Ex USNS JOHN McDONNELL for auction again

so why the FUCK didn’t KP get this to be a replacement for the old KINGS POINTER instead of that ridiculous POS rocket boat?

anyway, I am glad that it is available again and will bid…anyone want to become a partner with a miserably old crust of a mariner? No dreamers without any money need apply however…I already have one of those…ME!

What would you do with it? And a side note. What is the reserve on it?

I have no idea of the reserve price…that’s a state secret!

regarding use, exactly what she was built to do…ocean survey. She is fitted with one awesome low frequency deep water multibeam sonar spread.

She might have the multibeam still on her, but I’m sure NAVO disintegrated whatever equipment that was left in the lab. And I know for a fact she has no bell!

[QUOTE=c.captain;133126]

Anyone want to become a partner with a miserably old crust of a mariner? No dreamers without any money need apply however…I already have one of those…ME![/QUOTE]

C.Cap, we’ve talked about going in halfsies on a boat before. This could be our chance! I say we buy it up, put it on a nice long-term mortgage and then lease it to KP for the annual mortgage payment, plus say, 50-100%. What do you say there, buddy old pal? Sound good?

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;133143]C.Cap, we’ve talked about going in halfsies on a boat before. This could be our chance! I say we buy it up, put it on a nice long-term mortgage and then lease it to KP for the annual mortgage payment, plus say, 50-100%. What do you say there, buddy old pal? Sound good?[/QUOTE]

tell you what, since it is KP we’re talking about why don’t we set our sights a bit lower such as this jewel?

she’s a tractor tug so our little KPee’rs will get some very valuable training and their TOAR’s signed and everything!

Hey I’d like that thing. Could probably make some dough! I’d have to lengthen it to 26’1" though!

[QUOTE=z-drive;133148]Hey I’d like that thing. Could probably make some dough! I’d have to lengthen it to 26’1" though![/QUOTE]

I’ve actually been looking for a nice “M boat” to use as a multipurpose vessel in the San Juan Islands and over the NW generally…

plus to move the mighty M54A2 where she’s needed, when she’s needed…even if that means into enemy held territory like at KP!

I was an AB on the JMac when MSC was running her. I wasn’t a plankowner but on the first replacement crew that took her to the Mideast. Good little boat. Two 34 Ft survey lauches for inshore surveys and two RHIBS for fun stuff.

Well, what are we waiting for? The M/V gCaptain awaits!

[QUOTE=seadog6608;133368]and two RHIBS for fun stuff.[/QUOTE]

and that is what us taxpayers are funding eh?..ship crews having out playing and having “fun”!

The RHIB’s had a serious purpose as well. The larger one was the rescue boat. The smaller one was used primarily to ferry the scientists to the beach to check on tide gauges and things like that.

Now the Navee is getting rid of all its minesweepers which is bad but requiring all of them to be destroyed! WHY? They aren’t a combat ship and likely could be used for many other purposes creating jobs for mariners. Research, yacht, offshore guard/rescue vessel…WHAT THE FUCK!

anyway, read through the supporting documentation in the solicitation and no loopholes. Of course, I expect no bidders to buy something they must demolish when the hulls aren’t built of a recyclable material. BULLSHIT!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=New3M;133138]She might have the multibeam still on her, but I’m sure NAVO disintegrated whatever equipment that was left in the lab. And I know for a fact she has no bell![/QUOTE]

As a prospective bidder, I would like to know everything I can about this ship. I know she is single screw but is she CPP? What fuel capacity? What kind of steaming range?

[QUOTE=c.captain;133808]Now the Navee is getting rid of all its minesweepers which is bad but requiring all of them to be destroyed! WHY? They aren’t a combat ship and likely could be used for many other purposes creating jobs for mariners. Research, yacht, offshore guard/rescue vessel…WHAT THE FUCK!

Anyway, read through the supporting documentation in the solicitation and no loopholes. Of course, I expect no bidders to buy something they must demolish when the hulls aren’t built of a recyclable material. BULLSHIT![/QUOTE]

Does it say you have to dismantle them or is that just their suggested use because the Navee doesn’t think much of their condition? What’s to stop someone from buying the whole lot and leasing them out or selling them to such businesses as you mentioned?

[QUOTE=c.captain;133808]As a prospective bidder, I would like to know everything I can about this ship. I know she is single screw but is she CPP? What fuel capacity? What kind of steaming range?[/QUOTE]

So you are a prospective bidder after all? I’m excited now! If you get it at a half-way decent price I split it with you!

These are different than the one that ran aground correct?

yes, these are smaller OSPREY class vessels built in Savannah and New Orleans.

of note is that the hull of this class is built entirely of fiberglass construction and knowing the USN are likely laid up using epoxy rather than polyester resin making them amazingly strong. All are able to withstand close aboard explosions! Also of note is that these vessels all have cycloidal propulsion.

USS GUARDIAN (the minehunter lost) was an AVENGER class built in the Great Lakes

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;133815]Does it say you have to dismantle them …?[/QUOTE]

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucindx/ Read the Statement of Intent document. You have to reduce the hull to small pieces.

Considering that will produce tons of landfill and use huge amounts of energy and employ almost no one compared to recycling them as floating money sinks for the uber rich it does seem a bit absurd but we are dealing with the military after all.

[QUOTE=Steamer;133906]http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucindx/ Read the Statement of Intent document. You have to reduce the hull to small pieces.

Considering that will produce tons of landfill and use huge amounts of energy and employ almost no one compared to recycling them as floating money sinks for the uber rich it does seem a bit absurd but we are dealing with the military after all.[/QUOTE]

absolutely fucking senseless to force these vessels be scrapped…I pray not one single soul bids on them. Hell, it should be a pay to dispose contract not the otherway round! So many new configurations are applicable to these vessels…even as (cringe) MEGAYACHTS! Provided that they are US flag of course. Hell, even one of these would make a better training vessel for KP that the stoopid rocketboat!

I served on minesweepers built in the 50’s. They lasted up to the mid 90’s- some still serve in Taiwanese Navy.
These decommed mine hunters are hardly 20 years old and probably in great condition. What a waste of taxpayer money!

[QUOTE=c.captain;133145]tell you what, since it is KP we’re talking about why don’t we set our sights a bit lower such as this jewel?

she’s a tractor tug so our little KPee’rs will get some very valuable training and their TOAR’s signed and everything![/QUOTE]

In your google search toolbar (top right corner) I see your trying to figure out how to calculate pi. Have we finally found something you don’t know???