Foreign Flag Vessels in GOM

This from OSJ today: http://www.osjonline.com/news/view,report-warns-of-unintended-consequences-of-jones-act-changes_47174.htm

I wouldn’t be surprised if the “ban” on foreign vessels will actually be implemented without consideration (or understanding?) the long term consequences of that action on the deep water oil & gas activity in the GoM.

Not to mention that the present administration want to open up for exploration off the East Coast and the Arctic, where GoM equipment is totally unsuited.

All I can say is; Congratulation and good luck!!!

How the fuck do you figure that? All the equipment comes from Norway or some other European point of origin. Are you admitting to building inferior equipment? I know the Aviq was proven unsuited but all the other GOM vessels worked just fine while they were in Alaska.

Are you telling me that ALL the boats in GoM are now fully fitted out with Norwegian and/or European machinery and equipment? If so you have made a major leap in technology and efficiency, but it depends on how equipment is used.

You can have the most advanced equipment in the world, but if it is not operated properly you have a potential catastrophe on your hands.

I believe the Aviq was VERY well equipped with mostly Norwegian and European equipment??

And now we circle back around to your usual point that we are all stupid and only Norwegians know how to do anything right.

No mentioning of nationality in my post. What do you find offending by the statement that; “You can have the most advanced equipment in the world, but if it is not operated properly you have a potential catastrophe on your hands”.

I believe that is true in any industry and for any race, or nationality. I have seen it over many years and in many situations.

You know what you meant by that comment.

Yes I do, but you DON’T

Oh I know a thing or two about trolling, but I bow down to your holier than thou elite level trolling.

Only pure blood Norwegian Aryans can operate a vessel, inbred Cajuns are incapable of it.

http://gcaptain.com/omsa-fires-back-at-erroneous-and-misguided-report-on-jones-act-modifications/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

There is a surplus of cheap oil. There is plenty of shale oil ready to be drilled and fracked for only $5 million per well. Offshore drilling in the Gulf is going to continue at a very slow pace for at least five more years. It’s highly unlikely that there will be any drilling on the East Coast or anywhere else within the next five years.

We have plenty of time to build and learn how to operate whatever equipment maybe necessary in the future.

A country that can produce successful and innovative companies and world changing products like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Tesla, Space X, Intel, Boeing, etc., can certainly figure out how to build and operate the next generation of OSVs, MPSVs and so forth.

Mexico is gearing up for deep water exploration and exploitation in their part of the GoM.
Foreign companies and vessels will participate in this effort for mutual benefits.

As activity in the US GoM slow down the foreign vessels working there may find other opportunities across the boarder. This one did: http://splash247.com/solstad-offshore-secures-csv-contract/

Looking for a little bit of expert knowledge…

The last few years I have been working as a DPO for a US offshore drilling company (not naming names) on rigs working internationally. This company has a number of drillships that work in the GoM.
I am not American, however I just received my Green Card giving me permanent residency in the USA. I hold a Chief Mates Unlimited license issued by Australia.

I have been trying to figure out if I would be eligible to work on the drillships working in the GoM.
The drillships are flagged in the Marshall Islands. My understanding is that these drillships are required to comply with the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act.
The OCSLA states that to work in the GoM you are required to be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
What I can’t work out is how this fits in with the Jones Act requirements, as the Jones Act requires US Citizenship and USCG issued MMC.

I figured that I with a green card I meet the permanent resident requirement of the OCSLA and since I have a Marshall Island Certificate of Recognition I meet the manning requirements of the flag state and therefore would be eligible to work on one of these drillships.

Any idea if my thinking stacks up? (don’t bite my head off, just trying to get my head around US regulations…)

That sounds like it should be correct for working on the rigs where Jones Act doesn’t apply. Unless the drilling company has Houston office directives that say they want you to have USCG documents you should be good to go.

That’s an interesting question. I don’t see why not.

Thanks for the feedback. Want to keep my options open given the state of the industry…

In Norway they have the same problem as in the GoM, foreign flag vessels operating in Norwegian waters with foreign crews. Since last year NIS registered CSVs has been allowed to operate in Norwegian offshore and coastal trade, resulting in a surge in ships changing from foreign flag to NIS: http://sysla.no/maritim/denne-grafen-viser-hvordan-endringen-av-flaggreglene-slo-ut/

Due to the slump in the industry it hasn’t resulted in any major increase of jobs for Norwegian seafarers yet, but with the situation improving that is expected to change in the nearest year or two.

Could this be an idea for American owned vessels under foreign flag presently working in the GoM?? It would require some changes to the way things are done now, such as to do away with the US built requirement for such vessels. It could also induce such vessels now operating abroad into moving there to replace foreign owned and operated vessels.

I’m not aware of any but there definitely aren’t many.

I thought McDermott had one or two vessels under foreign flag working in GoM??
The Island Venture is another.