F'n Yachters

[QUOTE=Flag Officer;74057]I think I’m the “Commodore” Jeff is talking about but I am just a Flag Officer. What Jeff dodn’t mention is that I’m also a lawyer and the county, under ordinance s 327.02, designates my yacht club the sole administer of moorings within a radious of the harbor. THAT’s what gave me the right to order Jeff to move.

I respect pilots, my son is a Major in the Air Force, but flyIng over an anchorage with an aviation chart, while effective, DOES NOT make for a legal way to choose an anchor spot!!!

What rally gets my goat is Jeff insinuating that CruisersForum, where I AM a vice commodore. That site is THE most repected site for mariners, has lots of expert bluewater experts and has been around longer than gCaptain which I’m just hearing about for the first time.

So you are wrong buddy!!![/QUOTE]

wow. what an idiotic comparison. You sir are a complete jackass, better stick to your little boat, amateur forums.

This reminds me of an episode in my marina a couple of weeks ago. Late at night, my friend calls me asking for help (I’m a port pilot): a fishing vessel lost its anchor and drifted onto his 60’ sunseeker. Wind was blowing about 20 knots, keeping the fishing vessel pressed against the sunseeker. So I get down to the marina to try and help, the “dockmaster” was already there (he’s one of those yachters who think they know it all like your friend at the anchorage). I asked him what his plan was, and he goes “PLEASE CLEAR THE AREA, I’VE ALREADY TAKEN CARE OF THIS, I’VE ORDERED A TUGBOAT TO TOW THE FISHING BOAT”. This idiot had called a 100 foot ASD tugboat, he had never seen a tugboat up close, he thought they were about the same size of a small cruiser. The marina’s max depth was about 11 feet, which was about the same as the tug’s draft.When I mentioned this to him in front of all his crew he didn’t know what to say. So I took over and called a small crew boat which was nearby, 5 minutes later he was in the marina towing the fishing boat away. My friend was really pissed off at the marina management and was thankful that I was there to help. These people have more ego than common sense.

I gotta get Mikey to order some gCapt trophies so we can hand out prizes because Jetryder223 should get something for calling this one :wink: Well done!

No trophy is necessary but I would LOVE to get a few more green dots under my screen name.

I don’t even know what they represent but I gotta have more.

One thing I’ve learned at the academy is that bars and stripes mean EVERYTHING. Maybe I should have gone to KP. I hear their bars and stripes are the best.

Come on man, you know what they mean. Pull your mouse over it without clicking the dots.

They simply mean you’re a bad dude when you get enough of them!!

Swampy - I’m really not as sharp as you seem to think.

“Jetryder has a spectacular aura about”

Ummm…like what the hell does that mean?

You’ll have to ask c.captain about that one; I’m sure he can give a way more appropriate response than I could muster.

The green dots suggest you have a bright future…

[QUOTE=tamugly;74165]We’re gunna need a lawyer for this thread before its over… Flag Guy we need you![/QUOTE]

I’m not a lawyer…although I DO play one on TV.

Orh-hor, I see a bounty…ful discussion going on here. Haha Flag Officer Blythe has it coming good, strong AND bloody well deserved. DICKHEAD.

Someone asked me today what my favorite gCaptain forum post of all time is.

I’m not sure this is “the best” (there are a number of hidden gems) but it is the first one that came to mind!

1 Like

Thanks for the memory John, I needed a good laugh today.

1 Like

Could you point to said hidden gems? Start a hidden gems thread maybe?

1 Like

Good idea!

This dude thought you HAD TO use 7x scope? The actual hell?

Good laugh, appreciate the bump John.

Yachter keeping a sharp look out, oh boy. The lesson to be learned here is that it pays to always have a f’n RPG ready at hand, just in case…

Still NOT funny :wink:

1 Like

I missed the original post years ago, but must say it was entertaining with my afternoon beer and BLV (bacon lettuce and venison).

This is probably my favorite as well.

1 Like

Yesterday evening’s television interview with solo ocean rower Mark Slats.

Mark Slats with his boat.

Mark Slats, a Dutch carpenter, is not exactly the protype yachter, on the contrary. He likes to sail around the world and now also to row solo 5000 km over the Atlantic Ocean. The reason for participating in this rowing race was to raise funds for cancer research, an illness his mother has.

Starting from the Canary Islands the Gentle Giant set foot on the island of Antiqua and set a new World Record Solo rowing over the Atlantic in 30 days 7 hours and 49 minutes that is 19 (!) days earlier then the previous previous World Record. He sometimes rowed 21 hours at a stretch. A year before the race he had never rowed a single stroke in his life but sailed solo around the world three times.

His next achievement will be the Sunday Times Golden Globe Yacht Race held to mark the 50th Anniversary of that epic race, starting from Falmouth on June 14th, 2018. The concept is simple, sail solo, non-stop around the world, via the five Great Capes and return to Les Sables-d’Olonne.

Entrants are limited to sailing similar yachts and equipment to what was available to Sir Robin in that first race. That means sailing without modern technology or benefit of satellite based navigation aids. Competitors must sail in production boats between 32ft and 36ft overall (9.75 – 10.97m) designed prior to 1988 that have a full-length keel with rudder attached to their trailing edge.

1 Like

I just woke up to this… Good thing I had one cup of coffee also, I nearly snorted it out my nose. Thanks !!!