Foreign Flag Vessels in GOM

All US.

A sophisticated state of the art Norwegian designed and built vessel is successfully, and entirely, manned by Americans. No “superior” foreign mariners needed. Who knew that the Americans are so capable?

BP is gonna be some kind of mad when they find out there won’t be any Norwegians onboard. They probably signed that contract with the understanding the best of the best would be operating that vessel. I mean how would a bunch of dumb local yokel Americans even begin to understand the complexity of such high tech equipment? If they can’t wrap their heads around the vessel how will they be able to do the complex work the vessel is designed to do? This is disturbing news I’m gonna have to side with IMCA on this one. No Norwegians on this ship will spell doom for the future of all GOM deepwater construction.

The official “Owner” is a Joint Venture between ECO and Island Offshore but operation is be ECO: https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=222808137

Oh don’t worry, Island Offshore has plenty of experienced Masters and Chief Engineers etc. who are ready to go, if it should prove necessary.

Doubt that will ever prove necessary. I was one of those Masters with NIS license as an American 7 years ago. Eventually, ECO took over the management and reflagged Vanuatu and the Norwegians were replaced. Most Norwegians rather work on the shelf under the 2 weeks on 4 weeks off schedule anyhow.

2 weeks on/4 weeks off apply on the rigs and fixed platforms, not on the boats working in Norwegian waters.

Several Island Offshore vessels are classified as MOU and worked that schedule. I would not have posted if I did not know what I was talking about.

Yes three units are classified as MOU (Well Intervention Vsl.): http://www.islandoffshore.com/fleet/fleet-overview/rlwi
Only the Island Navigator (under construction) is classed as Drilling Unit

There is also the Island Drilling ASA: http://www.islanddrilling.no/
That company own the Drilling unit Island Innovator: http://www.islanddrilling.no/our-rigs/island-innovator

Yes, these units work 2/4 schedule, at least when working in Norwegian waters, Don’t know what schedule they may be on when working in British waters, GoM or Brasil etc., but you may know?

There may be other Norwegian vessels that is classified MOU, but ordinary OSVs, MPSVs and most CSVs work even time, whether in Norwegian waters or not. (4/4, 5/5 or 6/6, depending on which company and where in the world they are working)

Norway is finally doing something to get more Norwegians employed on NIS registered ships: http://sysla.no/maritim/vil-gi-full-pott-norske-sjofolk-utenriksfart/
Note: This does NOT include NIS registered Offshore vessels working in the GoM, so it does not back up the notion that those are subsidized.

http://gcaptain.com/omsa-jones-act-decision-not-disappointing-alarming/

Can we please stop pretending like our new president truly cares about the welfare of working people and an availability of jobs for them? And why does Aaron Smith (in the letter Fraqrat posted) think he speaks for all American Mariners in supporting Trump?

There is nothing about these cuts that effect the US Mariner. What they will do is shift the financial burden to states to fund development projects for their own ports which will be done through local taxes or by making industry pony up. I’m sure TIGER Is being eliminated because its purpose was to ready ports for the new Panamax Ships (dredging, cranes, rail etc…) and for the most part that funding and contracts has been awarded and I’m pretty sure something else, more scaled down, will take it’s place.

do you seriously think that the Trump Administration is done with this list? Wait till we see what they propose to the MSP or any cargo preference subsidies? Of course I am more than willing to throw KP under the budget bus but that is Chuck Shumer’s furry little lap pet so you know we would throw a hissy fit if Trump says he wants to close the clown college that cannot be killed

Homer Simpson KP class of 77 (how else could such a buffoon get an operator’s job at a nuke plant?)

II[quote=“c.captain, post:155, topic:15195”]
do you seriously think that the Trump Administration is done with this list? Wait till we see what they propose to the MSP or any cargo preference subsidies? Of course I am more than willing to throw KP under the budget bus but that is Chuck Shumer’s furry little lap pet so you know we would throw a hissy fit if Trump says he wants to close the clown college that cannot be killed
[/quote]

Please explain how the article referenced effects US mariners. The article made no mention of a cut to MSP funding. What did the previous administration do to the PL480 program? How many mariners are out of work because of it?

The article was about port infrastructure funding from the federal government. Please explain to me why Maersk needs my tax dollars to purchase cranes so they can conduct business. Please explain why Warren Buffet needs my tax dollars to fund his railroad.

Looks like he has competition when it comes to “speaking for all American mariners”. We have a couple of spokesmen on this forum already.

Point taken. Though you state that the funding loss will be made up for by industry and local governments, I think we both know that industry will be opting out as much as they can get away with and forcing local government to foot the bill.

it didn’t…the other cuts are coming

That’s the rodeo. I think it will be better at the state level as it will be easier to address actual needs and secure funding with significantly less red tape. It also will make the state more aggressive with their industry stakeholders to meet their fiscal and financial needs.

If MSP was cut in the presidents budget it would have been all over the Telex Times and the AMO log, so I’m thinking our colleagues are in good shape. Besides with our current defense posture I can’t imagine the military is going to part with any logistical assets.

If anyone makes a reduction to the MSP it will be at the congressional level, so write your congressman and senator.