Floating Strip Club Closed Over Pollution Charges

now THIS should be the catalyst to some interesting conversation

[B]Floating Strip Club Closed Over Pollution Charges[/B]

The Alaskan Leader (ex name Wild Alaskan), courtesy Alaska Leader Tours

By MarEx 2017-01-20 18:57:08

The saga of an unusual maritime enterprise drew to a close Friday with the sentencing of Darren Byler, 55, for charges of improperly disposing of sewage from his commercial vessel.

In 2014, Byler converted the crab boat Wild Alaskan into a floating strip club in Kodiak Harbor, Alaska, with a water taxi to provide transportation to and from shore. The club opened in July and closed five months later when its liquor license was revoked. Byler said that the business was very successful, and it hosted an estimated 1,000 customers over its brief time in operation; however, the volume of traffic posed a problem for sewage disposal.

Byler’s wife Kimberly Reidel-Byler allegedly told the Coast Guard that the Wild Alaskan was equipped with a 5,000 gallon sewage tank, and that raw sewage from the vessel was properly transferred to a shoreside facility. However, the Wild Alaskan was equipped with only one 350-gallon tank, and investigators found that both of the vessels’ heads had been plumbed to discharge over the side.

Darren Byler was charged with violating the Refuse Act, and was convicted in September. Prosecutors have asked for a sentence of 18 months in prison. Byler maintains that he was unfairly targeted due to the nature of his business, and says that he will appeal any sentence. “Simply put, I was selectively and maliciously prosecuted by an emotionally charged case because of what I was doing with my entertainment charter. That’s just the bottom line,” he told ABC News. “This is all about morality police.”

The prosecutor assigned to Byler’s case said that this was incorrect, and that before charges were filed, the Coast Guard had worked with Byler to try to convince him to comply.

now that this guy is outta business, anyone want to come in with me to bring the DAUNTLESS to Alaska? Got plenty of room for the pole!

I was helping the ABs remove wax from the floor in the alleyway when I was on an American flagged boat. I’m on my hands and knees scrubbing, and one smartass walks by and puts a dollar in the hammerloop of my boilersuit. “What’s this for?” I asked, puzzled. He says, “You’re an offshore stripper now, baby.” :slight_smile:

You have plenty of room for the pole, yes, I hear you; but it seems to me the question is: do you have the capacity for the blackwater?

Reading this article in Maasmond Newsclippings today I was about to ask if any of the companies and ships issued fines, or personnel being jailed, was American nationals: http://shipandbunker.com/news/am/399396-us-issued-more-than-363-million-in-fines-against-shipping-companies-in-2016-for-intentional-discharges-of-pollutants

That question has kind of been answered here, although this case appears to be as much a case of immorality, rather than for “a piss in the Bering Sea”.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;194554]You have plenty of room for the pole, yes, I hear you; but it seems to me the question is: do you have the capacity for the blackwater?[/QUOTE]

Tow the holding the tank on a barge and make sure you stay upwind. When it’s full, hire Maersk towing to take it away.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;194558]Tow the holding the tank on a barge and make sure you stay upwind. When it’s full, hire Maersk towing to take it away.[/QUOTE]

An untreated blackwater pipeline going to a towed barge in the placid waters off Kodiak accepting waste from 1000 people … what could possibly go wrong? You want to service that pump? Can you imagine all the nasty things that go down the head in a place like that? Did you make a list of all the solutions and pick the most disgusting one? I don’t think this is about “morality” so much as it is about the unsanitary gross factor of putting untreated waste into a harbour where people are living and working and maybe trapping a few bottom-feeders for food.

Aerobic microbe plant FTW, sir.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;194559]An untreated blackwater pipeline going to a towed barge in the placid waters off Kodiak accepting waste from 1000 people … what could possibly go wrong? You want to service that pump? Can you imagine all the nasty things that go down the head in a place like that? Did you make a list of all the solutions and pick the most disgusting one? I [/QUOTE]

Geez man, that isn’t exactly a novel idea, the Navy did (does) that for decades and as you read this there are probably a thousand smaller versions shuttling shit around the world’s harbors.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/swob.htm

Here’s an operator’s manual in case you want to start a pump out business of your own:

[QUOTE=Steamer;194561]
Here’s an operator’s manual in case you want to start a pump out business of your own:

https://www.wbdg.org/FFC/NAVFAC/OPER/mo910.pdf[/QUOTE]

Did you read that manual? The thing has manning requirements, fair weather requirements, a generator, a tank cleaning system, an aeration system… Probably works great, but its meant to go out and meet a ship at anchor and take the ‘cargo’ and transport it back to the dock. It is not meant to be semi-permanently attached to the ship and passively hang out in all weather day and night until full and towed away by dial-a-tug.

Maybe Deep Sea Diver can explain it to you …

PHUCK discussing the sewage…let’s discuss how to make money with having bare neckid ladies on a boat! I want to develop a business plan around this concept…we can work out all the offal details later

now you’re talking. I love those guys.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;194581]now you’re talking. I love those guys.[/QUOTE]

no, no, no…THESE kind of bare neckid ladies

See? Euler Spiral segments all over the place. All the finest hulls have them. Toldja.

Now can we talk about the sewage? I don’t understand why a guy named ‘Steamer’ isn’t more interested in the topic. Every one of us should do our doody when it comes to being responsible for our crap. If someone needs to spring a leak, they should be able to do it with confidence, comfort, and convenience. All’s well and good until one too many drops a load in your hold; that’s when the hit fits the shan. Bummer, eh?

[QUOTE=c.captain;194574]PHUCK discussing the sewage…let’s discuss how to make money with having bare neckid ladies on a boat! I want to develop a business plan around this concept…we can work out all the offal details later[/QUOTE]

YOU own a boat or two…so stock it with a wet bar and a few hotties, and put out the welcome mat.

Ever been to Miami? You’d be another pea in the pod.