Hello! Another Guy Looking for a job!

Hey Reb has a job. The training budget comes and goes. It’ll come back.

OMG let’s all run to ECO!

Just pot stirring. Rebel was the big cheerleader before day one :slight_smile:

And please don’t all come to ECO…HOS needs all the help they can get to stay 2cd place with all the new builds and acquisitions Harvey is making…

Haha I got you. HOS isn’t really in a training freeze as much as its suffering from growing pains. From my understanding, the person who was in charge of training wasn’t doing it correctly and HOS let her go. Now they have taken a step back to reevaluate the training program and get it going in the right direction. They also are now making new hires wait 90 days before they can sign up for non required classes, things like DP school, license upgrade classes and what not, to try and keep people from dining and dashing. I don’t know how true all this is, but its what I’ve been told.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;79705]Whew!!

“Accomadations” are cramped,noisy but liveable. I had a top rack, somedays it was a struggle to get in after a tough shift.(no ladder)

Enjoying my 21 day vacation!!!

** EDIT as far as the tug being “OLD” she’s been rebuilt from the keel up. Brand new gensets,pumps,engines just rebuilt, new decking inside, high end electroincs,upper wheelhouse, clean as a pin and fresh paint.(by me!) I think she was built in 81? but you would [U]never[/U] know it.[/QUOTE]

I was just busting your chops a little Reb. I was the chief on that boat 18 maybe 19 years ago, so I know all about it. Did you get stuck in that small deck hands room all the way forward on the starboard side? The one across the hall from the head? If so I feel for you, that is about the samlest bunk room I have ever seen. You have to back yourself out into the hall way to change your mind. LOL. I have a closet at my house bigger than that entire room.

Congrats on the succesful first trip.

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;79822]Haha I got you. HOS isn’t really in a training freeze as much as its suffering from growing pains. From my understanding, the person who was in charge of training wasn’t doing it correctly and HOS let her go. Now they have taken a step back to reevaluate the training program and get it going in the right direction. They also are now making new hires wait 90 days before they can sign up for non required classes, things like DP school, license upgrade classes and what not, to try and keep people from dining and dashing. I don’t know how true all this is, but its what I’ve been told.[/QUOTE]

Your right, it is 90 days for the smaller classes. (I just checked my new hire paperwork,duh) I do think they have the "promisarry? note thing still for the big classes.(1 or 2 years?) To be honest I don’t blame em’.

Seems like “hazwoper” can be taken online??? this also adds to your day pay??? Any of you HOS guys know of any other classes that can add to your day rate? I wish I had a copy of the “endsorments that add to your pay” I asked for a copy but they acted like I was asking for a copy of the davinci code? Prob some of the double-aught spy stuff. ;~)

**** Also forgot to mention pay for the HOT fleet is diffrent. They divide the pay up so you get paid the same amount every two weeks. So when your working you get paid and when your off you get paid.

All these companies are suffering from dine and dashers…especially fresh cadets

[QUOTE=rigdvr;79837]All these companies are suffering from dine and dashers…especially fresh cadets[/QUOTE]

Those guys were like that 25 years ago, and they are still like that today, nothing new. It just cost the companies more money now days when they leave.

A promise note is nothing new. When I got my license 15yrs ago I had to sign one to Turecamo.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;79833]I was just busting your chops a little Reb. I was the chief on that boat 18 maybe 19 years ago, so I know all about it. Did you get stuck in that small deck hands room all the way forward on the starboard side? The one across the hall from the head? If so I feel for you, that is about the samlest bunk room I have ever seen. You have to back yourself out into the hall way to change your mind. LOL. I have a closet at my house bigger than that entire room.

Congrats on the succesful first trip.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Chief, Yep it’s a closet, I have a pix in my phone but can’t seem to get it to my email. I had to keep my stuff in the forward gear locker with the spare parts and water pump. I do know it gets so damm cold in that room you have to SHUT the vent, brrrrrrr.

