GMLA Question

Going to visit GLMA next week, and possibly start in August in the deck officer program as they have a few spots open. I have a BS degree and have considered SUNY, Maine, MITAGS. I want to sail blue water but also know having a business background is good as well, so the MS program at SUNY would fit but I would have to start in January IF I got in. Knowing their requirements I do not have the minimum GPA mainly because I was a science major, so I’d have to do very well on the GRE. I also would have to take all the business prereqs. So I would be taking a risk in applying and possibly not getting in. Talked to Maine their full this year and I’d have to stay their at least 3 years to get the license which is fine, but thats another year to wait. I like the program at GLMA and the option of getting a BS in Business Admin. and having the option of great lakes sailing seems good but is GLMA really just a academy for great lakes sailing? I’ve read posts saying GLMA is a “less” of a academy, Why? Is looked upon differently by blue water companies? Because its not regimented? Because they use partner schools for the business classes? I may be over thinking this because my goal is the license, but I want to make the best decision possible. I’m 25 been out of school almost 3 years, for the past 2 I’ve been working on western rivers towboats which sucks and want to get the ball rolling on getting my 3rd mate license. Thanks in advance for any input and advise.

I have seen a couple GLA grads sailing out deep sea.I also had a cadet from thier about 4 years ago. He showed up with a full beard just a few days after school ended. I have heard that recently they are leaning towards a more regimented core.

There’s a GLMA cadet posting on this site, and is looking to go blue water. You should be able to do a little searching here to come up with his name, and then PM him.

In my opinion, I don’t believe it would make a shade of difference where you come from. I went to an academy as well, and it never came up when looking for jobs. The main question a hiring agent/manger wants to know is what license and endorsements you hold, and experience. The only thing to consider would be Alumni networking, that could be the only place where what academy you came from could make a difference. Example, a SUNY grad runs the HR dept at a company and prefers to hire SUNY grads.

This all being said, I am not an ‘old salt’ by any means and only have 5-6 years in the industry. But for what it’s worth, I think a license is a license… There are many ways to obtain them, but in the end, it means the same thing. What matters most is what you do with it after you get said license.

If you are looking to start in January, Texas also accepts students for the spring semester. (The weather is much nicer than Michigan.)

Thanks for the insight on my situation.

I talked to Texas A&M today, going to apply hopefully get in for the this fall for their marine transportation program, I think the best option plus I’m about a thousand miles closer to Galveston than the closest other academy.

[QUOTE=Bcooksey;52765]Going to visit GLMA next week, and possibly start in August in the deck officer program as they have a few spots open. I have a BS degree and have considered SUNY, Maine, MITAGS. I want to sail blue water but also know having a business background is good as well, so the MS program at SUNY would fit but I would have to start in January IF I got in. Knowing their requirements I do not have the minimum GPA mainly because I was a science major, so I’d have to do very well on the GRE. I also would have to take all the business prereqs. So I would be taking a risk in applying and possibly not getting in. Talked to Maine their full this year and I’d have to stay their at least 3 years to get the license which is fine, but thats another year to wait. I like the program at GLMA and the option of getting a BS in Business Admin. and having the option of great lakes sailing seems good but is GLMA really just a academy for great lakes sailing? I’ve read posts saying GLMA is a “less” of a academy, Why? Is looked upon differently by blue water companies? Because its not regimented? Because they use partner schools for the business classes? I may be over thinking this because my goal is the license, but I want to make the best decision possible. I’m 25 been out of school almost 3 years, for the past 2 I’ve been working on western rivers towboats which sucks and want to get the ball rolling on getting my 3rd mate license. Thanks in advance for any input and advise.[/QUOTE]

You can start at SUNY in August or January. I would recommend that you do a semester there as a civilian student to take some of the nonsense classes before you join the regiment. Also make sue your prerequisites are done prior to coming here.

If you hustle you can complete the program in two years, most students take two and a half.

I agree w/RASKP06. Once you have your license- everything else is besides the point. I’m a GLMA engine grad and
I get paid the same as other 3AEs whether they’re a Kings Pointer or Hawspiper. As far as i can tell- nobody really cares how or where i got my license any more than how I scored on the USCG exam. I imagine the alumni network is something to consider if you are looking for work on the beach- but if you are on a ship- what really matters is whether you are competent- and if the other guys like you or not. The ‘real’ network- in my opinion- is the one you create once you are working. Its really all about ‘what can you do for me TODAY?- and btw- I really don’t have time to talk about when I was at Oklahoma Maritime Academy and whether or not we both know Kevin Johnson- because I just fired him last week because he couldn’t sound a tank correctly.’ All this being said- if you want to learn how to handle a ship- I would think that being on the bridge of a 1000-footer going up
& down the lakes and in & out of the rivers and through the Soo Locks is probably some of the best experience in the world- well- as long as the captain isn’t an a-hole. G’d luck.