Finding Deep Sea Jobs

I know that a lot of the tug companies are hiring right now, but I really want to sail deep sea for a while - I’d love to move my license up, and I just can’t do that on a tug.

Hey, no problem. Have fun sitting on the beach. Have you been to MSC, or NOAA? How about Mercy Ships? They don’t pay but you’ll get your seatime fast.

<P>MSC isn’t hiring any 3/Ms right now, because they overhired way to many over the past year, and they haven’t had enough people leave yet to be hiring more. NOAA isn’t looking for anybody either, and as for Mercy Ships, well, I have a pretty good amount of student loans to pay, and they start calling in November.<br><br>I don’t know - MEBA seems like an OK route right now - a friend of mine was waiting for about a month and just landed a gig on a Ro/Ro, making some pretty good money.</P>

I’m surprised by the NOAA thing. I heard from a NOAA C/O the other day that they have over 50 billets that are unfilled right now.

Yea, they’re advertising for a lot of engineers, but I didn’t see anything for the deck side.

Weird. This was deck officer slots he was referring to.

Intersting - on their website, there is no mention of any deck side jobs - at least that I could find.

Well, he was a NOAA guy… that could explain a lot!

Don’t overlook the ITBs for your tonnage requirements to upgrade. I don’t know for certain, but I think the CG is giving credit for combined tonnage on the ATBs in some cases.

MSC has 3M spots that they are actively recruiting. Call the 1 800 MSC JOBS number and talk to someone personally.<br><br>NOAA rarely hires deck officers from outside. There are several commercial deck officers but they have been around for quite some time.<br><br>The oilfield is probably the easiest place to move up right now. Not only are there numerous boats but most of the companies will pay for your education as well.

injunear,<br><br>I’m not sure but I think it is dependent on the type of coupling the ITB uses. Don’t ask me what type that is.

<P>Master Mates and Pilots is always a good option. You won’t get locked in with one company and they have their training facility for banging out the CMM class requirements.</P>
<P>Just don’t be picky as an applicant and grab whatever you can.</P>

Well sitting on the 4-8 watch…sailing with a blue and gold stack over my head…I can assure you, MSC is NOT looking for any 3rd Mates right now, infact we are 3rd Mate fat now…and 2nd Mate thin (as Im anticipating getting a late relief in about 30days!!!) But thats the cycle here at MSC, they hire to many of one kind, and then end up being to short on another. Thats what happens when they let folks that have NO IDEA what goes on out here, run the stuff on the beach.<br><br><br>I would say try the tug route right now if you can. Go out and get your Towing Endorsement while your still fresh. I wish I had, now I have a 1600T Masters but pretty much aint worth anything w/o a towing endorsement!! If nothing else, it will open up your posibilities down the road if you ever get sick of deep sea (like myself!!)

Latest word is NOAA is looking for 2 mates for their “augumentation pool”. If you want contact info just let me know.

The nice thing about NOAA’s augmentation pool is that they will pay travel to & from the vessels homeport; something they won’t do if you are a permanent crew member. And from my experience, you will be able to work as much as you want if in the augmentation pool.

Plus you get to spend time on a bunch of different ships, so you’ll know which ones you like and which ones to avoid in the future.

Just got done working for Transatlantic Lines. And I believe there will be a 3M position open very soon. Yes the pay is low but their “HR Department” is one guy. You can actually call him too, and he’ll answer questions about the company. Most importantly if he has a spot then he’ll interview you and possibly hire you within about 5 hours(possibly longer but that was my experience). Do a google search for Transatlantic Lines, I don’t have the number at the moment but it’s on all their ads. Also some general advice is to scan in all your documents and be ready to email them on cue, it goes over well with these hiring types.

Hello everyone , I just recently got my Qmed oiler endorsement I went to Baltimore and tested out. I will go back and pick up a few other ratings but I wanted to get to sea. I live in Chesapeake Va and wanted to know if anyone knew how I can get started I need to get to sea asap because I need to get my stcw rfpew i only have the bst’s so with that said i need top get to sea. Can any one help thanks in advance.

sea jobs