Dino Chouest/USS Independence tow

We now live in a country where facts do not matter. Get used to it and get in line.

Chouest has just adapted preemptively to this reality.

I guess the good news is we no longer, as Mariners, need to obtain competence to do the job, we just have to have employers who will bullshit press releases to cover up our company induced fuck ups.

[QUOTE=c.captain;196300]remember that to this very day that Chouest admits not the slightest bit of wrongdoing or even any error on their part in their fateful tow of the KULLUK…

if you ask them, they did everything perfectly and it was other factors out of their control that caused the rig to be lost like it was.

can an old dog learn new ways? very doubtfully to me[/QUOTE]

Rumor was they took 600,000gal of fuel in Seattle at the fuel dock and had 10shots of chain --90day trip vs 190 it took with smaller tugs.

[QUOTE=rshrew;196316]90day trip vs 190 it took with smaller tugs.[/QUOTE]

It’s going to a scrap yard, why does time matter over cost? I can’t imagine they’re breaking even on this tow, I’m curious about how their bid compares to the other towing companies.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;196317]It’s going to a scrap yard, why does time matter over cost? [/QUOTE]

Lot more wx routing options available with higher SOA. Higher towing speed can take advantage of smaller wx window. More days at sea, more exposure to wx, more risk.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;196320]Lot more wx routing options available with higher SOA. Higher towing speed can take advantage of smaller wx window. More days at sea, more exposure to wx, more risk.[/QUOTE]

Finally, some unbiased intelligent commentary.

After reading all of these comments about the sailors at sea right now… It makes me wonder… What ever happened to wishing your fellow sailor “Fair Winds and Following Seas”?

This forum used to be valued. What happened to the friendly, smart, and helpful mariners? No wonder why the number of followers have diminished. To this day, not many value the effort the naysayers put in or even bother to come on and read.

It’s a shame.

1 Like

Nah. A lot of users are just disgruntled with Chouest. I do agree that bringing up the semi personal info of officers aboard the Dino was over the line.

When I joined gCaptain a decade ago, I opened my account while on the Dino Chouest serving as Master, and I held that position for several years. I can say without any doubt, the vessel is crewed by an excellent and experienced crew. In terms of professionalism, cleanliness, and safe work practices - I would put that group against anyone.

actually, I think I was still on the Laney in 2007, but that is beside the point

2 Likes

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;196320]Lot more wx routing options available with higher SOA. Higher towing speed can take advantage of smaller wx window. More days at sea, more exposure to wx, more risk.[/QUOTE]

But I can’t see any of those being something the charterer would pay a premium for so how could Chouest possibly underbid Crosby, et al and not be operating a huge loss?

Of all the missteps that occurred during that tow I don’t remember it being illegally manned at all. The Captain did not set the watches correctly but iirc the manning and licenses were above what was required.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;196351]But I can’t see any of those being something the charterer would pay a premium for so how could Chouest possibly underbid Crosby, et al and not be operating a huge loss?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, don’t know. My guess is that the contract contains certain minimum specs or that the tow meets certain requirements.

There is guidance for long-distance ocean tows that can be followed for planning. There would be other parameters to consider besides just cost.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;196351]But I can’t see any of those being something the charterer would pay a premium for so how could Chouest possibly underbid Crosby, et al and not be operating a huge loss?[/QUOTE]

They probably are taking a loss. Last year they replaced my boat with a 280’ for $5k a day. That didn’t even cover our vessels wages. Granted we where an anchor boat with an ROV on board, so the expected day rate is higher, but to come in at that rate there is no way my company will compete with that with even a regular OSV.

Our office said that Chouest was just putting boats on any job they could to keep capital coming in to meet the covenants of their loans.

For some reason they do not want to stack boats and cut cost that way. To many orange boats sitting around Fourchon crewed up waiting to do nothing keeping the day rates low and hurting everybody.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;196360]They probably are taking a loss. Last year they replaced my boat with a 280’ for $5k a day. That didn’t even cover our vessels wages. Granted we where an anchor boat with an ROV on board, so the expected day rate is higher, but to come in at that rate there is no way my company will compete with that with even a regular OSV.

Our office said that Chouest was just putting boats on any job they could to keep capital coming in to meet the covenants of their loans.

For some reason they do not want to stack boats and cut cost that way. To many orange boats sitting around Fourchon crewed up waiting to do nothing keeping the day rates low and hurting everybody.[/QUOTE]

This isn’t at all accurate.

Chouest will NOT operate any vessel for a loss, and that is the reason they’vee cold stacked new vessels. If they wanted, most ALL of their vessels could be working. But they refuse to operate them at the current market rates. That’s the advantage of having most vessels paid for. Crew cost alone on most ECO vessels is anywhere from $6000-$7000 per day. They’re not going to operate for less than that.

And with the exception of the Island Venture, there aren’t any orange boats sitting in Fourchon off charter and crewed. None. If a vessel is in Fourchon, it is ON charter.

And that is the problem.

[QUOTE=Cajun Guy;196362]And with the exception of the Island Venture, there aren’t any orange boats sitting in Fourchon off charter and crewed. None. If a vessel is in Fourchon, it is ON charter.[/QUOTE]

so the mighty ISLAND VENTURE is sitting fully manned but without paying employment? says a lot about ECO’s marketing and sales departments imo

Jesus, That’s not what he posted at all. They are still doing the final touches on the boat and I assume doing all the inspections required.

[QUOTE=c.captain;196371]so the mighty ISLAND VENTURE is sitting fully manned but without paying employment? says a lot about ECO’s marketing and sales departments imo[/QUOTE]

You’re an idiot. Do you think ECO would sail a vessel from Norway to the GOM absent a job prospect?

It has a nice high paying contract lined up as soon as it’s finished testing/trials etc.

Once again the failing gcaptain forum peanut gallery are using alternative facts. They are still upset that my high spec anchor vessels are more sought after than their antique tug boats. They are still reeling from my “unexpected” contract win in Alaskan. Also what kind of businessman would operate a vessel at a loss? Let’s not forget that the industry is awash in highly qualified unlimited license mariners looking to work for a good wage. Besides promotion from within, my HR department has hand picked the most seasoned mariners to crew this new ship. This new venture will be a yuge success and make lots of money. If only you could see my tax returns you would know how much :wink:

God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers. ECO and your crew keep up the great work and congrats on all your success. From the past to the future.

Do you even work on the water? Go away.

What planet are you from?