Current Turnaround times for USCG License Renewals

I was told this morning that the PQEB phase is currently taking 14-18 days.

This would put me over 3.5 months waiting, even if I’m assigned an evaluator on Monday.

Has anyone ever physically went there? Does it accomplish anything if you show up in person and question why its taking so long? Is that even allowed?

They probably wouldn’t recognize your TWIC as a valid ID and turn you away…

[QUOTE=Gimli;135914]I was told this morning that the PQEB phase is currently taking 14-18 days.

This would put me over 3.5 months waiting, even if I’m assigned an evaluator on Monday.[/QUOTE]

I have been waiting for PQEB since April 3rd for testing permission for an upgrade…no end in sight!

The frustrating thing is once you have an evaluator, it’s painful communication wise if you need to discuss something…if you can’t get a hold of him/her on the phone, that is.

The fact that you have to email the nmc, then by the time it gets processed and forwarded to your evaluator takes about 5-7 business days is not efficient at all. If one was able to email the evaluator directly that would help a bit.

Is there any truth to transactions not involving medical screening i.e. increase in scope taking less time?

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;135425]I sent in my renewal apllication to REC Memphis and it has not been entered into the system yet. Still checking my application. I have a received e-mail from the 26th of March. When they first started doing these e-mail applications they had them in the system same day or the next day. It is disappointing that it takes this long just to look at it. I am not in a hurry, I expire in November. Looks like applying early was a good decision.[/QUOTE]

Three weeks after sending in my application for renewal I receive two e-mails that states I am missing something. One says International Endorsement and the othe says Medical Certificate, although I printed their Checklist for the renewal and followed it to the letter check by check. I then e-mail nmc to see what’s missing, but that takes three days for them to respond. Still waiting. I hope it is just a small item. It has been almost 3 years since I have had to do anything with the Coast Guard and unfortunately things are worse than they have ever been.

System is definitely broken, or at least bent and starting to break.

Any chance of them realizing that this centralized system is inefficient and the local RECs were 100x better?

I know that once a change has been implemented, it is near impossible to go back, but dangit, the old system worked just fine!

[QUOTE=txwooley;135984]Any chance of them realizing that this centralized system is inefficient and the local RECs were 100x better?

I know that once a change has been implemented, it is near impossible to go back, but dangit, the old system worked just fine![/QUOTE]

It helps a lot if you can get your evaluator’s email, so you can contact the evaluator directly. Some evaluators will give out their email, some will not.

If the NMC web site tells me “READY TO BE EVALUATED PQEB” and has for more than 2 weekswill it take another 2+ weeks to actually be evaluated once they start?

[QUOTE=ShawnYoungblood;135995]If the NMC web site tells me “READY TO BE EVALUATED PQEB” and has for more than 2 weekswill it take another 2+ weeks to actually be evaluated once they start?[/QUOTE]

I think your app is sitting there waiting for an evaluator. Once it finally gets put on someone’s desk it should only be a couple days, unless you are like me and have a knack for getting those annoying ‘awaiting more info’ emails.

[QUOTE=Ctony;135996]I think your app is sitting there waiting for an evaluator. Once it finally gets put on someone’s desk it should only be a couple days, unless you are like me and have a knack for getting those annoying ‘awaiting more info’ emails.[/QUOTE]

I hope so. I am anxious to test. It’s been 8 weeks since I applied and I am over studying. At this point I am scared that without a test date I will get too comfy and stop studying enough to pass. I am ready to test now…let’s get it on already!!

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;135964]Has anyone ever physically went there? Does it accomplish anything if you show up in person and question why its taking so long? Is that even allowed?[/QUOTE]

No, it’s not allowed. There is an unmanned gate, and no public reception area. You can only get in with an employee ID Card, or a scheduled appointment. I doubt you’ll be able to make an appointment.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;136044]No, it’s not allowed. There is an unmanned gate, and no public reception area. You can only get in with an employee ID Card, or a scheduled appointment. I doubt you’ll be able to make an appointment.[/QUOTE]

That answers my question. Why is that? Is it because they want to keep it as impersonable as possible? No attachment, no sympathy, just a number and no face?

There should be a Congressional inquiry.

The admiral in charge of NMC should be courtmartialed.

I’ve said it a dozen time, you need to ask your congressman or senators office to help. Unless they’re worse than average they should make it happen. Worked well for others and myself.

First you have to be assigned an evaluator…been almost two months and counting.

going on 3 months now since I submitted my renewal/cm upgrade. one headache after another. the renewal took about a month, mostly because I did not choose “split issuance”, so that I could have my renewal ASAP. The “2-3 business days” it takes for them to even look at your email, and then the “5-7 business days” it takes for your evaluator to review your submission, comes out to 2 weeks in real people time. if you are traveling/shipping out? good luck. It was my Norwegian chief mate and captain who assessed me while onboard, and signed my control sheets. The time it took for the NMC to decide amongst themselves wether or not those STCW licenses were real or fake was astonishing. The STCW provisions are written on the license, you have the numbers, just call the norwegian maritime directorate! it’s not rocket science. the whole process is an embarassment.

[QUOTE=edchuckBB;136094]going on 3 months now since I submitted my renewal/cm upgrade. one headache after another. the renewal took about a month, mostly because I did not choose “split issuance”, so that I could have my renewal ASAP. The “2-3 business days” it takes for them to even look at your email, and then the “5-7 business days” it takes for your evaluator to review your submission, comes out to 2 weeks in real people time. if you are traveling/shipping out? good luck. It was my Norwegian chief mate and captain who assessed me while onboard, and signed my control sheets. The time it took for the NMC to decide amongst themselves wether or not those STCW licenses were real or fake was astonishing. The STCW provisions are written on the license, you have the numbers, just call the norwegian maritime directorate! it’s not rocket science. the whole process is an embarassment.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to privatization and increased efficiency.

Write your congressmen. Most have web forms you can easily use.

"As a Florida native, registered voter, and licensed Merchant Mariner I, along with thousands of other mariners, am outraged with the current delays in issuance of Merchant Mariner Licenses and upgrades to licenses currently being processed by the National Maritime Center (USCG) in West Virginia.

A quick review of the maritime professional forum GCaptain pertaining to turn around times for license issuance can be found here: http://goo.gl/pgFCWm

As mariners, each new license, endorsement, or, upgrade usually means a raise in pay for us and our families.

The USCG, and, its Regional Exam Centers and the National Maritime Center which finally issues the new documents from WV has a pathetically antiquated bureaucratic system mired in red tape with current TURNAROUND TIMES OF 3 MONTHS ON AVERAGE for perfectly prepared complete applications. This is completely unacceptable.

Staff are often surly, disgruntled, and generally unwilling to assist mariners aside from reading information to us on the phone that is already available online. We are unable to speak directly with the professional evaluators who determine issuance of new licenses. Requests for explanations or various requirements usually result in a widely different explanations from each different person you attempt to speak with.

The National Maritime Center is a disastrous antiquated bureaucratic nightmare of an organization to deal with, and, needs significant upgrades to streamline its licensing processes.

As tens of thousands of Merchant Mariners engaged daily in life threatening work are held financially hostage by each new request for licensing and endorsements by this outdated monstrosity of a government organization: please vote for legislation that will modernize the NMC national Maritime Center and its procedures. Please apply pressure that will hold its staff accountable for their job performance and customer satisfaction. Please encourage access for mariners to speak in real time with the professional evaluators that are approving or denying licenses and upgrades."