First Aid and CPR Classes

Does anyone know if the coast guard would accept an online class for CPR and First Aid for my STCW requirements?

To meet STCW requirements it would have to be a Coast Guard approved First Aid/CPR course.

[QUOTE=Robert;48122]To meet STCW requirements it would have to be a Coast Guard approved First Aid/CPR course.[/QUOTE]

In the letter I got from the USCG it stated that the courses could be from the American Red Cross. I am just not sure if the online courses count for the CG. I emailed the NMC today and asked the question.

i think it would be a good idea to actually learn how to do it, IE: on the dummies, ect, rather then an “online class” especially if this is your first time learning CPR, you never know when you may need it… but in response to your question, i would think as long as you have the cards saying you passed and are certified, i dont think it would matter if it was online or not, i could be wrong though.

[QUOTE=Tugboattim;48159]i think it would be a good idea to actually learn how to do it, IE: on the dummies, ect, rather then an “online class” especially if this is your first time learning CPR, you never know when you may need it… but in response to your question, i would think as long as you have the cards saying you passed and are certified, i dont think it would matter if it was online or not, i could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

I have taken the course multiple times, even through my company but the coast guard wouldn’t accept that and the one through the sea-school I did expired.

I have done an online course that was accepted. But it was a renewal and I already have the Med 1st Aid Provider. I don’t have details to hand of which class it was but I would stress and echo above comment that never for a first time certification.

older thread on the subject,last i new none were approved for the ST W but they have changed since jan 2010

[QUOTE=jmack383;48123]In the letter I got from the USCG it stated that the courses could be from the American Red Cross. I am just not sure if the online courses count for the CG. I emailed the NMC today and asked the question.[/QUOTE]

The courses must be Coast Guard approved for STCW, and we have not and will not approve a course that is entirely on-line. There needs to ne “live” exams and practical demonstrations.

SOME American Red Cross courses are approved, but none that are entirely on-line.

You never know where life will take you. 1) I would do a live class just so you’re better trained. 2) Even if the CG accepts online only (which they don’t), you never know what other jobs or places you’ll go that will require an in-person certification. 3) I would do the AHA. Not everyone accepts Red Cross and they’re usually almost twice as expensive. A company like this one that teaches CPR and First Aid is a good choice. They’re reputable, have lots of class times and formats, and priced reasonably. They also talk about what to look for in a good training company.

Hello jmack383,
Thanks for sharing details but you can’t share a online course details so, please share another website this route I learn STCW details you can share another link. I have an idea CPR Classes Near Me you should try this after another query you can ask me.
Thanks again!