Hello! Another Guy Looking for a job!

That’s right, I forgot he’s sailing OS. AB would be a good bump.

Get your AB ticket asap for a nice pay bump.

Sure you can. It just has to be tugs over 100GT on other than inland routes.

Also since it was mentioned, just because you have A.B. doesn’t mean you are guaranteed more $$. Some of the less reputable companies make it obvious that they will require A.B. to get in the door, but will only pay you the higher rate when the tug goes on a voyage that requires an A.B.!

I’m an AB-Limited. I did get a small bump for each of the DD-214’s I had as well as RFPNW, not sure about the lifeboat. They do pay extra for endorsments. There is this mystic pay table that pays x for this and X for that in addition to the AB. I do know that tankerman-pic pays +50 a day.

That’s been taken away on the HOS side. Now its easy to understand

Confined space could get you a few bucks. Hazwoper. Tankerman would be a bump but only if your using it i.e. Working on barge as tankerman. Passport? You could get a few bucks if you go get a 100 ton… Which you should easily pass with minimal study and a trip to your local rec. Ive heard shipyard competant person is worth a bit. Its not a secret rebel. Call your crew cordinator and ask her to help you make a list to fill the gaps in your pay.

Does the HOT side still have the template?

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;80211]Does the HOT side still have the template?[/QUOTE]

I believe so as I turned in my 2nd DD-214 and noticed a $4.xx bump in my day rate. My day rate includes cents? That’s what got me thinking about getting more endorsments to bump my pay up. I think the endorsments even if not billited in that job count towards the day rate. If so I can get an “instant” raise by taking a class. If so I stumbled into a gold mine only limited by how bad i want a raise and if I’m willing to goto school or test to get it. Some of the HOT AB’s were talking about “hazwoper” as a bump I think.

** Also it looks like the MI Service is 98gt ** ;~(

I found this it’s 100% online. Something i could do sitting right here.
OSHA 40 Hour HAZWOPER Online - $310.00[B]http://www.safetyunlimited.com/online-courses/40-hour-HAZWOPER-online.asp[/B]

Most of us have put in a lot of time on small tonnage vessels that do not provide any useful seatime for license upgrades, this sucks, but it is just the nature of the business. Just focus on what you are getting out of it: recency, time toward Mate 500, real towing experience, time toward Tankerman PIC, a good paycheck, and paid travel. Don’t sweat a few extra dollars here and there right now, you’re getting paid a lot more than you are presently worth, and your pay will probably double over the next couple of years.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;80258]Most of us have put in a lot of time on small tonnage vessels that do not provide any useful seatime for license upgrades, this sucks, but it is just the nature of the business. Just focus on what you are getting out of it: recency, time toward Mate 500, real towing experience, time toward Tankerman PIC, a good paycheck, and paid travel. Don’t sweat a few extra dollars here and there right now, you’re getting paid a lot more than you are presently worth, and your pay will probably double over the next couple of years.[/QUOTE]

Ouch! but you are right 100%. I almost shit when I opened my “1st” check. and that was only for 15 days and it was half of the pay earned.(they bank half) After taxes it was almost as much as my wife makes in a month as a Licensed Banker. I imagine that a full check will be more than she makes in a month working.(and that’s just 1/2 of my pay!) I just need to learn,learn,learn and start earning my pay and worry about the “other” stuff later.

On a sidenote It was great to hand over my check and tell my wife to “pay all the bills” she lit up like a lighthouse. ;~) Things have been real tight over the last 6 months in the “Rebel” household and not just the bills. Lots of stress on her and me. So were gonna go this weekend and have a real holliday. Just me,the wife and the “other woman” (my harley,see photo in my folders) she want’s to take one of the lake supieor glass bottom boat tours (oh look a boat,lol) or we will do something else fun and completly “unproductive”

Congratulations on using your money wisely. "Being a fool for a woman is always the right thing to do."
Regarding education, becoming a valued and well-liked shipmate is the most important part to learn, IMHO. For some it comes easily. For others, not so easily. But, to get along, we need to get along.

Seems like you have your head screwed on right. Just keep your head down and your mouth shut and you should do just fine. One thing that I learned is when a employee goes out of his or her way to take courses on the time off on their own the company will notice. While it may not help you in the short term it definitely not hurt you.

Best of Luck Buddy

We only get $5 increase for rigging. Haz and all the other stuff doesn’t get us a raise

I think for the HOS H.O.T. fleet they are still using the “template” and endorsments get +X per day bump. Like I said earlier I get $4 per DD-214 so $8 a day bump. Not much but I’m glad to get it plus it’s nice to get something for the time/service I did. People can say what they will about Hornbeck but this is a put your money where your mouth is thing. It’s [U]$168.00 per hitch.($2352.00 more a year)[/U] SO I CAN SAFELY SAY HORNBECK LOVES VETERANS. That goes along way with me.

[QUOTE=CurryAK;80205]Confined space could get you a few bucks. Hazwoper. Tankerman would be a bump but only if your using it i.e. Working on barge as tankerman. Passport? You could get a few bucks if you go get a 100 ton… Which you should easily pass with minimal study and a trip to your local rec. Ive heard shipyard competant person is worth a bit. Its not a secret rebel. Call your crew cordinator and ask her to help you make a list to fill the gaps in your pay.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that rear deck looks familiar? is that the Energy 111xx on the wire? (she’s a huge beast) if so that was me dragging lines around on the dock at 21st street(on the 22nd) with Beave yelling.(not at me):wink:

Looks like the MS is back in the lower 48! You never know where you’re going back to work.

Gulf Service & the 104

[QUOTE=CurryAK;80595]Gulf Service & the 104[/QUOTE]

ahh 10-4. The 104 must be a beast too!
I just missed a trip to Boston. ;( The MI Service was there yesterday. Basied on the the track looks like they did a MOB drill. Well, I hope it was a drill!! They are headed back to NYC now.

Rebel, which boat are you on?? I just saw a Hornbeck unit go by Bayway, NJ Steamer Dock #2. It was the Michigan Service and the Energy 6507. Actually a couple of hours ago…just got off watch and had time to post.

Yep! that’s it! Did ya see the shiny new paint? That was me! I think I still have a bit in my hair ;~) Crew change here in the next few days fly to NYC then back to work for 21! Yeah! (can’t wait to pull a full 21 day check!!! hot damm!) They may have been headed to the 21st street pier.

I was just today sitting on ass playing with my new smartphone thinking how damm lucky Iam to have landed such a great job with fantastic pay! (hey, it is a great job and the pay is fantastic to ME) I know what I’m making is pocket change to what you guys are making, I can even begin to imagine what life could be like making 400,600 + a day. I really can’t imagine how that must feel, but I hope to find out!

Keep up the good work and you will be well on your way to playing with the big boys. Everyone has started at or near the bottom one time or another.