Designated Examiner/Qualified Instructor

I am now a Designated Examiner and need to renew. My company has asked if I could also be a Qualified Instructor for STCW. Is this possible and what else do I have to do to be Qualified.

Probably not in the way they are thinking. Instructors are only approved in the context of a specific Coast Guard approved course. Instructors are approved to teach a specific course at a specific school. To teach a similar course at another school, the new school needs to have you approved to teach their course. So the only way you can be approved as an instructor is to either develop a course and get it approved, or get hired by someone who has an approved course.

To renew the DE approval, you casn send a short e-mail to D05-DG-NMCCourses@uscg,mil that asks for renewal and briefly describes your experience as a DE and operating towing vessels since the last approval.

I thought that we got extended automatically to 5 years. I still have my original approval from Perry. I assume this letter is good for 5 years, even though it says 2 years?

…for DE

[quote=anchorman;8889]I thought that we got extended automatically to 5 years. I still have my original approval from Perry. I assume this letter is good for 5 years, even though it says 2 years?

…for DE[/quote]

You didn’t get extended. We started giving 5-year approvals, but the 2-year approvals still expire n the date noted in the approval letter.

Thanks. There goes that “assume” word living up to its name again. I’ll send an email.

Thanks, That’s a big help.