Current USCG checklist for 500 / 1600 Master Oceans & Near Coastal Download

That is to allow people sailing where a licensed Master/Mate is not required (govt/military boats or uninspected fishing vessel, etc.) to get credit for doing the job when a USCG MMC is not required You still have to HOLD the Master/Mate but the boat service does not require it. Very few people can make use of it.

Equivalent Supervisory Position

This was explained to me by my license consultant…The equivalent supervisory position was written in to account for military personnel that have job titles and duties that correspond directly with civilian equivalants…If you look in the Marine Safety Manual it talks about this…I used this when I upgraded…

My “supervisory equivalent position” came from time on a 99 ton dinner boat. The boats COI called for a Captain and a licensed mate or instead of the licensed mate the boat could have a designated “senior deckhand” since I held a 100 ton master’s license at the time and was the “senior deckhand/licensed mate” they let me count it.

Service where a mariner credential is not required such as on a government vessel or on an uninspected fishing vessel or tug.