Future of Ships; a quick opinion poll

Hi Guys,

I am hoping to enlist the help of the gCaptain community of Maritime Professionals in all aspects of the industry. Do you have an interest in the development of autonomous unmanned ships? It would be great If you could take 2 minutes of your time in completing the survey I have created; the results of which will be analyzed and used in my dissertation.

If you know someone who may be interested, please feel free to pass this on.

The survey itself is a bog standard set of 10 multiple choice questions; the aim of which is to grasp the general opinion towards the development of autonomous ships. Please click on the following link

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/autonomous_ships

Thanks!
Mike

Apart from the police, fire department and a few others, I doubt there is anyone who wants to contribute much into making themselves useless…

Mike we’ve already beat this one to death here…

Fraqat,

Thanks for the link but this I have already looked at. What I’m after is quantative data in the form of an opinion poll survey. Once I get the results in I’ll be able to analyse it to show the opinions of people who are at different stages of their career and in different roles within the industry.

Those are the last groups that want to do anything to make their jobs useless. They have the best union protection, best social and welfare programs, best retirement and healthcare, more time off, and (under our increasingly authoritarian regime) more social status than ever. Why would any of them want to give that up?

You don’t seriously believe the DEA wants to “win” the “drug war” do you?

1 Like

Ok I took the survey, how long til you come back here with results? Is there any way to keep a certain forum member from taking the survey a thousand times to skew the results?

1 Like

I don’t like your survey. The questions are leading, the answers are nothing like bog-standard. I don’t reckon a survey-taker should be aware of the survey-writer’s opinion. Many of the questions presume that the survey-taker agrees with your thesis. If you’re interested in other people’s opinions for honest reasons, you should write fair questions. If you’re trying to make an argument and you need “data” to support your point, this is a slimey method. Its double-irksome that someone who seems to want to use mariners opinions to back up an argument in support of unmanned ships, doesn’t seem to know who is manning ships now and why that matters. I will give you a hint: they aren’t all “crew.”

Dear Fraqrat,

Thanks for that. I’m not sure how long I’ll keep the survey open for. I’m going to use the results as a small part of a much larger dissertation; to which I haven’t been given a deadline date yet. It will depend when the deadline date is and any work constraints I have basically.

As for any members repeatedly taking the questionnaire, I’ve checked the survey website and I believe once you click on the link again, there is an informed message stating that’ you have already taken the survey’. Anyway, I think the risk of anyone doing this is quite low, unless you are ‘Emrobu’, who clearly loves a good survey!

Dear Emrobu,

Thank you for your criticism, although, constructive rather than destructive would have been more well received. You clearly have a burning passion for questionnaires. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, I’ll leave other more judgemental members to decide…

To revert on a few points you have made:

‘_the answers are nothing like bog standard’ - Firstly, you’ll note by going to my original post that it is the questions I have said are bog standard; not the answers. They are a set of multiple choice questions; a couple of which there is an option to write a comment. You’ll notice from the questions that I have not asked you for the mathematics regarding a space shuttle’s orbit around the moon. In fact far from it. Simple questions. Simple answers.

'I don’t reckon a survey taker should be aware of the writers opinion’- My opinion is irrelevant. It is based on research conducted by industry experts which show there will be job losses. Its blatantly obvious. Now as the impact of unmanned vessels on the shipping industry is going to be huge and spanning pretty much every department you can think of, I ask you how am I supposed to put that into a short introduction without putting people off from completing the survey?__

‘’__Many of the questions presume that the survey-taker agrees with your thesis. If you’re interested in other people’s opinions for honest reasons, you should write fair questions’ - No they don’t. That’s the reason there are answers to the questions. Having said that, the whole point is to grasp the opinion of people from different sectors of the industry, whether on board or not, whether they would go for unmanned vessels. To this end, its a simple opinion poll which pits the idea of ‘If you had a choice between choosing between a manned ship which could operate at reduced operating costs elsewhere to keep it manned, or an unmanned ship at reducing crew operating costs, what would you do?’

‘If you’re trying to make an argument and you need “data” to support your point, this is a slimey method. Its double-irksome that someone who seems to want to use mariners opinions to back up an argument in support of unmanned ships, doesn’t seem to know who is manning ships now and why that matters. I will give you a hint: they aren’t all “crew.”’- To call this a slimey method is in my view, quite funny. This is a simple opinion poll on unmanned ships and a possible solution to keeping ships manned. That’s it. Nothing more nothing less. It’s just an idea. This is not a government funded opinion poll regarding a controversial policy on abortion for example. This is why I find it funny. You’ve taken this a bit too seriously. Furthermore, suggesting that I don’t know who is manning ships now is a bit, well…irksome. Perhaps if I changed the wording to ‘shipboard personnel’ this may sit well with you; or even better, perhaps if I gave extra sections for each individual rank or position on board then this would make you feel even more fantastic. Unfortunately though, this is a free survey which comes with limitations as to the format of the questionnaire so I was unable to do this. To be able to add extra options I would have had to pay for them. In addition, coming from someone who has worked behind the scenes of a shipping company/classification society, I’ve got some bad news for you…anyone sailing on a ship is generally referred to as ‘crew’, regardless of whatever rank or position they may hold. Now I know very well that when you are working on a ship you have officers and you have crew; there’s no need for you to define the difference.

To end things, I suggest you grab a beer, put your feet up, watch t.v. and relax.

I don’t know if you read the words of one of our members cpt.Paddy which are as follows
Quote:Being part of the “young and upcoming generation,” I am worried about this hence the reason I started this forum. I want to be able to sail. Navigation is an art, and this is taking that art away. You still do not have a response to my point. What happens when transportation jobs are eliminated? How do people make money? We are all going to have to work in the factories building these robots. Do you think everyone fired from the maritime industry can land a job designing robots? You think everyone is a Naval ARC? Also, all these articles that you post fail to cover huge details. How are you going to train the new engineers to work on these or the crew to control them from the control center in the Rolls Royce video? I can tell you now the cadets graduating in 2020, the same year all this robot shipping is expected to come to life, are not training to work on or service robot ships and that the schools have no plans to change the trainning. So these ships will be designed and operated by nerds in Ohio or the middle or Norway that have never even seen the ocean?

I do believe this is, unfortunately, something in our future, I just don’t think it is coming as soon as you think.

I think the “young generation” of Mariners should be warned of this and push to resent this change. Seriously, why are we pushing to take humans out of everything?
Unquote
If you read it with comprehensive consideration you will know the answer to your question and whatever we are discussing here is overlay.
I probably cannot speak for all of us and I certainly cannot stop this development of removing sealoving folks from the seas ( forget the leisure factor ) but we should not discuss this topic in earnest feelings. Sorry.

When will there be available an all in one integrated package for me to retrofit my existing fleet?

I’m missing something here. To me, obviously owners/operators love the idea of this, mariners like ourselves won’t like it.
Putting ‘personal principle’ aside, any rational person could understand that autonomous ships have a huge safety and security concern. You can only substitute a live person so far…

Probably NEVER. Autonomous ships will be purpose built and VERY different from present day’s vessels.
On your old style mud boats you will be stuck with “costly, grumpy and demanding crews”.
But you can always invest in new vessel designs to improve efficiency, reduce costs and your agony over having to pay people.

I like the idea of having autonomous ships in port full of liquid oxygen and hydrogen.
A feast for every terrorist and a nightmare for the security people which by the way might be recruited from the former crews.

You are welcome.