Haven't seen any discussion yet on the just implemented medical NVIC 04-08

For the record, I have yet to meet ANYONE that would sign off a TOAR with that kind of speed. NOT the point I was illustrating CA, but I agree with you.
As for: If it is true it is complete and utter bullshit, primarily IMHO because it gives the cadets a false impression that they’re “tug boat ready” out of the gate I’ve met MANY a Cadet that DIDN’T need a simulator to believe they were more skilled than I at the wheel.
JED sends STILL swinging in the York River

The ingrained resistance from many mariners to even <strong>trying</strong> anything other than 6 & 6, even though we all know it sucks and gradually wears us down like 60-grit sandpaper, never ceases to amaze me. Tugboats bump into stuff? No shit? We stand 6 & 6 solely because we’re in a 2-watch system and it’s what everyone is accustomed to, nothing more. The phenomenon, and problem, is known as <strong>inertia</strong>: the tendency for any object to continue doing whatever it happens to be doing until such time as an outside force acts upon it causing it to do something else. That’s the mariner’s affliction that causes us to continue with 6 & 6 long past the point that we should have moved on…

Good analogy Johnny Depp. That’s precisely why I left the tugs.

Just read the new NVIC. Only the federal government could come up with a 40 page document to assist a person with 8 yeears of higher education in filling out a 2 page form!