Deflating DaBugge's bloated ego

You have a warped vision of life in America.

The great majority of Americans, in most of America, feel quite safe and do not find it necessary or advantageous to carry a gun. I know some people who have permits to carry, but most of them don’t actually carry routinely. I know a very small number of people who always carry.

Many Americans demand the right to carry, just as they demand the right to vote, but then don’t bother doing either. They just want to know that they have the right to do so.

I’m fully aware that there are places in the US were people don’t even lock their doors because they feel safe. They may have guns for hunting, or for target shooting BECAUSE THEY CAN.

But the argument here and everywhere else is; I have the right to carry a gun to protect myself and my family.

Some even argues that more guns makes the world a safer place. I respectfully beg to differ.
Just look at the statistics of death by guns in countries with liberal, or non-enforced, gun laws and those with stricter laws.

Now, let’s move on.

Statistically, the more civilians own guns in an area the safer that area is (in the US). Criminals will flat out tell you that they are terrified of the possibility that the homeowner (or other victim) might have a gun. The areas where more people own guns see less crime and the areas where more people carry them see even less.

The “Wild West”, despite what movies lead people to believe, was an extremely safe and polite place largely because most people were armed most of the time.

So the solution used in other countries, where few have guns, are the better solution?
If the potential victims are unlikely to have guns, the criminals may not need to be “flat out terrified”, thus don’t have to be armed either?

Actually, that is how it works in many countries, but obviously not in USA. Could it have something to do with gun obsession and easy access to guns??

If they’re terrified they don’t burglarize the house. If they’re not terrified they do. Places like the UK have a higher violent crimes rate than in the US, even though they have lower gun deaths.

Facts: http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime

Why is this misperception widely believed in the US??. This has been discussed to death in social media, like this one: https://www.quora.com/Does-the-United-Kingdom-have-a-violent-crime-rate-four-times-higher-than-the-United-States

Dispelling the Myth: https://dispellingthemythukvsusguns.wordpress.com/

Thanks for proving my point with your link:

Your term was; “UK have a higher violent crimes rate than in the US”,

Cherry picking “facts” to suite your point is beneath you!!
Leave “alternative facts” to those who don’t know what real facts are. (Or care)

True, but the closest thing that chart had was “crime rate” so that’s what I used in my reply.

Did you read the detailed Debunking of the perception here: https://dispellingthemythukvsusguns.wordpress.com/

There is a BIG gap in what is considered violent crimes in the UK and in USA.

There are plenty of guns in Canada, but they have a much lower crime rate than the US.

Most people in Mexico don’t own guns, but the crime rate is probably the highest in the World.

Well, if we took a couple of Cities off the list our rate would drop way down. Take Chicago for one.

The ones with the strictest gun laws. Go figure.

1 Like

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-U-S-think-gun-ownership-is-an-inalienable-right-given-that-literally-all-of-the-developed-world-doesnt-feel-the-same-way/answer/Dennis-Pratt-3?share=dfe42753&srid=oGkc

1 Like

Yes, Ombugge’s photo looks like the 1st generation of offshore PSVs that followed the mudboats. The original mudboats were not designed to back up to platforms; there was no aft facing control station and the Wabco air controls for throttles/gearboxes used too small diameter control air lines which led to too-long delay times between command and reaction. I have been the meat in the sandwich between pissed off charterers and non English speaking skippers, getting blamed for a mudboat not performing like a PSV.

1 Like

I believe ALS has one of the “good ol’ GoM boats” in their fleet?
At least the used to have one in 2014:

ASL Rider. (Slightly modified by the look of it)

I like the Rider’s “slight modifications”; the white house-style AC outdoor units and blue portable deck generator. These items tell us a lot about what to expect in the engine room.

When I stepped on a Mud Boat for the first time as a “Navigator”, I almost froze my lilly white Norwegian ar*s to death. I was assigned the upper bunk in the C/M’s “stateroom”, where there was an air-condition unit stuck through a hole cut in the bulkhead, blowing directly onto my bunk and running at full capacity 24/7. (The Mate liked it cold)

The boat had just arrived from Alaska and the burn marks around each newly installed A/C unit was still visible
PS> Could have been the Rider in a previous life.

PPS> You may have been around the ALS Yard at the time? I was there for the “Gava Lifter” off-hire when this picture was taken.

It looks like you took this pic after I had finished at ASL. In 2014
we delivered a largish DP jackup workbarge that started life in
Drydock’s Graha yard as Master Marine’s Nora and is now called Teras
Sunrise.

Not sure, but the legs seen in the background there I believe belong to the Teras Sunrise.