F'n Yachters

[QUOTE=Flag Officer;74057]I think I’m the “Commodore” Jeff is talking about but I am just a Flag Officer. What Jeff dodn’t mention is that I’m also a lawyer and the county, under ordinance s 327.02, designates my yacht club the sole administer of moorings within a radious of the harbor. THAT’s what gave me the right to order Jeff to move.

What rally gets my goat is Jeff insinuating that CruisersForum, where I AM a vice commodore. That site is THE most repected site for mariners, has lots of expert bluewater experts and has been around longer than gCaptain which I’m just hearing about for the first time.

So you are wrong buddy!!![/QUOTE]

OH MY FUCKING GOD! YOU ARE A COMMODORE IN THE FUCKING POWER SQUADRON! AREN’T YOU?

Just look at these imbeciles? They couldn’t even get it right in the photo. Supposed to be dressed by height and what’s the silver haired bag doing in a man’s uniform? I do like the guy in the mustache with his head sticking up in the back…must be the caterer!

My ex mother in law drug me to a “change of watch” once for her squadron to show off her son in law “the ship captain”! I HAVE NEVER BEEN FORCED TO SUFFER A WORSE GATHERING OF SELF IMPORTANT POMPOUS FOOLS IN MY EFFING LIFE! You people know NOTHING and look like idiots in your stupid little Navee uniforms! Helen dear…where’s my Admiral’s hat? You know I can’t go to the dinner dance without it…how will they know I am the Commodore otherwise!?! A bunch of EFFING old kids playing with boats!

I suggest that you leave this forum forthwith “ADMIRAL” or I will really let you have it!

[QUOTE=Flag Officer;74057]I think I’m the “Commodore” Jeff is talking about but I am just a Flag Officer. What Jeff dodn’t mention is that I’m also a lawyer and the county, under ordinance s 327.02, designates my yacht club the sole administer of moorings within a radious of the harbor. THAT’s what gave me the right to order Jeff to move.

I respect pilots, my son is a Major in the Air Force, but flyIng over an anchorage with an aviation chart, while effective, DOES NOT make for a legal way to choose an anchor spot!!!

What rally gets my goat is Jeff insinuating that CruisersForum, where I AM a vice commodore. That site is THE most repected site for mariners, has lots of expert bluewater experts and has been around longer than gCaptain which I’m just hearing about for the first time.

So you are wrong buddy!!![/QUOTE]

Dude. You CAN’T be serious. . . . .Wait. you ARE a lawyer. Never mind.

Ha ha oh man this is so making my day.

“cmjeff” didn’t say anything about a ship pilot, he just said pilot.

Power Squadron? No, I am a bluewater sailor and yacht club officer.

Ok but am I wrong? Is 5 times the waterdepth enough scope or, as chapman’s suggests, would not 7 times have been more prudent?

We have a club member who is also a uscg licensed master, just like “cmjeff”, and he agrees with everything I said. Do I really need to post this debate on a forum of real sailors to prove my point?

[QUOTE=NAUTICART;74042][B]c.capt… I think cmjeff should go by this pose… "and by who’s authority are you licensed to drive [I]that effing dingy ?[/I][/B]

[/QUOTE]

Man, that’s who I want to be someday…a really nasty old pissed off guy sitting on my porch pounding PBR’s and just getting angier at the world by the hour and getting ready to blow away the first little punk to set foot on my lawn! (looking like Clint Eastwood would only help the persona but I might just have to make do with looking more like Ernest Borgnine instead)

[QUOTE=Flag Officer;74075]Power Squadron? No, I am a bluewater sailor and yacht club officer.

We have a club member who is also a uscg licensed master, just like “cmjeff”, and he agrees with everything I said. Do I really need to post this debate on a forum of real sailors to prove my point?[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOD! THE POWDER…IT’S SMOKING!

AARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

ladies and gentlemen…we interupt this post because we have just received word that there has been a spontaneous detonation somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico. Standby this station for updates on this cataclysmic event as they come in…

[QUOTE=Flag Officer;74075]“cmjeff” didn’t say anything about a ship pilot, he just said pilot.

Ok but am I wrong? Is 5 times the waterdepth enough scope or, as chapman’s suggests, would not 7 times have been more prudent?

We have a club member who is also a uscg licensed master, just like “cmjeff”, and he agrees with everything I said. Do I really need to post this debate on a forum of real sailors to prove my point?[/QUOTE]

6 Pack license, no doubt. . . . Real sailors. Oh, man. Too rich. This just HAS to be a put on. No one is THIS stupid. Oh, wait. Lawyer. Never mind.

Actually, using chain the scope can be reduced to up to 3 to 1 depending upon bottom holding characteristics, and local knowledge.

On occasion I have used as little as 2 to 1, when just waiting for a short while.

IF you are actually a member of a yacht club I would recommend sitting back, and reading some of these threads. ESPECIALLY the ones mentioning yachts, Rules Of The Road and especially the nav rule 9B.

Instead of launching into a tirade of how important your yacht club is, discover how inadequate it is in disseminating useful information…

Other than saying: STARBOARD!

[QUOTE=Flag Officer;74075]We have a club member who is also a uscg licensed master, just like “cmjeff”, and he agrees with everything I said. [/QUOTE]

I rest my case your honor :cool:

This is awesome!

I also am a vice commodore of my toilet and can’t keep my friends from dropping big brown turds without proper clearance. I even display the proper flags outside the door and wear scrambled eggs on my hat…

The best lawyers know when to settle so, as fellow men of the sea, please accept my sincere apology and answer just one question:

What did I say to Jeff that is wrong?

