Eyesight

Alright I got this problem that may prevent me from ever becoming a mariner. I am wearing glassing. I am about -2 for both eyes. I have asked around and checked different sources to see what is allowed. Some say that at least one eye needs to be a hundred percent and other are more vague with something like being able to see “enough” without glasses and then there is this thing with night vision.
I know these standards are pretty much international, but what are they? What is allowed and what isn’t? Cause I am going nuts over here. I wish it was just listed somewhere.

You don’t need perfect vision, as long as it’s correctable to 20/20 with glasses or lenses. You can’t have a problem with night vision or color blindness if your a bridge watchstander. Your license may say something about being required to have glasses. Unless there are new medical standards for vision.

I think -2 is fine, as long as your corrected vision is 20/20. I had lasik done about 3 or 4 years ago. BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT!

Actually, correctable to 20/40 in the USA. Aspiring, you’re in Holland, yes? You’ll need to check the regultions there but generally if you qualify for a drivers license you’re fine. Engineers have a bit less required at 20/50.

Yes, and 20/200 uncorrected. And there is more so read NVIC 04-08 encl 5

Thanks for clearing that up. I visited my eyedoctor today and he pulled out some requirements from 2005 which according to him said eyes have to be near perfect. Hm, I might as well try to fly jets.
captmike, word on the laser surgery, but I can’t afford that right now. I would love to throw these stinking glasses in the trash. I freaking hate them. Ah well. I am just going to have to be patient. Working on ships should allow me to save up some money for that.

Just check the STCW rules. International recognised.

AM, ou can always finance it. I garauntee you will be happing & smiling every time you write out that check to pay the monthly installment. I think you can do it for less than $50/month.
Make sure your eye doctor was looking at the merchant mariner requirements and not the Coast Guard service requirements. I think the Coast Guard’s requirements are more stringent than what is required of Merchant Mariners.

The USCG requirements are not that stringent and you probably wouldn’t need eye surgery. I have really bad vision and wear glasses and have never had a problem. I don’t know if Dutch requirements are more strict, but I can’t imagine requiring perfect vision, at least without glasses or contacts.