For John - iPhone app?

<P>What about creating an application for the iPhone?</P>
<P>The website talks al ot about new technology, with the Golden Shellback and giving away the iPhone early on. Why not make an application for it? It could contain stuff that professional mariner’s use all the time - maybe a calculator of sorts that will do celestial or true wind speed/direction, sailings, ETA’s, etc. I’m sure that the engineers around here could also give some input.</P>
<P>The only thing with it would be that it would all have to be contained in the app, so when you’re more than 15-20 miles out, which most of us are most of the time, it will still work without any service.</P>
<P>I have no idea how to make an app, or I would think of doing this myself.</P>
<P>Any ideas? </P>

Oh, and you guys could even make money off of it - I know I would pay a few dollars for something that would make life on the bridge a little easier.

Nobody?

Hey New3m,<br><br>My apologies, I’ve been on a whirlwind tour of the east coast this past week. <br><br>I love the idea… and have already met with one iPhone developer. If you can sketch out what you were thinking I’ll send it out for an estimate.<br><br>-John

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>John,<br><br></font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>I could only give some ideas for the deck side, but here’s some stuff that might be handy on a small handheld device:<br><br></font></P>
<ul style=“MARGIN-TOP: 0in” type=disc>
<li class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>True Wind Computations</font>
<li class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>Speed Required, ETA’s, etc.</font>
<li class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>Conversion section</font>
<ul style=“MARGIN-TOP: 0in” type=circle>
<li class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level2 lfo1; tab-stops: list 1.0in]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>Fahrenheit to Celsius</font>
<li class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level2 lfo1; tab-stops: list 1.0in]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>Short tons, long tons, metric tons, pounds</font>[/LIST]
<li class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>Sailings</font>
<ul style=“MARGIN-TOP: 0in” type=circle>
<li class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level2 lfo1; tab-stops: list 1.0in]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>Mercator, parallel, great circles, mid-lats</font>[/LIST]
<li class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>Celestial computations possibly? Specifically amplitudes/azimuths.</font>[/LIST]
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>I think these things would be a great help on the bridge. I’ve got an excel spreadsheet program that does a lot of this, but that requires having a laptop or some other computer on the bridge that you have to turn on, load the program, etc. It would be so much easier to just pull my phone out of my pocket, click on the icon, and there it is!</font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3><br>Maybe some others can point out some other stuff that could go into this? I’m sure there’s some basic stuff I left out, but there’s probably a few basic engineering things that could come in handy too.<br><br></font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>Thanks!<br><br></font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>New3M</font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt] </P>

<br>Good News! We have started programming the app. Details can be found HERE.