Hello! Another Guy Looking for a job!

HOS is hiring from my understanding. They have 16 new boats coming out and the number I heard was they were hiring like 600 people over the next year or ten months.

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;71917]HOS is hiring from my understanding. They have 16 new boats coming out and the number I heard was they were hiring like 600 people over the next year or ten months.[/QUOTE]

The first boats of that newbuild series isnā€™t due out until this time next year

Yes, I know this.

[QUOTE=gcsaylor;71920]The first boats of that newbuild series isnā€™t due out until this time next year[/QUOTE]

I have 4 apps in for ANYTHING they will hire forā€¦there again, applying for jobs that may or may not be openā€¦lol

• update - Atwood shot me down, as well as conoco phillips.

plus +50 apps in. no job yet. of course only prob 2 jobs were actually hiring, and those 2 prob had 600 apps. Dammitā€¦

You need to apply to companyā€™s that DO NOT HAVE WEB SITES!!! thats where the entry level jobs are. I was 18 months,
(200ton,master/mate,AB unlimited,stcw95,Radar Unlimited,com.towing) out of work did all the B.S. ā€œon lineā€.got same old line- ā€œhang in thereā€," we will be picking back up soon"ā€œcheck back every weekā€. IT wasnā€™t till I got in my car drove from Detroit to New Orleans and started knocking on doors from south to north that I landed my ā€œdream jobā€- ya - I racked up few thousand bucks on my Amx card but it was well worth it.
conoco shot me down ( 3 times now) also they wanted tankerman exper. I laugh, if they would have picked me up, by now Iā€™d have my tankerman endorsement.

Rebel Rider I canā€™t answer why people advertise for things they are not planning on doing, you will probably have a lot less hair on your head by the time you figure that one out. If you are close to the great lakes a couple names come to mind if you have not already contacted them. Some are union jobs but I know they do hire especially around the holidays. The regular people want to go home to be with their familyā€™s, and July 4th is coming. You might try Interlake steamship, Great lakes steamship, Great Lakes dredging, and Andrie Marine. For a short list of less then stellar carrer choices you might try some of these, just some more names off the top of my head. However a job is a job, if you are just wanting to get your foot in the door.

United Ocean shipping
Abdon Calias offshore
C and G boat rentals
International marine
Oceaneering
Cal Dive international
Kevin Gros offshore
Montco offshore
Dana Marine
Cherime Brothers
Crosby tugs
Tidewater
Seacor
McCallister towing

@Revel_rider1969ā€¦so ECO is not hiring for wiper or OS ??

ā€œAccording to MS. Reedā€ they are fullā€¦ or I;ve pissed somebody off and they donā€™t want meā€¦lol.

I think my biggest problem is lack of recent seatime. I also believe the ā€œbetterā€ companys want you all trained up and ready to work from day one with no learning curve.

I always ejnoy reading about the ā€œentry levelā€ positions that require 6 months exp. what a riot.

Thatā€™s ok, Iā€™ll get on somewhere?

I have all my papers, I just have to get my foot in the door!

TA-88-9

Two guys here at my B&B this week; one got hired with Harvey Gulf (3rd mate unlimited) other with International Marine (AB), started his orientation today.
Yes, like so many mariners have already stated, you have to be in the right place at the right time.
Itā€™s up to you to make it happen.
Lots of companies down here; some guys are taking positions to just get their seatime.
Then, when other jobs open with their dream companies they will have everything they need to achieve even higher positions.
Keep a positive attitude; just b/c someone else did not get hired, it doesnā€™t mean you wonā€™t get hired.
Best wishes to all of you.
Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou B&B
3158 Hwy 308
Raceland, LA
(985) 537-6773
http://www.achateauonthebayou.com

I know I just have to keep plugging away. Thanks to all for the tips and leads. Iā€™m travling down with my wife on the 12th or so of July to take my granddaughter home to the Alabama gulf coast.

My wife has to return to(Michigan) go back to work,( sheā€™s a Banker Thank Goodness! or weā€™d be in the street) she thought a day would be enough to locate a job, but I think it will be more like a week to really have a chance to find a job. So now I have a logistical problem to overcome. Get job or hitchhike 1400 miles back to the U.P. of Michiganā€¦ well at least itā€™s not snowing!

On the brightside somebody will get a very,very over-qualified deck hand/OS/Wiper/FH, thatā€™s gonna work like 3 people. lol.

I really wanted Deep Water but looks like all the ā€œgoodā€ jobs are in the GOM?

I also quit smoking 4 months ago after 24 yearsā€¦this is NOT HELPING!!!

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;72007]My wife has to return to(Michigan) go back to work,( sheā€™s a Banker Thank Goodness! or weā€™d be in the street) she thought a day would be enough to locate a job, but I think it will be more like a week to really have a chance to find a job. So now I have a logistical problem to overcome. Get job or hitchhike 1400 miles back to the U.P. of Michiganā€¦ well at least itā€™s not snowing!

[/QUOTE]

Da UP, eh? Worked with an engineer one time from Curtis. That was awhile ago.

Good luck to you. There are plenty of good threads on this site about knocking on doors down on the bayou.

Rebel have you tried the great lakes outfits?? Theres plenty of them up there.

