Future of ships

Imho they will only work if nobody on board
That might make them hijack proof
Maybe you will need to take a vendor supplied console on board to connect to it?
I can see unmanned ships taking off before unmanned cars

You would need to be paying for a satcom link whilst you are trying to hack it?
Anyone hacked a US drone and stolen it yet?

I don’t know if secure access to Operation Centers are a main issue, or problem.
BTW; In China they have got passed retinal scans for ID, Face recognition is faster, simpler, just as secure and even cheaper. You can even pay by just smiling into the camera at KFCs in China:

As for the “Bad asses” with “MP7” (or AK-47?) as security guards; that may be required in USA, where you have plenty of both.
Hardly likely to be seen in Norway, where even Security Guards at the PMs office is not armed.
The ceremonial Guards at the Royal Castle are “armed” with just as ceremonial guns. (Not loaded, or meant to be fired)

The Iranians hacked a US drone

But it is not too late. Battery packs can be installed later, if and when somebody see the advantage and have the guts to do so.

Eidesvik is one such company, who are always willing to be first to try new things:

ECO may very well be the first to try it in the US. They have shown more willingness to modernize and look at new things than any other OSV operator in the US.

Perhaps they will do let it do legs autonomous and legs under vts.
Just like planes do now
I cant see any part of this that todays technology cant already do.

Harvey Gulf has gone partially green with their LNG vessels.

Lng gas turbines might be the way to get unmanned engine room for weeks at a time

LNG is old hat and still carbon based fuel.

Batteries, combined with solar, kite pull, rotor sails and other such ideas, will never be able to fully fuel “mega ships” on long ocean crossings at a speed and reliability to compete with oil or LNG.

The future lays with Fuel Cells and Hydrogen, produced by using surplus renewable energy from such producers as wind, wave, ocean current and tidal. Not to mention mini-hydro/electric from small streams and slow flowing rivers. All existing technology, but lacking storage solutions.

I’m afraid that we’re in the middle of a variation on the blind men and the elephant parable, talking about point solutions and ignoring the system. The way you avoid that is to produce a Concept of Operations (Conops), which I’ve discussed earlier in this thread. Until I see a Conops for these beasts I will not be convinced that these people truly know what they are doing. Not that my opinion is worth any more than the bits that carry it, of course :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Earl

And yet it will go down. One way or another it will be hacked. Yet, there’s several flavors of hacking.

Note to self; borrow wife’s purse pistol and storm PMs office and castle to take over entire country, steal all of their marine technology, then make an asassination attempt on Kim Jong Un implicating Norwegian special forces and sneak away before entire country is nuked back to the Stone Age in retaliation

How can an American “Ambassador to Norway” make such wail treats?
Oh, I presume if the President can threaten to “destroy” a country, so can a wan-a-be “Ambassador”.

I can see that going bad in soooo many ways…

What I think will happen before that is you will see a convoy of OSV’s with all of them controlled by a mother ship headed to a rig. With direct data connection using WIFI to control them

That is the model proposed for long distance trucks, but may not be practical for OSVs.

Most rigs/platforms only need, or can handle, one boat at the time. What happen to the “drone” boats when they reach the field?

In most cases a large PSV carry cargo for many different rigs/platforms on any one trip.
Statoil’s voyage based model is to have PSVs running supply trips from a base to designated offshore “destinations” on a regular schedule, which cannot be disrupted at the whim of an OIM or Companyman offshore. (North sea weather is another thing):

What do you mean can go wrong?
They will lash down the container(s) and have chemical toilet for emergencies.

OK. more seriously; If the Operators on board should have to take control, I assume the WiFi system will be strictly internal, with limited reach and on a different frequency from any commercially available WiFi for your house. Such system are alrady widely used to operate cranes on ships etc.

The Operators will be taken off after an initial test period of a few months.

The more complicated systems are the more components there are to fail catastrophically.

If you doubt their ability and knowledge, maybe you could offer to assist??
Let me know and I’ll walk over there to let them know.:walking_man: :innocent:

That is supposed to be the beauty of the Yara Birkeland and the vessels to follow; they are not to be complicated and with as few components as possible;

• No diesel engines, only batteries and electric thrusters for propulsion.
  • Fast charging by shore based automatic connection at each port of call.
  • Mooring by shore installed pneumatic (or electro-magnetic) system
  • No crew accommodations and associated equipment
  • No life saving appliances
  • Fire fighting by Water Mist system.

Navigation system and remote operation system is “off the shelf”, with a few modifications.
The new thing is to train the artificial intelligence computer in all the things required that cannot be pre-programmed, which will take place during the initial manned test period.

You can “hope” that this project will fail, but I wouldn’t bet my bottom dollar on it. Even if it proves more difficult than they now anticipate, they will try and try again, until it becomes a reality.

PS> The GoM Mud Boats were built on the “make it simple” principle as well. (Some still are)

Could this be the future Crew boat for the GoM??:
http://www.offshorewind.biz/category/in-depth/

One of this type have just completed an assignment off Scotland, at the world’s first floating wind farm:
https://www.wavecraft.no/uncategorized/umoe-rapid-completes-charter-worlds-first-floating-wind-farm-statoils-hywind-scotland-pilot-park/