If you are a lawyer… And I really doubt it… You obviously practice real estate law, or geriatric law. Your (good ole boys) club MAY indeed be permitted to control MOORINGS within a radius of your club. BUT in a Federally designated anchorage you have NO say about the use of the anchorage for temporary anchoring. Come on Mr. lawyer. Look to the difference between the words ‘mooring’ and ‘anchor.’
Did your club have a use permit issued by the USCG to have a temporary RNA established?

And NO. All Captains are not equal.
Don’t bother bring in an unknown yacht captain into the fray. More mis information, confusing the issue doesn’t help. He is only getting your input as a third party and doesn’t have a grasp of what is happening. (And apparently is unaware if the reality of the legal nuances too)

Here is a perfect example of a ‘yacht clubber’ exercising his understanding of the rules of the road. Specifically Rule 9 (b)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tUoUxzt9sI&feature=youtube_gdata_player I wonder how that sailboater thinks now about his ‘right of way’ at the yachtclub meetings!

Probably something along the line that since you have no responsibility for the anchored vessel, you have no authority to tell the captain what to do.
Did all this kerfuffle go down in Florida?

[QUOTE=c.captain;74076]Man, that’s who I want to be someday…a really nasty old pissed off guy sitting on my porch pounding PBR’s and just getting angier at the world by the hour and getting ready to blow away the first little punk to set foot on my lawn! (looking like Clint Eastwood would only help the persona but I might just have to make do with looking more like Ernest Borgnine instead)[/QUOTE]

[B]Ok you can be “Ernest” (duel meanings :slight_smile: ) I got the drinking PBR thing don pat.

Oh, and for the “yachtie” topic. No wasting my time on that here, only to say the last time I had to deal with that kind of environment, I had a buddy ask me if I was “slumming”.

I said…yeah. [/B]

Not speaking bad about all boaters, just the shear minuteness of competent ones are rare, and you know who you are.

[QUOTE=Flag Officer;74085]The best lawyers know when to settle so, as fellow men of the sea, please accept my sincere apology and answer just one question:

What did I say to Jeff that is wrong?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the apology but I suggest you send Jeff’s friend a case of that expensive yacht club scotch ASAP. Otherwise you might find your anchorage the place local garbage barges are held while waiting for a tug.

Think I’m joking? Well try it then waste your money trying to fight that one in court! Or put in a “fix” with your lawyer friends but don’t act surprised when you discover the local pilot association has more political pull than your state senator.

One question, one answer.

Your attitude.

[QUOTE=Flag Officer;74075]" Is 5 times the waterdepth enough scope ?
[/QUOTE]

Yes. The recommended minimum is 5:1 assuming a chain rode lead equal to boat length. The chain lead was double boat length which (assuming 3/8" chain) add over 100 lbs of weight on bottom further assuring a solid bite. Also normal anchoring guidelines assume periods where the vessel is unattended so additional margin of error is factored in. This was a short term anchoring where the vessel would not be left unattended, That coupled with the extra chain would lead a reasonable mariner to conclude the set appropriate.

That said, mariners with limited experience should follow ‘the book’ since they lack requisite judgement. Seems you Mr Flag Officer just did not want a transient in your vista, was unwilling to listen to reason and wanted him gone before even knowing the facts.

PS- I’m still a green horn on this forum so I thought I’d blow the dust off Dad’s old copy of Chapman’s 56th Ed. Page 245 “Setting the Anchor”:

“A lightweight burial type like a Danforth is frequently set with a scope as short as 2 or 3 especially on a soft bottom. Anchors such as a kedge or Grapnel seem to set better with a scope of 5 to 8.”

[QUOTE=Flag Officer;74085]The best lawyers know when to settle so, as fellow men of the sea, please accept my sincere apology and answer just one question:

What did I say to Jeff that is wrong?[/QUOTE]

Don’t answer Jeff…he’s capitulating too quickly! This is much too easy…I suspect that it could be a trap? You know what they say…never trust a lawyer!

I know we need a lawyer of our own to battle this one for us…get Denny Crane on the phone…STAT!

Nor did he say aviation pilot. You assume too much.

plenty of blue water sailors get run over by commercial traffic. Why? Because they usually don’t have an Effing clue, and don’t keep any effective lookout (as required by ALL vessels when underway( whether everyone is sleeping or not!)) Commodore only means affluence. That does not equate seamanship.

Yes you were wrong. Wrong to assume control over something that you have neither the authority OR expertise to adjudicate. What exactly is your ‘cause for action’?

More prudent?
None of your concern. Was any damage done? Are you insinuating that you have the authority to take defensive action over others on the water?

We have a club member who is also a uscg licensed master, just like “cmjeff”, and he agrees with everything I said. Do I really need to post this debate on a forum of real sailors to prove my point?

With all due respect to the member, I have towed more than one ‘uscg licensed master’ off the beach, out of the trees, and back to safe refuge.

Of and by itself possessing a license ( as either Master OR Lawyer) does NOT make one competent in all aspects.

Regarding your comment about having this in a public debate on a ‘forum of real sailors’… All I can say is post the link. Either way, this thread link, or your own. I am sure you will find your ‘Huckleberry’ here somewhere.

On second thought, just post this link. GCaptain has a section specifically for yachts. Talk about all inclusive.

(O,o)/ …WOW!!!

Getting caught up in this thread just made my day.