Has "Falls of Clyde" Been Scrapped?

Falls of Clyde is the last remaining sailing oil tanker in existence. For the last several years she has made her home as a museum ship in Hawaii but has recently fallen on hard financial times, along with the rest of us. Not sure what to do with her, there was talk of her being scrapped or sunk as a reef off the coast of Hawaii. I was under the impression that neither of those things had happened until, earlier today, I heard a rumor that she had crossed the bar.

Has anyone seen this ship afloat lately?

nothing on the website Friends of Falls of Clyde but there is this photo of her derigged

I hope she gets a well earned drydocking soon. Where the hell is Matson Lines to help this worthy cause?

Counting their money and laughing?

[QUOTE=c.captain;126117]Where the hell is Matson Lines to help this worthy cause?[/QUOTE]

You know, I never thought of that but that’s not a half bad idea. It would be great PR for them and judging by what they just forked over to AKER for a couple of box boats I’d say they can probably afford a cool million or so to whip this old puppy into proper shape. I can see it now: “The Matson Lines Ltd. Falls of Clyde Memorial Visiting Center and Maritime Museum” and their new PR pitch: “Matson Lines Ltd.: Good for history, good for the community, and good for Hawaii.”

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;126119]You know, I never thought of that but that’s not a half bad idea. It would be great PR for them and judging by what they just forked over to AKER for a couple of box boats I’d say they can probably afford a cool million or so to whip this old puppy into proper shape. I can see it now: “The Matson Lines Ltd. Falls of Clyde Memorial Visiting Center and Maritime Museum” and their new PR pitch: “Matson Lines Ltd.: Good for history, good for the community, and good for Hawaii.”[/QUOTE]

For God’s sake man…STOP MAKING SENSE!

They need the good PR after their mollases spill a few months ago.

[QUOTE=gulf_engineer;126132]They need the good PR after their mollases spill a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

Any Matson Lines Ltd. big-wigs on hear reading this stuff? I accept checks in exchange for my unparalleled ability to generate good ideas for your company.

Still counting their money and laughing

[QUOTE=“c.captain;126117”]nothing on the website Friends of Falls of Clyde but there is this photo of her derigged

I hope she gets a well earned drydocking soon. Where the hell is Matson Lines to help this worthy cause?[/QUOTE]

Yesterday was the 135 birthday party for the Falls. There is a small group of dedicated volunteers trying to save the ship, but without some corporate sponsors it is probably too little too late. Once R.J. Pfeiffer passed away, Matson’s support of the project evaporated quickly. Here is a blog of one of the most dedicated volunteers:

[QUOTE=fullbell;126207]Once R.J. Pfeiffer passed away, Matson’s support of the project evaporated quickly. [/QUOTE]

Lousy effing BASTARDS to pull their support for a treasure such at the FoC! Once part of their fleet, their support should be perpetual but there is a major American corporation for you…PROFITS RULE!

Unfortunately, once these boats stop moving - like the rest of us - they begin to die a slow death. At some point you have to stop throwing good money after bad. From the photo it looks like the biggest claim it can make is - it floats.

[QUOTE=PMC;126488]From the photo it looks like the biggest claim it can make is - it floats.[/QUOTE]

which in reality if biggest problem…if a historic vessel will never sail or steam again then there is no reason that said vessel needs to remain afloat. Dig a big pit, tow in and then backfill or use a graving dock like the CUTTY SARK.

Which is why the State of Texas has their head up their ass trying to keep the Battleship TEXAS afloat. Now, finally there are plans to get it out of the water. Let’s see what kid of appetite there is from the tax payers. Of course they willingly buy stadiums. . . .

It’s never been the same after RJP passed.

What was Matson’s support for the project before R. J. Pfieffer passed away?

A very, very old thread but probably the one most appropriate. It looks like the Falls of Clyde is in seriously poor condition
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/01/30/breaking-news/historic-ship-falls-of-clyde-is-taking-on-water-state-officials-say/

They were given until February 6th (or 9th?) to vacate the premises. http://www.friendsoffallsofclyde.org/ships-log

Looks like it’s time’s up for the Falls of Clyde. https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/02/07/breaking-news/state-puts-falls-of-clyde-up-for-auction-after-decade-of-waiting/

I don’t think it would survive the tow to Alang.

you know the vessel is so small that economically it makes no sense to pay the costs to tow her to Alang plus the chances of getting an underwriter to issue a policy against the ship making it anywhere is pretty damned low. I say that the State will be waiting a very long time to be rid of the FOC. They should simply give it away to the group from Scotland

My “Alang” comment was made dripping with sarcasm. The State was more than happy to give it to whomever would get it out of the harbor. It all comes down to money to move it. The group wanting to get it to Scotland hasn’t been able to raise enough funds. The heavy lift companies that do that sort of thing won’t do it for free.

The state wants bidders to put up a $1.5 million performance bond to guarantee removal within 60 days. Nobody is going bid with that condition.

The state is ultimately going to end up paying someone quite a bit of money to remove it.