First Aid and CPR

Do you have to get certified in First Aid and CPR every year in order to be legal? A young Coast Guard bos’n required the deck officers on my Dad’s boat (600 Ton Fishing Industry Vessel) to provide a current Red Cross Basic First Aid/CPR certificate when he overhauled the boat last week.

This Coast Guard crew was very thorough. They went from stem to stern and crow’s nest to bilge. The list of discrepancies was about as long as “War and Peace”.

Be ready and have your documentation in order. A twenty-five year old bos’n or ensign with a little authority, a 9MM Berretta and a crew of 19 year-olds with M-16s can make for an unpleasant encounter. They were fairly professional, but somewhat arrogant and not very respectful. A kid talking to a 75 year old 9th issue Master should show a modicum of respect until he’s given a reason not to.

It’s the first Coast Guard inspection I’ve heard of that was like this. I’ve been subject to many Coast Guard boardings, but none like this one.

Anyway, enough venting and back to the original question…do you need First Aid and CPR yearly?

Thanks

Nemo

I would hope that the mariner involved would speak to the Commanding Officer of that unit. I certainly would have wanted to know of one of my boarding parties were less than 100% professional.

The “mariner involved” probably isn’t going to make an issue of this inspection with the CO of Coast Guard Station Cape Charles. It would be his (and three other crewmembers’) version of the event versus the boarding officer and his crew’s account. What good would come of a pissing contest? More boardings? Harrassment?

When an ordinary citizen, or in this case, mariner, calls a government agency out (especially a Homeland Security Agency organization), who’s going to prevail? It would be like trying to oppose the SS in Germany in 1940. All the government has to do is use “security” or “terrorist” in a sentence and they’re justified in whatever they do.

Unless you’re ready to pay the price, compliance and avoidance are probably the safest course to set.

Sorry to sound so dismal.

Nemo

46 CFR 10.205 states that you only have to show a valid CPR first aid certificate for original license, renewals, and any upgrades. I cant find anywhere that it says you must keep it current between renewals. But I do think that the company in question should make it mandatory that all officers ,if not all vessel employees, should have to keep it current by offering a class at rig up/orentation each year.

Sorry Capt Nemo, but I disagree. I have served twice as a Commanding Officer in the Coast Guard. It is not a matter of a pissing contest, it is a matter of professionalism. I suppose if the mariner managed to be rude and arrogant in his complaint it might not mean much, but I can assure you that on the front line CO’s are very interested in hearing when the public has issues with their boarding parties.

See 46 CFR 28.210(b):
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/octqtr/46cfr28.210.htm

Thanks Mr. Cavo!

Besides the legality of the matter, its not a bad idea to have those kind of skills. the American Heart Assoc. and the US Red Cross both issue CPR certs, one issues for 2 years, one for 1 year. I cannot remember which is which.

I believe the Red Cross is for 1 year.

My First Aid card says “The American Red Cross recognizes this certificate as valid for 3 years from completion date”. The CPR/AED is good for 1 year.

Thanks for the information Mr. Cavo. That answers that.

Robert, I hope your stance on professionalism is the standard throughout the USCG. I’ve never had a bad experience with a boarding party but I suppose anything is possible!

Thank you both for your service.

Nemo

I’ve needed to stay current in FA/CPR to work as a kayak instructor/raft guide since 1990. ARC FA is good for 3 years, CPR for one. I think AHA CPR is good for two.

Yea, my First Aid is for 3 years, my CPR/AED is for 1 year.

[quote=Capt. Nemo;10733]My First Aid card says “The American Red Cross recognizes this certificate as valid for 3 years from completion date”. The CPR/AED is good for 1 year.

Thanks for the information Mr. Cavo. That answers that.

Robert, I hope your stance on professionalism is the standard throughout the USCG. I’ve never had a bad experience with a boarding party but I suppose anything is possible!

Thank you both for your service.

Nemo[/quote]

Thanks Captain Nemo! I can say that I loved all of my 24 years of service!

I have never had a bad uscg boarding nor have I had any of them ask for any thing more than mmd or license but customs on the other hand treat you like crimnal from the get go and
Q’s don’t you have the right to be in your stateroom when they search it

My AED/CPR card is good for two years and my first aid is good for 3.