F'n Yachters

I just learned a new nautical term!

Really?? You must not have ever pushed/towed a barge up the Chesapeake Bay. They are thick around Annapolis.

1 Like

Pilots around here like to call them rag whippers

Sheet Flappers
At least they are easy to see. It’s the kayaks that I spot for a moment in the fog that bother me.

We had a deckhand that came from tall ships and did a lot of sailing. He was with us for about six months before he clued in that our use of the term blowboaters was pejorative.

Let’s see
Blowboats, Ragboats, Stickboats, tree-huggers; they are all slow, and are a motorboat when the iron is running!

However, the Maltese Falcon is still a fine vessel.

Whistlepissers
 They would blow into port. Ask the price of fuel and whistle when told the price. Then ask to the use the head. Of course the price of fuel was always to much for them but the head was free. I’ve witnessed this many times when I use to work at a marina when I was a kid. And they never tipped. Blow boaters

1 Like

[QUOTE=Flag Officer;74057]I think I’m the “Commodore” Jeff is talking about but I am just a Flag Officer. What Jeff dodn’t mention is that I’m also a lawyer and the county, under ordinance s 327.02, designates my yacht club the sole administer of moorings within a radious of the harbor. THAT’s what gave me the right to order Jeff to move.

I respect pilots, my son is a Major in the Air Force, but flyIng over an anchorage with an aviation chart, while effective, DOES NOT make for a legal way to choose an anchor spot!!!

What rally gets my goat is Jeff insinuating that CruisersForum, where I AM a vice commodore. That site is THE most repected site for mariners, has lots of expert bluewater experts and has been around longer than gCaptain which I’m just hearing about for the first time.

So you are wrong buddy!!![/QUOTE]

First time I’ve heard of cruisers forum and I am chairman of one of the most respected boat websites on the net. Let me guess, a bunch of know it all sail boaters?

ROTFLMAO!

You guys . . . . heh, heh . . .

Don’t you know when you’re being wound up???

Flag Officer gets the Troll of the Year award for sure! My commodore’s hat is off to him! Had you guys going for pages and pages . . . . :slight_smile:

I have found ORGAN DONOR to be an effective catch-all term for the lot of them.

It’s hard to donate a purĂ©e

If you think in terms of percentage the encounters are not that many. If two or three sailboats maneuver wrongly that’s only about 1 % if two or three hundred boats are about on a sunny day.

The hostility arises from cognitive bias; check out this article:“Why you hate cyclist” by Jim Saksa

Despite such statistics, lots of drivers assume all people on bikes are assholes like me. In doing so, these motorists are making an inductive fallacy, not unlike saying, “Of course he beat me at basketball—he’s Asian like Jeremy Lin and Yao Ming.” Now, you might be thinking to yourself that you’ve seen more than one or two suicidal cyclists in your day—that these roaches on two wheels are an infestation that’s practically begging to be squished underfoot (and by “foot” you mean “my Yukon Denali”).

First off—wow, that is disturbingly violent. Second, your estimate of the number of asshole cyclists and the degree of their assholery is skewed by what behavioral economists like Daniel Kahneman call the affect heuristic, which is a fancy way of saying that people make judgments by consulting their emotions instead of logic.

K.C.

KA-ZINGA
 The venting in this thread astounds me. I have worn both hats. 50,000 miles off shore in a 32 ft Ketch and 30 years as Master of a “Tug of any size” (Canadian Home Trade 1). My experience has been that most “Yachties” have respect for those that get paid to go to sea. A small number are “assholes” but, so are some Masters, Mates and Pilots. I can only add that we are the professionals and it comes with the territory.

Oh Boy. Here we go again 

I just laughed for 20 minutes reading all of this.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;83911]If you think in terms of percentage the encounters are not that many. If two or three sailboats maneuver wrongly that’s only about 1 % if two or three hundred boats are about on a sunny day.
The hostility arises from cognitive bias; check out this article:“Why you hate cyclist” by Jim Saksa
K.C.[/QUOTE]

So THIS is why we Navy guys must, MUST - ALL be Fucked Up!

[QUOTE=+A465B;83922]Oh Boy. Here we go again 
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but my post introduced a few new terms to the thread: cognitive bias, affect heuristic, and
 assholery.

K.C.

1 Like

It’s just easier to shoot dumbasses and say they were trespassing! :slight_smile:

I believe the man is talking about a harbor pilot. Go figure a lawyer can’t figure that one out

THANK YOU for the entertainment, I needed a good laugh.

Yacht Club types are in fact the most pompous idiots on the water and the “Harbor Patrol” guys aren’t much better. Then there’s the “cruisers” that make it down here where I live that still don’t know anything. Then we get the guys that got their “6 pack” license and they are really hot stuff. If their GPS ever took a dump they couldn’t find their ass with both hands an a flashlight. It’s REALLY scary sometimes.

I will have to monitor this thread often to continue being entertained