Gene Scandurra

I have been looking into getting into the maritime industry, I have no previous experience working onboard vessels of any kind. I live in Montana currently. I know that I need the TWIC the MMC, a passport, a physical, a drug test and Steve training to be eligible for work. I was searching the Internet on how to get a job on a ship and I came across gene scandurras website Be a merchant marine.com. He charges 1200 dollars for his services. And says that he will walk you through the process of getting your credentials and finding employment. I was wondering does anybody on here know anything about him? Is he a scam? If anybody on here has ever used his service is he worth it? If anybody on here knows anything about him your knowledge would be appreciated thanks.

Did you ever find any info regarding Gene Scandurras? I fount the same website and I am also interested in working in the maritime industry.

I don’t know anything about that particular guy, but it sounds like a scam to me. I find it hard to believe that anyone at any price could give you $1200 worth of help at this time.

At this time, jobs are very hard to get even for the most experienced mariners with strong credentials. Many people are out of work. Many people have taken 50% pay cuts. Many people are working in lower positions. Many people are working a lot less than normal.

Read carefully, his fee is $1200 IN ADDITION to the approximate $1300 of USCG fees and courses.

I agree with @tugsailor, it’s a rough job market out there and $1200 seems to be expensive for the product offered. I believe that most license consultants charge no more than $500 to help mariners with very complex upgrades.

Lol!!!

I am currently working with him. He says he charges so much because of the pay rate and the demand for jobs in that field . Everything seems legit so far i received my mmc a few days ago and now i have to pay him $298 so he can start finding me jobs. All 1,300 is not due upfront you have to pay a deposit to get started then another one once you receive the credential then you pay him off once a job is accepted.

Remember what P. T. Barnum said?

Everything he is offering can be done on your own. As far a finding job? I doubt he will get you employed over anyone else. Most companies who are desperately looking, pay their own headhunter to find people

If you use the search function here, you will find a wealth of information on how to get started and how to look for work. There is even a list of companies floating around. Worth far more than 1200 bucks to some random guy who may or may not help you.

Also worth mentioning is that it is illegal to charge a Mariner to find work. You really could have done all of this on your own fairly easily and with much less cost.

After reading his website, I would not trust him to handle any paperwork or give any advice worth $1300. Like the others have mentioned, all of this can be done on your own. It will take some effort and ability to research on your own, and maybe even travelling for interviews and relocating, but I’ll take that over being ripped off by some bum on the internet. I’ve also gotten some great advice from this website for free.

Thank you. Yeah im not paying him anything else. It was a rushed decision and i honestly had no clue on how to get even get started.