Got accepted to Maine Maritime. Tough decision to make

If you’re gonna go to any maritime, especially maine, dump your girlfriend before your senior year of highshcool. Develop a network of girls you are friends with and hang out with then. That way you have say 5 girls you can go see for a weekend at their “normal” school, diversifying your portfolio of places to get laid…even if they don’t want it, they will have “loose” friends. If you do it right, eventually some will beg to bring their fat friends up to Castine for some attention…that will make you very popular when a carload of ladies show up adjusting the ratio significantly.

It was always great to show up at some normal school with a maritime friend or two to chase hogs and drink circles around the tough-guys there.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;127676]So where’s the OP on this one? Have we helped in your decision making process? Have you made any decisions?[/QUOTE]

Heck yea you guys helped. I’ll have almost everything done before fall and I doubt courses like thermo and circuits would transfer anyway.

Out of state tuition’s the only thing holding me back right now. GIBill is capped at about 12k a term for my state so I’ll still have to pay a fair bit out of pocket. Whether or not I go depends on how much financial aid I can get. Hey, if it doesn’t work out I can always apply to SUNY.

[QUOTE=PawpTawp;127750]Heck yea you guys helped. I’ll have almost everything done before fall and I doubt courses like thermo and circuits would transfer anyway.

Out of state tuition’s the only thing holding me back right now. GIBill is capped at about 12k a term for my state so I’ll still have to pay a fair bit out of pocket. Whether or not I go depends on how much financial aid I can get. Hey, if it doesn’t work out I can always apply to SUNY.[/QUOTE]

If you keep a good head on your shoulders, don’t screw around, keep your nose clean, and work hard (which is no more than any college student should ask of themselves, ESPECIALLY at a maritime academy) then there is plenty of spare aid money floating around, especially for a vet such as yourself. Keep your eyes and ears open, some scholarships just get handed out while others have to be looked for. Have you looked into regular college loans? They won’t be hard to pay back at all once you graduate if you stay in this kind of work, especially since you’re GI bill will already have paid for such a large portion of it.

I’d agree here, I was lucky enough, he’ll blessed to have my way payed. Though I have plenty of friends who took all four years on as debt and are not having a problem paying it off it short order.

[QUOTE=z-drive;127669]Where men are men, and so are the women. Slim Pickens, and the Pickens ain’t slim![/QUOTE]

Orono (U. Maine) is less than an hour away.

[QUOTE=PawpTawp;127750]Heck yea you guys helped. I’ll have almost everything done before fall and I doubt courses like thermo and circuits would transfer anyway.

Out of state tuition’s the only thing holding me back right now. GIBill is capped at about 12k a term for my state so I’ll still have to pay a fair bit out of pocket. Whether or not I go depends on how much financial aid I can get. Hey, if it doesn’t work out I can always apply to SUNY.[/QUOTE]

Depending on what state you live in, you MIGHT qualify for instate tuition. While I cannot talk about Maine, students from certain states qualify for instate tuition at SUNY Maritime.

Another thing to look into is SSOP. I think it can pay up to $8,000 per year. You do have to go to NROTC class, but that’s not very time consuming Here’s the link to it at Maine.
http://www.mainemaritime.edu/academics/112-merchant-marine-reserve-mmr

Just remember to be VERY careful and read all the fine print about SSOP, not just the stuff on the school website. Don’t sign any contract till you know exactly what’s involved.

Here you go:

Tuition rates for the 2013-2014 academic year:

$9,080In-State
$13,620New England Regional*
$19,900 Out-of-State

*Maine Maritime is a member of the New England Regional Student Program and, therefore, eligible students from New England states that do not have similar academic programs pay the Maine in-state tuition rate plus 50 percent ($13,620). Residents of Puerto Rico, Quebec and the Canadian Maritime Provinces are also eligible.
*Under the NERSP, the following MMA majors are available to students from the states indicated:

International Business & Logistics: CT, NH, RI, VT
Marine Biology: CT, VT
Marine Science: CT, MA, NH, VT
Marine Systems Engineering (4 yr.): CT, NH, RI, VT
Power Engineering Operations: CT, NH, RI, VT
Power Engineering Technology: CT, NH, RI, VT
Small Vessel Operations: CT, MA, NH, RI, VT
Interdisciplinary Studies: CT, VT
Vessel Operations & Technology: CT, MA, NH, RI, VT
Students from the following states and Puerto Rico, enrolled in the USCG unlimited merchant marine officer licensing programs, qualify for in-state tuition rates ($9,080):

Maine Engineering Operations: CT, RI, NH, VT, PR
Marine Engineering Technology: CT, RI, NH, VT, PR
Marine Systems Engineering (5 yr.): CT, RI, NH, VT, PR
Marine Transportation: CT, RI, NH, VT, PR

Stop wasting time. Go directly to Maine Maritime. Do your best. Good luck.

1 Like