Exhaust leak, need to replace flange gaskets mid smokestack

Greetings,
I am part of the crew of the MV Schamonchi, a former ferry currently docked in Bushwick, Brooklyn. We have recently discovered that the flange gaskets on both of the smokestacks (coming off of Rolls Royce V12s) have been blown out, and are trying to figure out the proper procedure to install new ones. We see two possible ways to go:

1. Prop the top part of the smokestack on blocks (the leak is in the middle and the section has two flanges about 16 inches apart, allowing us to remove the middle piece), redo the gaskets, and slide it back in,

or

1. Install some anchor points, and use some chain hoists to lift the stack off the flange.

Stack and flange diameters are about 11" and 16" respectively

Follow this link for some stats on the boat and a couple of pictures:

We are pretty new to this. Any input and advice as to the proper procedure would be greatly appreciated!

It’s a bit tricky to give advice without seeing and feeling the situation. All things being equal, I’d rather block a part up than install anchor points and hoist it because it’s less work and safer to work under something that’s on blocks versus something that’s ad hoc suspended somehow. If I was standing there with you, I’d choose the method that was safest for me, that minimized the chances of damaging the flange surface, and allowed me to get the new gasket in without damaging it.

You didn’t ask, but here are the other factors to consider:

Inspect the flange surfaces for cracks and gouges.
Clean the flange surfaces.
Choose the right material for the new gasket.
Look at the flange bolts to make sure they aren’t stretched or otherwise screwed up.
Torque up the flange bolts to the right spec an in the right sequence when you put it back together. Might as well check the torque on the other bolts in the exhaust while you have the torque wrench out.

I think that, in the end, you’re the one who is in the best position to decide how best to do this task.

I agree with Embrou above. Much easier to pull a small spool than anything else.

Need some pics, but, I bet you can pull that spool without bricking anything up, just unbolt and manhandle it out. Clean the flange surfaces and reinstall with new gaskets.

Retorque bolts after running.

[QUOTE=Schamonchi;189202] Any input and advice as to the proper procedure would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

No luck over on the yachtie site, eh?

Use a couple of rigging straps around the upper part, take the load off the flange with a pair of chainfalls and replace the gasket. All the normal gasket replacement rules and techniques apply. If you don’t know what they are it’s time to find a working marine engineer to volunteer to help with some training.

If she needs smoke stack flange gaskets she needs more than that so be prepared with the bank account. What do you want to do with her anyway? Can you please post some pics of the machinery / engine room.

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;189312]If she needs smoke stack flange gaskets she needs more than that so be prepared with the bank account. [/QUOTE]

On exactly what broad experience in marine engineering and exhaust systems was that bizarre little gem based?

It is easy to find out what they want to do with it … it’s another soon to be sad story about a bunch of well-meaning but way over their heads artists and dreamers who think a free boat is their passport to creative heaven. Google fills in a lot of the details of the Schamonchi, it doesn’t take a crystal ball to see what the future holds.

We've already established he's not a mariner, I think he's one of these dreaming artists you're talking about.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;189387]We’ve already established he’s not a mariner, I think he’s one of these dreaming artists you’re talking about.[/QUOTE]

Since when is typing things into google and implying that you have access to secret, special, privileged knowledge an art? I think he’s a 1-900 dial-a-psychic.

Hi Mr. Schamonchi

Is the top of the exhaust supported in any way currently? Can you cut the bolts and slip the new gasket in I would also suggest a joint compound on the new gasket surface’s (both sides). You for sure will need new bolts. Are the pipes rusted severly and deteriorating? or are they in generally good condition? Becarfull you do not want to crack them when you are moving things around during your gasket replacement.

1. Would you happen to know how many hours are on the machinery?
  2. Do the generators run? How about the bilge pumps?
  3. How are the electronics?
  4. Do you think you will have to dry dock her? That could get expensive in NY metro area.
  5. How’s the bottom? Are her plates still holding? Has a hull inspection been performed to include Audio Gauging, what about the cutlass bearings? Would she need to be towed out? or sail under her own power?
  6. At this age - it is probably more than just a haul out and paint job. Have you gotten any other opinions?
  7. What about the sanitation system, and related plumbing? You know there are new requirements.
  8. Was there any equipment found to be missing or damaged when the squatters were on the boat?
  9. Do you plan on serving food? Does the vessel have refrigeration machinery?
  10. What about USCG inspection? Passenger for hire?

I have a lot of respect for artists and appreciate their existence. It is the fakes and pretenders who come in an post advice about things they are so obviously clueless that make me shake my head in disgust. The guy has probably never seen a gasket much less changed one on a “smokestack.”

Most artists are quite skilled in the mechanical and physical arts as well as the finer aspects. Some of the best welders and metal workers I have met are sculptors.

Why in the name of Archemedes would you advise someone to cut the bolts? I bet if you type “how to remove a bolt” into google, you’d find a range of tools which look like they might be just worth a shot before you break out the rosebud.

And all this other crap. You volunteering to inspect and rebuild a boat from the keel up via text and snapchat? The keyboard isn’t a blessed mechanic’s tool, kiddo.

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;189400]Hi Mr. Schamonchi

Is the top of the exhaust supported in any way currently? Can you cut the bolts and slip the new gasket in I would also suggest a joint compound on the new gasket surface’s (both sides). You for sure will need new bolts. Are the pipes rusted severly and deteriorating? or are they in generally good condition? Becarfull you do not want to crack them when you are moving things around during your gasket replacement.

