Hello! Another Guy Looking for a job!

You know, I don’t see what the big deal about wanting travel pay is. Every company I have ever worked for paid travel door to door. Even the companies that didn’t pay worth a crap like Moran, TAL and Kirby paid door to door. I’m also tired of hearing excuses like “companies won’t be competitive if they do that” or “just move closer then.” I find it hard to believe that just about every other part of the industry can do this and the GoM can’t. What it all boils down to is the people who go home at night may lose a little bit of cash or may not get that pay raise they wanted. Just because I took the job doesn’t mean I was happy with the travel pay policy. It seems to me the people who don’t care about it are the ones who live close and either break even or make a little bit out of it. Start dishing out hundreds of dollars per hitch and see how happy you are about it. Yes it’s a job, yes the pay is good, no one can deny that, but companies are still behind the times when it comes to travel.

You can’t lump all sectors of maritime work into one industry. I live far enough away to get some travel pay except the office counts mileage as the crow flies so I get nothing. I knew that going in.

I just find it hard to believe day rates have increased so much over the last year but it’s never enough. If they start paying travel guess who their last hire option will be regardless of quality or credentials…the guy flying cross country. Then you will be mad about that.

So you want top day rate like here, with door to door travel like the lesser companies? Sounds like having cake and eating it too…drilling companies would be your best bet.

Sounds like you’re a good company man. I find it funny you’re so against something like this. No one is wanting a $100 a day raise, just better travel pay. It would be different if the rest of the industry didn’t do it…

The rest of the industry doesn’t do it…they are not the same industry just because they all float. You can’t compare shipping, towing, drilling, OSV’s, ect as one. Most other mariners want our day rate, we want their travel, so on and so forth. It’s human nature to want whatever we don’t have.

I’d take the day rate increase over travel. Only a year or so ago 1600/3000 ticket masters were 550/day. Now many are pushing 900/day. Adds up to be much better overall than a plane ticket or gas money.

Be careful what you wish for…if travel pay becomes the norm, who do you think the last to get hired/first to get fired will be? For every industry boom there will be a bust and though things are booming now, we are all one BP Horizon type incident away from bust and if I’m the HR guy and boats are getting stacked, I’m definitely sending the guy with round trip airfare home before a lot of others.

I’m not a company man, just a realist. The guy at the office isn’t giving up jack shit so you can get travel. Bank on that. These are bayou companies who take care of their own first, always have been. In my mind I can get bent out of shape over the couple hundred in gas I spend per hitch or realize the average pay has nearly doubled in the last year during one of the worst economic climates of my life. Try telling your non maritime friends your salary then complain about travel :-). Maybe one day I will get compensated for travel…great. But it’s not a deal breaker so I don’t waste my time bitching about a job I’m overall extremely thankful for.

Lol im poor and dont care bout door to door, yes it would be nice but shouldnt be a determining factor of saying no to a job,

Well it has to be a factor. Some jobs wouldn’t be worth it if the costs associated outweighed the benefit. This isn’t the case with OSV’s…for me at least.

The bayou companies have been doing business the same way since they were in business. They have never paid travel for working in the GoM. Everyone knows that, before they hire on down there. I can just about promise as long as people continue to fly down there on their own dime, they have no incentive to change, and as long as people continue to come they probably never will. Only when they are hurting for people and can’t find crew they might change. Even that I believe will be slow in coming. As long as the HR guy has a stack of resume’s and applications as tall as his desk to choose from, that alone means they are not going to have to do anything different than they have the last 50 years. Every one here for the most part is making more than they have in their entire life, if you can’t survive on todays day rates I feel sorry for you guys. You should have been there 20 years ago when I first started down the bayou, then you would have something to complain about. Enjoy your fat paycheck and be thankful your getting it, others are no where near as lucky.

It’s amazing how much we are all worth and what we all “deserve” nowadays.

Aint that the truth, not mraning to get off subject, but it kills me to see ppl on here complain about pay yes I know if you did the time you would want it but to say man I won’t work for that pay, sometimes piss me off, I be wanting to say try living out here in these damn streets and shelters with old food to eat when you in a shelter, and none when you in your car, be grateful for what you have or for what you could get people out here don’t have anything, and would take anything.

Just hit the bitch slap button for my misspelled word I ment meaning lol

Here’s the scoop -Ok, put the “i” in ironic. Ill be on the Michigan Service…lol. Pay is set up so you get the same amount every two weeks. On or off. I can work 6 weeks in a row if i want to. I have to rotate cooking. As soon as i get there i can start working on my Tankerman PIC. ;~) as well as my normal AB/Nav quals(new hire) No pay from house to airport(50 miles x2) everything else is covered. Air,cab,launch,motel, etc. I will leave N.O. to NYC. Then normal rot after the 22nd. From green bay to? ?? Philly? I will be running east coast /canada/lakes etc.

Very cool. Figures, i finely go down to the bayou and get a job working up north. One to the reasons was that my record was clear to travel to Canada also living up that way as well. Once i get my tank pic i get a nice $ bump even if im still an AB on the roster and. Even more when i get assigned to a barge!

Im stoked!!!

Here’s the scoop -Ok, put the “i” in ironic. Ill be on the Michigan Service…lol. Pay is set up so you get the same amount every two weeks. On or off. I can work 6 weeks in a row if i want to. I have to rotate cooking. As soon as i get there i can start working on my Tankerman PIC. ;~) as well as my normal AB/Nav quals(new hire) No pay from house to airport(50 miles x2) everything else is covered. Air,cab,launch,motel, etc. I will leave N.O. to NYC. Then normal rot after the 22nd. From green bay to? ?? Philly? I will be running east coast /canada/lakes etc.

Very cool. Figures, i finely go down to the bayou and get a job working up north. One to the reasons was that my record was clear to travel to Canada also living up that way as well. Once i get my tank pic i get a nice $ bump even if im still an AB on the roster and. Even more when i get assigned to a barge!

Im stoked!!!

Oh yeah my crew cordinator had been following my thread on here…NO B.S. When she asked i tried to pretend like it wasnt me, she knew it was me.

Who else could it have been? You’re one of a kind. Congrats again!

Goooollly (Gomer Pile intonation)

Sorry for the dbl post. On my book. Oh for you non-believers about the crew cordinator - Critter was standing next to me when she asked, we had a good laugh.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;77769]Who else could it have been? You’re one of a kind. Congrats again![/QUOTE]Thanks!!!

[QUOTE=rjbpilot;77771]Goooollly (Gomer Pile intonation)[/QUOTE]Nope it’s "HOOOOTTTT DAWWWWGGGG!!! (JETHRO)

Wow, the travel pay issue is really festering. If companies pay international travel door to door, including day rate, they should not have a problem covering ALL U.S. employees their travel expenses, less the daily rate. Looks like Reb is making out well with his travel…lets included everyone on that.
And who cares what kind of work it is, marine related or otherwise, a company pays travel and all relevant expenses related to it for their employees. IT’S PART OF OPERATING EXPENSES AND IS TAX DEDUCTIBLE. This is the corporate world now, not one boat fleet mom and pop bayou running cornpone fleet operations. Let’s step it up.
The premise that cuts to labor, based on the amount of travel pay they receive is very weak. In the grand scheme a company pays a pittance for travel related expenses. The pressures on marine operators (government and customers) to have only highly qualified crews on board their vessels has been the impetus to seek employees from all corners, nationally and internationally. Travel pay is just a minuscule part of the equation to obtain their services.
One last thing: Why do all drilling companies pay full travel for their employees? Because of what I just elaborated on.
Thank you

Rebel is right! It just goes to show you, you never know who’s reading these threads…