Current Turnaround times for USCG License Renewals

[QUOTE=anchorman;191849]Medical certificate was received in less than 10 days after faxing to REC. Submitted app for removal of ECDIS restriction & leadership course and received new MMC in less than 7 days.[/QUOTE]

How long ago did you do this?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;191856]How long ago did you do this?[/QUOTE]

Two weeks ago. Just got everything back in the mail.

[QUOTE=anchorman;191857]Two weeks ago. Just got everything back in the mail.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you somehow jumped in front of the lines for evaluation. I wish mine would go that fast.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;191859]Wow, you somehow jumped in front of the lines for evaluation. I wish mine would go that fast.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure the medical certificates follow a different path for evaluation than renewals and upgrades. The last time I did the medical certificate it took ten days as well. The last time I renewed about 5 years ago it took around 6 weeks. Like I said earlier, I’m renewing 10 months early so no worries on my end about being able to work.

[QUOTE=DamnYankee;191867]I’m pretty sure the medical certificates follow a different path for evaluation than renewals and upgrades. The last time I did the medical certificate it took ten days as well. The last time I renewed about 5 years ago it took around 6 weeks. Like I said earlier, I’m renewing 10 months early so no worries on my end about being able to work.[/QUOTE]

I realize medical certificates are iodide the normal process. You shortly learn to read more than the first sentence of the post:

[QUOTE=anchorman;191849]Submitted app for removal of ECDIS restriction & leadership course and received new MMC in less than 7 days.[/QUOTE]

Submitted my renewal to the REC mid-December via email, about 10 months early, to avoid those pesky STCW renewal classes. Apparently they are being inundated with renewals because the application hasn’t been forwarded to the NMC yet. They said they have a lot of renewals to process, and not to worry about the delay because they had received the application before December 31. Yes, I have that in writing.

Just submitted mine two weeks ago for the same reason Water did. Got a different answer from the NMC about the received by date. Made my guts gurgle a bit. Said they won’t back date it to when email was sent, only when it gets entered into the system by the REC. BUT, not to worry, if you’ve got it in writing then you should be good to go. It sounds like there are bigger delays down in the FLA area RECs.

I got notification that the REC sent package off to NMC yesterday 12/29/16. I’ll try to get back on this thread when I get my stuff back to help gauge the time it takes. I am fairly confident that all my shit’s in order.

I submitted a renewal application on 11/30 to Toledo REC. 12/8 it was received at the NMC. 12/15 it cleared Medical and was waiting to be evaluated. If I see any further updates before February 1st I’ll be really surprised. It took them a month after I tested for them to review my application and print my Chief Mate license back in November.

There are several very active participants currently discussing this subject in a closed FB group page with some quality info. You may want to check it out? Remember to keep clicking on view more replies, to see the full content.

Search FB groups for this if your not a member of this group - I support the Merchant Marine

I added a federal pilotage area in March and then did a full renewal in July to avoid Basic Safety refresher for 5 years. Now my mmc expires 2021. I have always applied through Boston REC and by scanning and emailing all my documents to them.
The November statistics for the NMC showed 70% are completed within 60 days. I always called at 30, or any time the emails stopped coming. If you’ve been waiting longer you should be calling. The only to wait 3+ months are

Here is info from the FAQ that says as long as they had your application before Dec 31, you will be under old rules:
https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/faq/pdfs/STCW_complete_faq.pdf

(ADDED 07/07/14)
Assessments for STCW endorsements:
In most of the new
NVICs, it says, “Mariners who began training or service for an endorsement as xxx
before 24 March 2014 will not be required to provide assessments until 1 January
2017.” Does this mean that an application must be submitted before 1 January 2017,
or that the application must be completely evaluated, testing completed and the
MMC issued before that date?
A complete application must be submitted prior to 1 January 2017. See 46 CFR 10.209, 10.225,
and 10.231. The Coast Guard may refuse to
process an incomplete application. See 46 CFR
10.209(b). If a complete application is not submitted prior to 1 January 2017, all STCW
requirements of the new regulations must be met. If the application and associated STCW
documentary evidence has been s
ubmitted in time and the Coast Guard has not completed the
evaluation the applicant will not be held responsible to meet the new requirements for the
STCW endorsement. The examinations fall under the requirements for national endorsements
and fall under the same 5
-year transitional period.

Just a heads up for anyone using email to the REC in New Orleans on the webpage…

https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/recs/new.asp

One of the links has an incorrect email address.

