Hello! Another Guy Looking for a job!

Apparently there is a separate regime for mariners that serve aboard fishing vessels. Prior to the voyage, the master enters into an agreement with each seaman. After looking into it, this old admiralty book states that: for foreign and intercostal voyages, the master must pay each seaman promptly at the end of each voyage the balance of wages due within 24 hours after the cargo has been discharged or with four days after the seaman is discharged, whichever is earlier…

Good to know.

Don’t rely on any of that. Most of it is outdated theory. What happens in practice is that most seamen cannot afford to enforce their rights, and therefore never get paid. Generally, if a company does not pay, its because they don’t have any money.

Have you sent them a registered letter via the post office? It only costs a couple bucks. But lets them realize they have a verifiable record of communication between you now. Do you know the full name of the person in charge to write a letter to? You could also put a copy of your letter to the appropriate State Department of Labor the company is from asking for help resolving this matter. (Even if you haven’t actually sent it to the state!)

If you are talking about a fishing boat in Washington or Alaska, see this; http://www.atsealawyer.com/PracticeAreas/Wages.asp

This was very interesting and helpful. I had no idea wages were handled this way. I’m not used to waiting more than a day or two at the most for my paycheck, however, I am quite green in the industry, and others have told me that many companies perform more like other businesses is the sense that they have pay periods etc. I’m down to my last $5 in my bank account, that’s why I’m so hard up and asking all the questions. Can we still request cash payment when we are discharged from the ship? Is this frowned upon?

Ahh darn it!, Looks like I won’t get down to TX for a visit. I’ll be staying up North. I’ll be working on the Huron Service in the Great Lakes and then back to the MI Service in NYC on the oppsite crew. Just ready to get back to work!

I got another box in the mail!!! Uniforms!!!

[ATTACH]2410[/ATTACH]

Onboard the Huron!! Setup a bit like the Michigan.

I would prefer the other type of box with fun stuff like you got two weeks ago. This clothes crap is for work!

Did you get tue fancy room with double bed, satellite phone and direct tv?

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;83148]Did you get tue fancy room with double bed, satellite phone and direct tv?[/QUOTE]

No, but I did get my own stateroom , well sort of. It’s a bit small.LOL.

Saw one of the "Great lakes Warriors " tugs Sunday woo hoo!! Pulling a dredge and barge across Burns harbor. Single nylon line from stb corner…small tugs.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;83650]Saw one of the "Great lakes Warriors " tugs Sunday woo hoo!! Pulling a dredge and barge across Burns harbor. Single nylon line from stb corner…small tugs.[/QUOTE]

Were they on a “suicide” mission once again??

Home. Flying out to NYC next Weds for 21 days on the MI Service. Yeah!

Er to Baltimore on tha wire. Woot! !

Why do they pull off the quarter like that?

[QUOTE=Pikuptruk;85065]Why do they pull off the quarter like that?[/QUOTE]

No idea? Just the way.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;85000]Er to Baltimore on tha wire. Woot! ![/QUOTE]

Went by Atlantic city, I got to steer for about 4 hours and track contacts. Hell yeah!!!

First off Whew! Got home on the 24th. My first full hitch under my belt. My hats off to the wire boat guys, this is some tough ass work. Going from push to tow,getting on the wire and off the wire, calling ranges to the dock, shopping for grub 7 carts deep at the store, driving in NYC,cleaning the boat,chipping and painting (ya know ya have to really know what you are doing MIXING the paint) Nav watch, anchor watch, climbing down the barge to the dock to catch lines, tying up the barge, casting off the barge, dropping the hook. I prob forgot something. Never knew that there was boats where the Officers outnumber the AB’s. 3 Officers and 2 AB’s. All I know is I EARNED every dime. I also know why the offshore jobs pay as much as they do. *** New guys *** you will work harder than any job you have ever had!

[QUOTE *** New guys *** you will work harder than any job you have ever had![/QUOTE]
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!!!LOL!!