He (the Chief) had a problem with the coolant for the port/stb gensets and had to have some welding in some bleeder valves on the coolant pipes in the aft bildge? Something about air getting into the system? Center hatch behind the winch. I had fire and safety watch on the welder while he did it after that I relized i don’t like confined spaces joined with stinkin’ welding. We did have a blower on the hatch but it still sucked. I do some warm body engeniering stuff as well. When I get back I’ll get signed off on starting the engines,pre-lube,gensets etc…I do know that the port engine has to be started first, it uses more air to start than the stbd and you have to pull the relay before starting? It would be nice if they gave some seatime credit for the wiper stuff. I don’t know if they do or not. Anyway lot’s of opportunitys to learn about everything working on a tug. I’m really enjoying it and looking forward to getting back on and learning more. I figure the more I learn, the more I’m worth to the company. (Also +$$$ for me)

I know I’m on the MI Service for at least one more hitch, I’ve been told they move you around during “training” NYC is a very busy place.

I forgot to mention while I was out working Andrie Transportation called me about an AB opptunity… lol. So here’s a free job lead for somebody!!!

Here’s the # 1-231-728-2226 good luck guys.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;79851] It would be nice if they gave some seatime credit for the wiper stuff. I don’t know if they do or not.[/QUOTE]
I am guessing you could ask for engine room seatime. But, you would not then be able to use those days for deck seatime. Which category do you want to advance in the quickest?

Actually some of eng time counts. Think it’s like up to 180 days can be credited towards total seatime

[QUOTE=joemac33703;79955]Actually some of eng time counts. Think it’s like up to 180 days can be credited towards total seatime[/QUOTE]

He has wiper now. The next step is to get QMED. He needs 180 days as a wiper for that. No deck time credited. Once he has QMED he can go for DDE, where some deck time can be credited.

Rebel… Don’t be in a big hurry to get into the pilothouse. If you aren’t really prepared to handle all the crud that can happen, it could cost the lives of others, if not yourself or result in serious damage to somebody’s equipment or your pride, whichever is more fragile. Your first goal should be to become knowledgeable, capable and reliable on deck, since if you were in the pilothouse, that’s what you would expect from the deck department. If this means making sure toilets are clean and white, then that’s what it means. If it means lines are spliced and tapered nicely, that’s what it means. If it means responding to emergency situations (rescue at sea, broken tow wire in a storm etc etc) without getting yourself and others killed, that’s what it means. Take the time to get some experiences under your belt on deck. I can tell you from experience, that if you move up too fast, if your ambition exceeds your common sense, and you make it somehow without a disaster, then your anus will be squeezed into a pinhole and you’ll be sweating some very scary times before you do get the experience to know better. Stay safe. Stay teachable.

I have ALOT to learn before driving anything other than a deck winch or paintbrush. I just don’t want 4-6 years to slip by with no plan in place. I actually like the Tug work it’s busy,challenging and physical and mentally, but you don’t earn any tonnage as all I think are under 100 tons. For us “deck guys” (proud to be a part of that group) tonnage is everything. I don’t think an AB working on just tugs could ever get their AB Limited even and that sucks.

I also think it’s “cool” ( I might be werid) to have one of the few jobs that historicaly has not changed that much in the last +400 years. Hell one of the endorsments I have involved learning to row…I’m pretty sure there were AB’s on the Mayflower bitching about something, lol. For me snapping right hand turns on a bit is fun. For my old ass every 12 hour watch is like a triathlon, with advil at the end. I’ve also been getting up in my “off” time time to help moor the barge and tug techinly for free because i need the exp. Also staying on to help when there is too much work for just one or two AB’s to handle. (the other two AB’s are on 6 on 6 off) And simple stuff like moving somebodys laundry into the dryer so somebody else can wash theirs goes along way.

I got my AB ltd off of tugs. You just cant get unlimited.

BOOM!!! Got my FIRST CHECK today!! WOOT! WOOT!! but I can’t deposit it till the 28th! Crap! Somehow I got 1 OT day (HOLY CRAP! ! ;~) Only a 15 day check(6 days short) but WOW! Also in the HOT fleet they divide your pay up and you get a check every two weeks for the same amount.(unless you work over) So I kinda got PTO and paid travel!!! - put that in the “ice cream machine”!
My insurance(and wife) will kick in after 90 so that will cut it down some :~( I bet I paid $400 to nonsense USG tax crap. Damm taxes.

Now If i can pick up a $20 a day boost/endorsment that could cover my insurance. If I take the rigger’s class would that do it? Hazwoper? HOS guys any ideas?

AB unlimited is the only way you can get better AB pay on the HOS side.

Sailing as os? A.B should get you about 65 more.