If one clicks on the “Email” part of “Email Application” wording, it directs your email incorrectly to “REC-NEW-AppSubmision@uscg.mil” address. If one clicks on the “Application” part of “Email Application” wording, it directs your email to the correct “REC-NEW-AppSubmission@uscg.mil” address. There is a letter “s” missing from the address. The “Email” bubble above it directs the email to “D08-SMB-RECNewOrleans@uscg.mil” I think this address works fine.

Obviously, I know this because my application went to the wrong email address. It sat in nowhereville for over a month. I have yet to get anyone from NMC to acknowledge that this is in error.

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;194054]

Obviously, I know this because my application went to the wrong email address. It sat in nowhereville for over a month. I have yet to get anyone from NMC to acknowledge that this is in error.

[/QUOTE]

Hope you got this resolved before Dec. 31st.

[QUOTE=water;194056]Hope you got this resolved before Dec. 31st.[/QUOTE]

I have an email from NMC stating that they forwarded my application to the REC dated December 30th. I still have yet see that my application has been accepted from the REC. Most of my communication with them has been by email so at least I have a record of it. I have been too angry to speak to them over the phone.

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;194061]I have an email from NMC stating that they forwarded my application to the REC dated December 30th. I still have yet see that my application has been accepted from the REC. Most of my communication with them has been by email so at least I have a record of it. I have been too angry to speak to them over the phone.[/QUOTE]

Today the NMC has corrected their webpage. After 5 people telling me that I was “incorrect”, I got an email today stating “We actually did discover that you are correct”. Yes, I know that is why I have been fighting you.

I have a Request for Reconsideration that has been pending since August, with no final decision. I also have a new application and renewal that has been pending since September, with no final decision. I recently asked a Senator to find out why the staff at NMC are not doing their jobs.

I wii be writing to the incoming Trump Administration suggesting that the NMC and the RECs be eliminated entirely, returning licensing back to the local USCG OCMIs. The staff at the OCMIs were much more competent, and it was much more efficient to apply, sit for the exam, and walk out with a license in hand, all in one trip.

Submitted my renewal to a REC in mid December to avoid the STCW nuisance classes. Didn’t hear back, so I checked with the REC by email a couple of days later. They responded not to worry about it, as they already had it as of mid-December.

Finally received an email from NMC early in January stating that the application was received by the REC after January 1st. That prompted me to call the NMC to clarify things. They advised that even though their site stated that the application was not received until after January 1st, the REC had a note in the file had been received mid-December. They confirmed that all was well.

They can take as long as they want, Just so it is back by this fall.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;194134]I have a Request for Reconsideration that has been pending since August, with no final decision. I also have a new application and renewal that has been pending since September, with no final decision. I recently asked a Senator to find out why the staff at NMC are not doing their jobs.

I wii be writing to the incoming Trump Administration suggesting that the NMC and the RECs be eliminated entirely, returning licensing back to the local USCG OCMIs. The staff at the OCMIs were much more competent, and it was much more efficient to apply, sit for the exam, and walk out with a license in hand, all in one trip.[/QUOTE]

From my dealings with the NMC, I learned the USCG has sub-contracted the NMC customer service work out to the “Exceed Corporation”. The Exceed Corporation has sub-contracted out to another company called “Knight Point Systems”. Yes “KPS”, which many mariners have seen in steering gear rooms meaning Kings Point sucks. But I digress, I think there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;194318]Yes “KPS”, which many mariners have seen in steering gear rooms meaning Kings Point sucks. [/QUOTE]

that SIR is an ugky lie! KPS stands for “Kings Point Superior” however that acronym is not grammatically accurate so I recommend that it be changed to “Kings Point Incubates Superior Students” or KPISS for short

But I digress, I think there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

in reality there are too many plumbers in the tank

[QUOTE=c.captain;194321]that SIR is an ugky lie! KPS stands for “Kings Point Superior” however that acronym is not grammatically accurate so I recommend that it be changed to “Kings Point Incubates Superior Students” or KPISS for short [/QUOTE]
What we have here is the National Maritime Center being a private enterprise NOT a government agency with any accountability to you as a mariner. You can write your congress critter but they can and will not do anything until contract renewal time comes up. Then they will have to check and be sure KPS is not one of their “campaign contributors”.
It is what is called “public-private” cooperation. Which means you as the public pay a private corporation with your tax dollars to provide whatever level of service they can provide while making themselves a healthy profit. You decide what matters most …profit or service?
It’s a sneaky way for the rentiers to profit from a government they claim they want to be smaller when in actuality they mean “how can I make money off the taxpayer?”