Iā€™ve applied to a few, but they are all singing the ā€œUnion Bluesā€ Ya gotta join up to work. Then ALL the jobs are on rotation, so if some nut wonā€™t get off the boat you canā€™t goā€¦ when jobs come up you have to be standing in the union hall with all your papers in hand. Forgot a paper, NEXT! I think the nearest hall is in milwakee 4 hours away.

Kind of like the ā€œgood ole boyā€ system in the south. From what Iā€™ve been led to believe, you PAY your dues year round working or not. But Iā€™m just going on hearsay and I could be dead wrong.

As you can tell from my pix, Iā€™m distrustful of ā€œUnionsā€ ;~)

Plus work time is about +6 months here THE FREAKIN LAKES FREEZE SOLID!!! I would have never believed it had I not seen it. Itā€™s wild.

If summer arrives here in the U.P. on a weekend, weā€™ll have a BBQ! lol.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;71567]
Iā€™m even considering cruiselines and processing boatsā€¦ackā€¦ but I would rather not.

But I have to work!!!

Iā€™m not a wus and will work till I puke and my hands bleed and then go back for more. 75 days out / 10 days off, no problem

I want a better life and want to take better care of my wife and kids!!

[/QUOTE]

You claim you donā€™t mind working and want a better life but you want someone to hire you from Louisiana while you live in the U.P
When they need to fill a position they are not going to call you, wait for you to figure out travel and get you down there. They are gonna pull the next warm body that walks through the door with the proper credentials, thus why the guys that pound pavement see results.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;71567]Iā€™ve applied to a few, but they are all singing the ā€œUnion Bluesā€ Ya gotta join up to work. Then ALL the jobs are on rotation, so if some nut wonā€™t get off the boat you canā€™t goā€¦ when jobs come up you have to be standing in the union hall with all your papers in hand. Forgot a paper, NEXT! I think the nearest hall is in milwakee 4 hours away.

Kind of like the ā€œgood ole boyā€ system in the south. From what Iā€™ve been led to believe, you PAY your dues year round working or not. But Iā€™m just going on hearsay and I could be dead wrong.

As you can tell from my pix, Iā€™m distrustful of ā€œUnionsā€ ;~)

Plus work time is about +6 months here THE FREAKIN LAKES FREEZE SOLID!!! I would have never believed it had I not seen it. Itā€™s wild.
[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you are getting your info from but except for the SIU folks on American Steamship, the rest I believe are local 5000 steelworkers with Interlake Steamship, KeyLakes/Great Lakes Fleet, Central Marine Logistics, Grand River is MM&P, and Im not sure on Andrie. I know Grand river can direct hire, Interlake and Great Lakes fleet can, and Im guessing Central Marine can as well. All of my friends who have sailed as deckhands or ABā€™s have just submitted their Apps and waited for a call while also being persistent. Next thing you know they are in a rental car headed to meet the boat. Also many of my friends who have worked 2-3 months over the summer have just filled out the union paperwork once aboard, however you are on a probabtionary period before you start paying full dues and get benefits and they are usually off by then and back in school.

To me if you are so broke you canā€™t afford to stay in Louisiana for a week or two while your wife is back home working trying to snag a job then maybe sailing on the lakes wouldnā€™t be so bad for you.

1. it would give you some good recency
  2. time towards your AB unlimited
  3. It will get you in shape
  4. The season wraps up in January, hit the road with some cash(some pay bonuses for laying up the ships) and then go pound pavement in the gulf and find your dream job

Yes you may end up paying some money towards union dues, but your still making more money than sitting on the couch,and you are getting some benefits.

Also summer time is when a lot of guys want off the boat and is the perfect time for you to be submitting your apps and calling the HR people.

Just my outlook on your situation.

Thanks for the info, Iā€™ll be chasing these down tomm.

ahh I thought Interlake Steamship looked famliar. I applied with them 05/21/12. Called again this AM.

I sent info off to Central and Andrie this am. Any other Greatlakes companys??

Thanks!

Key Lakes/Great Lakes Fleet- Rachel Romich 218-723-2412 email- rromich@keyship.com

Grand River Navigation- Rick Turman 440-930-2024 Ext. 112 email- rturnman@grnavigation.com

Interlake tends to be hard to get on with and the Kaye Barker has been in the shipyard for repower, however she is due to be coming out soon and might open a few spots. Grand River has a tug/barge at the shipyard getting a new boom installed and then will be sailing this summer. Great Lakes Fleet needs someone every now and then just be persistent especially in the next few weeks as the 4th of July comes up.

I called the SIU, see post istarted ā€œUnionsā€ The info I has was just about spot on. 502 miles awayā€¦no go. Iā€™ll contact Key and Grand right now, TKS GLMA

Thats why I never gave you the info for American Steamship Company, they are SIU and yes they only hire out of the hall. The rest can direct hire whomever they want.

Be persistent with Grand River and Great Lakes Fleet and you can pull it off. A Cadet friend of mine who is 56 years sailed as a deckhand for 2 months last summer between our Sea Project and school starting back up in Sept. The day he got off our training ship he would call and find out if anything was open. the next week call back and remind them your bags are packed. after two weeks and around the 4th of July he shipped out. I had several others sail with Grand River last summer and in December.

Good Luck Rebel

Got a bite today, hopefully I can set the hook! 2nd question they asked was is your bag packedā€¦ :~) I feel like X-mas is tomm and Iā€™m 12ā€¦lol