Favorite maritime movie?

And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck… maybe even a “recreational vehicle.”

[QUOTE=Capt ETC;154805]And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck… maybe even a “recreational vehicle.”[/QUOTE]

Well shit, we should all be so lucky. If only he knew the truth…

[I]The Sea Chase[/I] with John Wayne made in 1955 though it has been years since I saw it. Not that it is my favorite but often comes to mind when the subject of maritime movies comes up.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;154680]Phillips is a national hero.

At least that’s the movie takeaway.[/QUOTE]

Phillips is a moron.

Terminator Salvation. The radio signal that the Resistance’s plan depends on is a ruse, and Skynet uses the signal to track down and destroy the command submarine with the Resistance leaders aboard.

“The Wind in the Willows”, Mr. Toad, the mariner of the century.

The Lake Boat. Captain Ron. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

“Who is the most grotesque broad you ever fucked?” “I knew a guy who ate a chair, just because nobody stopped him.”

A good old merchant marine movie is “The Long Voyage Home

It’s a blow boat and only 1 guy, so not really a ‘maritime’ movie but Robert Redford’s flick ‘All is Lost’ is pretty intense. Mr R, Action in the North Atlantic (NMU Sailors), Cruel Sea, Sink the Bismark and Master and Commander are my top 5.

Agree with your top 5 but screw “All is Lost

[video]http://movieclips.com/PWhqF-jaws-movie-the-indianapolis-speech/[/video]

Water World is def a classic. Is there really a Costner movie that isn’t awesome?

The Bedford Incident” with Richard Widmark and Max Von Sidow.

[QUOTE=jwbnavy;2129]Wondering if I have missed some good movies of the sea. My two favorite are<br><br>1. Captain Ron<br>2. Cabin boy<br><br>What are yours?[/QUOTE]

Captain Phillips, hands down. Met the real guy in New Orleans, in December. Tom Hanks is a brilliant actor. Well-directed movie. I could smell the engine room & the grease on the port hatches, just watching the movie.

[QUOTE=albertpachino;2154]Because no ones interested in watching you chip paint for 2 hours![/QUOTE]

True dat, unless you’re trying to learn how to chip and paint.

Never heard of that one but it sounds good. What’s the story?

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;155840]Never heard of that one but it sounds good. What’s the story?[/QUOTE]

US and Russian’s getting a little too close and here comes the Nukes. Great movie, you should try to watch it.

Reminds me just a little bit of “On the Beach”. It’s only vaguely maritime but I think it bears mentioning here. Superb cast.

Life Aquatic with Bill Murray!

mockup-34799b29_740x

1 Like

Master and Commander
The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum
The Hunt for Red October
Battleship, purely for the ship maneuvering and formations steaming they did in the long shots.

1 Like