C/E Licenses and had no intention to ever be Chief. They said they did not want all of the headaches that I had. The funny thing is they caused most of the headaches!

Back on Topic, I wish you the Best of Luck Reb. Please keep coming back to keep us up to date. There are a lot of us pulling for you and your career.

1 Like