4. Do you think you will have to dry dock her? That could get expensive in NY metro area.
  5. How’s the bottom? Are her plates still holding? Has a hull inspection been performed to include Audio Gauging, what about the cutlass bearings? Would she need to be towed out? or sail under her own power?
  6. At this age - it is probably more than just a haul out and paint job. Have you gotten any other opinions?
  7. What about the sanitation system, and related plumbing? You know there are new requirements.
  8. Was there any equipment found to be missing or damaged when the squatters were on the boat?
  10. What about USCG inspection? Passenger for hire?[/QUOTE]

The depth of your knowledge on this subject appears to be truly impressive. Please enlighten us by providing your personal experience in the refurbishment and commissioning of floating hulks. (Unless it’s easier to provide the link to the website where you dug up the information).

Schamonchi - Yes for sure try the wrenches, sockets etc… First if the bolts are not in badly rusted condition? There are multiple bolts on this setup. They are usually like a 1/2" apart or less. If you can’t loosen them with hand, breaker bars, or air tools you may have to cut some of them off? That’s all I am saying. You might have to use either a pneumatic grinding cutting saw or an oxyacetylene torch. You won’t know for sure until you try. They might just break? Who knows for sure. I have heated up bolts and got them loose plenty of times. No matter what I suggest replacing the bolts, nuts, and lock washers upon reassembly. I agree with Emrobu make sure you consider safety throughout the job your primary concern. He has made some good points as listed above. Do you think you are going to do this yourself? Be careful not to let your wrench slip off the bolt head, or nut and hurt yourself that would not be fun. When using the wrenches - Try to push or pull away from the sharp or stationary objects. That way you don’t jamb or cut your hand or fingers. Take it slow. Best of luck. Congrats on your new project. Are you planning on doing art sightseeing tours?

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;189420]Schamonchi - Yes for sure try the wrenches, sockets etc… First if the bolts are not in badly rusted condition? There are multiple bolts on this setup. They are usually like a 1/2" apart or less. If you can’t loosen them with hand, breaker bars, or air tools you may have to cut some of them off? That’s all I am saying. You might have to use either a pneumatic grinding cutting saw or an oxyacetylene torch. You won’t know for sure until you try. They might just break? Who knows for sure. I have heated up bolts and got them loose plenty of times. No matter what I suggest replacing the bolts, nuts, and lock washers upon reassembly. I agree with Emrobu make sure you consider safety throughout the job your primary concern. He has made some good points as listed above. Do you think you are going to do this yourself? Be careful not to let your wrench slip off the bolt head, or nut and hurt yourself that would not be fun. When using the wrenches - Try to push or pull away from the sharp or stationary objects. That way you don’t jamb or cut your hand or fingers. Take it slow. Best of luck. Congrats on your new project. Are you planning on doing art sightseeing tours?[/QUOTE]

The OP was asking about rigging up for a job. I’m pretty sure he can figure out how to get bolts out. I doubt we’ll see OP again anyway.

Be careful not to crack the pipes LOL

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;189400]Hi Mr. Schamonchi

10. What about USCG inspection? Passenger for hire?[/QUOTE]

What of 1-10 is relevant for replacing a gasket??

Mr. Schamonchi,

Get in there with your tools and give it hell. My guess is you already figured it out. We got some high fliers on this forum, take it all wit a grain of salt.

Battery cables. . . don’t forget to check the battery cables. . . .

I will say it again if she needs exhaust smoke stack flange gaskets she needs more than that. So Mr. Schamonchi keep in mind how much you are investing and what the return can be. It can take some unexpected funds to bring a vessel out of the ship graveyard. Good luck to you and your crew. The last time the vessel passed the USCG inspection for a passenger for hire subchapter ? (it is a vessel that holds more than 149 passengers). I believe was in 2002. and expired in 2007. Was she moved from MA to NY in 2005? Has she been docked ever since? or have you had her sailing at least once? It looks like after Hurricane Sandy came thru that’s when things changed a bit? I do see you did get the certificate of documentation in March of 2016 so that’s good and you are for sure on the right track. It also looks like there was an LLC corporation formed prior to that, so again keep up the good work. I would like to learn about how the new or modified SOLAS regulations effect this vessel does anybody know?

It is always best to see the big picture rather than just the quick make a buck and fix this or replace this. That’s what shade tree marine engineers / techs do.

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;189435]I will say it again if she needs exhaust smoke stack flange gaskets she needs more than that. So Mr. Schamonchi keep in mind how much you are investing and what the return can be. It can take some unexpected funds to bring a vessel out of the ship graveyard. Good luck to you and your crew. The last time the vessel passed the USCG inspection for a passenger for hire subchapter ? (it is a vessel that holds more than 149 passengers). I believe was in 2002. and expired in 2007. Was she moved from MA to NY in 2005? Has she been docked ever since? or have you had her sailing at least once? It looks like after Hurricane Sandy came thru that’s when things changed a bit? I do see you did get the certificate of documentation in March of 2016 so that’s good and you are for sure on the right track. It also looks like there was an LLC corporation formed prior to that, so again keep up the good work. I would like to learn about how the new or modified SOLAS regulations effect this vessel does anybody know?

It is always best to see the big picture rather than just the quick make a buck and fix this or replace this. That’s what shade tree marine engineers / techs do.[/QUOTE]

Atta boy, double down.